Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jul 25

David on the Finale: “She Just Glistened in Front of the Camera”

Design Star Winner Danielle Colding With Host David Bromstad, Judge Vern Yip and Judge Genevieve Gorder

The mentor and host joined the design panel this week as guest judge. See his critiques of the designs + why the panel chose Danielle.

Do you agree with David’s critiques? Who did you want to win Design Star? Chat in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 am

190 Comments

1. HGTV needs to learn how to NOT spoil the most recent episode on their website for those of us who watch online. Last week, I went to watch and the episode thumbnails show who was eliminated. I went to watch today and the winner is announced all over the page where you pick the episode.

LHB on July 25, 2012 at 6:36 am
    • Could not agree with you more!

@KatCharbonnet on July 25, 2012 at 7:47 am
  2. This was such a great finale. Britany & Danielle were amazing. I don't know how the judges could choose, I would have made both Design Stars, working together on a show!! Now that would be interesting!

barbara on July 25, 2012 at 6:41 am
  3. I really enjoyed this season of Design Star. I'm glad we had the chance to see more of the design process for the designers and less drama of personalities. You guys are beginning to redeem yourselves from season 5. The only thing I think you guys should do differently is make David Bromstad strictly the design mentor and bring back Tanika or Niles as host.

Phillygirlinde on July 25, 2012 at 7:17 am
  4. Congratulations to both Brittany and Danielle…you are both fabulous, with bright futures ahead. Amazing finale…a real nail biter…we were holding our breaths, on the edge of our seats….Danielle, thanks so much for not using "you guys" to slander your clients as is the case on many many many HGTV shows, both nationally and internationally. Your design sense is amazing, confidence great…and we can't wait to see your first show on August 4. Congrats again!

John Wayne on July 25, 2012 at 7:24 am
  5. I really enjoyed watching brittany in design star episodes. Brittany was clearly the best and shined the most on camera. Every season on design star the worst of the two win im not watching design star anymore because they always pick the wrong person. I feel bad for brittany she clearly had more experience.

popstar on July 25, 2012 at 7:31 am
    • AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan on July 25, 2012 at 7:35 am
    • I think Britany missed the mark with what her clients wanted this episode and that was the only thing that cost her Design Star. You have to give the client what they want. Britany is an excellent designer and her spaces are beautiful. I'm not sure what she gave the clients last night is what they asked for.

Phillygirlinde on July 25, 2012 at 7:41 am
    • And come next season you'll be watching it again. I'm so sick of hearing Team Brittany whine. That's all they've done all season. Even David (definitely NOT THE WORST OF THE FINAL 2) said Danielle deserved to win. Brittany may be a hot blonde, but she has 1 design in her wheel house. Danielle has more versatility and was consistently better on camera. Can't wait for her show!
      At least I don't have to hear your whining after this week. (And names are proper nouns. They should be capitalized.)

@KatCharbonnet on July 25, 2012 at 7:42 am
    • Not only do I agree with you that Brittany was clearly the best and shined the most on camera but Vern and Genevieve need to be replaced on the show as judges. Now we have to have Danielle on the HGTV programming. This channel is starting to be the Vern and Genevieve gang of designers. They both were not good when they were on trading spaces. How they get to judge others is beyond me. I am disgusted with their choices!

fan on July 25, 2012 at 11:48 am
    • Completely disagree – Danielle was bright and bubbly and actually designed the room for her family. Britany's pilot was dull and her design was same old, same old. The pilot's told the story.

Penelope on July 25, 2012 at 1:08 pm
  6. YAY!!! Congratulations Danielle! I am SO HAPPY for you and CAN'T WAIT for your show! LOVE your versatility in design and your personality on camera! You are the best designer chosen since David Bromstad! Go get 'em with your new show! I will definitely be watching!

@KatCharbonnet on July 25, 2012 at 7:46 am
  7. I liked Danielle all season, although she had a few missteps along the way, most noticeably the color challenge with the blue room. I'm glad she won. Britney had some beautiful rooms, but she wasn't good at imparting information to the viewer and I thought her wallpaper in the finale was just ugly. Also, I don't understand how Hilari was eliminated last week. Her yurt was the best of the 3. In any event, I would take any of those 3 over last year's winner, Meg. I just can't listen to her and have not watched her show.

Liz on July 25, 2012 at 7:49 am
  8. Danielle deserved to win ..hands down, she was the best on camera..absolutely flawless!! Brittany has great designs but she is not very good on camera. Danielle captivates her audience.

Kay on July 25, 2012 at 8:14 am
  9. Britney should have won I think it was hard to watch Danielle if Britney lost then they should have chose both! Congrats Danielle, but I disagree with the panel Britney come back next season to win it I'll bot for u every day if I have to

Lalala on July 25, 2012 at 8:18 am
  10. I disagree with naming Danielle as winner. Her room looked like a mess. It was art focused yes–but looked disordered on camera. And yes it was a cute chair but looked out of proportion where it sat by itself in the room. I find her voice is grating and she consistently had time management issues. I hope we'll see Brittany make a comeback down the line.

Terri on July 25, 2012 at 8:28 am
    • I agree that room was awful. You knew half way through the season who was going to win by Vern and his comments the way he babied her all the way. I think he railroads the others into doing what he wants. Not many of Danielle's rooms appealed to me. I think it was a forgone conclusion who would win. Please bring back Candice Olson and get rid of the rest of them. At least she was fair.

bonnie7590 on July 25, 2012 at 11:23 am