Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 18

Meg on Episode 8: “…And I Thought Tiny Houses Were Bad”

Meg Caswell Design Star Vlog

Meg on why yurts are way more difficult to design than tiny houses, and why she loved Hilari’s space and camera challenge. Plus: A carpenter not quite capturing your vision? Meg’s been there (on Design Star and her own show.)

Do you agree with Meg that Hilari’s space was the most luxe? Who do you think should have gone home?

Posted at 8:30 am

44 Comments

1. I was VERY surprised that they sent Hilari home. I thought it would be Danielle. Britany and Hilari should have been the final two, IMHO. I like Danielle, but she always seems to have the same issues with being very flustered. Of course, that could be editing…

I know the bed in Hilari's yurt was GORGEOUS, but aren't day beds SMALL?! It looked like only one person could fit on it…that would not be a great place for most world travelers to stay because there are usually at least TWO people. Most day beds that I have seen are basically a modified twin size mattress. But, it truly was a work of art with the beautiful boards surrounding it.

I loved Britany's the best. I just can't understand what Vern has against her though. He loves Danielle's plants, but thinks Britany's pretty pictures are boring? Really??

I'm losing patience with the panel…. And, David…honey….love you, but WHAT the bloody hell were you wearing?! That jacket was beyond hideous… burn it at your first opportunity.

juliebug04 on July 18, 2012 at 8:14 am
    • I was wondering the same thing about Hilari's bed. She mentioned it was a daybed, but was hard to tell the exact scale once it was in the yurt.

Liz_HGTV on July 18, 2012 at 9:46 am
    • That was an actual Chinese bed, made for two. If you watch "The Last Emperor," you will see a similar bed with three people sharing it. They are more cozy than modern beds, but fully functional for two and were never meant for one. Calling it a daybed was a misnomer. The fabrics on the bed were gorgeous.
      I like Hilary's space the best by far. Had I done one of these, I would have gone fantasy Arabian nights with fabric layered on ceilings and walls. I didn't realize Hillary covered the windows, something I would be loathe to do; however, this would go with the windowless tent feeling that I would have gone for.
      The Chinese bed would NOT have been out of place as there was more trade than Westerners realized between the Near and Far East throughout the ages.
      But once again, what sort of budget do they give the designers? That much fabric would cost a small fortune, but I'd rather do that than install a hardwood floor which seems out of place in a yurt. But, hey, we have to get in our advertisers right?
      I wanted to see Hillary and Danielle in the finals for sure. Too bad. I do not think that Britany's show will go over very well. She has a very limited style preference. That is one thing I agree with the panel about.
      But the panel has disappointed me for several seasons now. I agree with many of the fan critiques of Vern and Genevieve who both are too full of themselves than is warranted.
      But leave David's clothes alone. He has a right to go over the top for artistic effect. He isn't on Wall Street!

purple on July 19, 2012 at 9:27 am
    • Danielle messed up a wall and tried to cover it with paint and a curtain??? Seriously?? This is HGTV's NEW Design Star? It won't be the show I'm tuned into. I can paint over wallpaper and put up a curtain…maybe I should be the next Design Star?

Andrea on July 25, 2012 at 4:32 am
  2. Hilari followed the suggestion that the space should be a fantasy bedroom. She was the only one of the three designers who did so. Would love to spend a night in that beautiful room. I loved what she did in using the purple color silks on the wall to soften and brighten. She made the space comfortable with the slipper seating. The bed was beautiful and the way she "dressed" it was over the top. Hilari should have won; I agree with you, Meg. Also must say David, you need to check your look before leaving your pad – jacket was beyond ugly.

MegEvans on July 18, 2012 at 8:36 am
  3. I thought Britany's pictures were average, who wants to look at a close up of grass? I thought her bed was wrong for a fantasy suite. Hilari was the only one who really had a fantasy suite. I think Meg liked Hillari the best too but she couldn't really say the judges made a huge mistake.

Corvette Lady on July 18, 2012 at 8:38 am
  4. I really think the panel made a huge mistake in letting Hilari go she has been my favorite from the start Daniele annoys me and I would not watch her show. Hileri' room was the best one and I love love that bed. Daniels bed was so boring at least the blonds bed was nice and useful and I agree I thought the art was borning. Judges you made a huge mistake Daniele should have gone home.

Heidi Dawson on July 18, 2012 at 10:30 am
  5. I agree with Corvette Laday about Britany's pictures. The colors were wrong with the rest of the room and they were too "busy" against the lattice work. Any photos should have been of larger objects or persons or something, because all the blades of grass and leaves "fought" with the lattice as they were too much alike to be good pattern-on-pattern.

Pookie on July 18, 2012 at 10:46 am
    • Pookie, Very much agree with you about Britany's photography "fought" with her best design idea of putting the canvas behind the lattice work. Expect higher quality of pictures from a photographer and greater ability to mix patterns from a designer.

Denise B-K on July 21, 2012 at 3:59 am
  6. I still can't believe they let Hilari go!! I stayed up just to see the show and took a while to go to sleep afterwards. I am still upset! Hilari is a great personality, designer and lots of fun. A real breath of excitement. I mean really Britany still has problems relating to people, Danielle can barely finish and they let the best quick thinker and people person go. I am so disappointed in Vern and Genevieve. Oh well I'm going to vote for Hilari to get the Online spot until I can't vote no more.

Sheryl Parks on July 18, 2012 at 11:05 am
  7. I so enjoy HGTV, but I can't believe what happened last night!!! The only designer who followed the rules and created a space that was an escape was kicked off the show. The colors were inviting and the bed was fabulous. The bed and colors made you want to see the space and remain. All season long you have talked about how she rolled so naturally with the environment of tv, she continued last night and was kicked off?!? I was excited to watch her show now there isn't a choice.

Pam on July 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm
  8. Danielle will never handle the stress of a series (she freaks out every episode and barely finishes) -she has a good "eye" but rooms seem alittle too styled and not really livable and Brittany's work is usually the same–and this last room REALLY looked unfinshed so it will be BORING to see the same design over and over again!
    I was so proud of how Hilari reacted when the bed fell–she just rolled with the punches, i also thought she was the only one who would relate to a younger audienceand she is the ONLY one comfortable in the camera challenges. .Most importantly Hilari's work is DIFFERENT from everybody elses…she had the only room i wanted to stay in–the bed may have been small but it was a fantasy room. Who carries if the bed rotates around and has storage if ts only a fantasy room?-plus it was too huge for the yurt! And that grey boring bed in Danielles room—REALLY? That could have been a bed in anywhere it was traditional!

nan on July 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm
    • While I enjoy Danielle, Britany and Hilari' designs…I totally agree!! Hilary should have won this challenge and Danielle should have been sent home. However, I am glad that she will be part of the Design Star, All Stars!! Can't wait! :)

KRJohnson on July 23, 2012 at 9:08 am
  9. New judges for next year, please!! No objectivity, they've wanted Danielle from the beginning even though she "flubs" everytime she's on camera. Her design sense doesn't warrant a slot on HGTV. I do like Hilari–she has a good eye for design. Have viewers noticed how few of the past Design Star winners actually have their shows on anymore? Does that tell us anything??

JamQueen on July 18, 2012 at 1:28 pm
    • So true about past winners not being produced. Bugs me when designers just disappear. I'm thinking they hold this show b/c they know contests like these are huge magnets for ratings and viewers. They don't have a long term plan for the winners, in general, unless the designer is as Fabulous! as David or Kim Myles (whom I miss).

onetuffgoob on July 19, 2012 at 6:31 pm
  10. I love Hilari! I can't believe she's been voted off. She was the best on screen and her bedroom design was so cute. It was the best of the three rooms. What is wrong with the judges? Do they know something we don't?

Eva on July 18, 2012 at 2:17 pm
    • Yes, They know about design and who has a sense of it and who doesn't. Clearly, Danielle and Brittany know design, how to put a room together and what colors work. Hilari is good at picking up pieces she loves, but has a problem with seeing the big picture. As for the camera challenges, she's funny and entertaining, but the idea is to explain what the design is all about. Not having the design training and know-how could give her a big problem with her own show.

Rae on July 18, 2012 at 2:27 pm