Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 25

David on the Finale: “She Just Glistened in Front of the Camera”

Design Star Winner Danielle Colding With Host David Bromstad, Judge Vern Yip and Judge Genevieve Gorder

The mentor and host joined the design panel this week as guest judge. See his critiques of the designs + why the panel chose Danielle.

Do you agree with David’s critiques? Who did you want to win Design Star? Chat in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 am

190 Comments

1. For all the people ripping people because they find Danielle's voice nasally and irritating, get over it. It is a TV show that people have to watch. Just like their designs, their presentation and how they look and act is part of what makes a show successful. Danielle's voice and over the op mannerisms is going to make many people, including myself, run. Add to that the fact that she stole ideas, cried and whined alot and broke about every design rule that they warned against earlier and I'm not sure why anyone would watch her. What is David going to say…"we made a mistake." They already made their biggest mistake when Hilari was let go. She was instant audience. It isn't like many of these other winners became anything so why not take a shot on someone who brings people in vs someone who is safe, nasally and bland.

CMiller on July 26, 2012 at 8:56 am
  2. IMO, Danielle looks like a model on camera and pretty natural-seeming, although Brittany came close during ad lib interviews, but looked a bit stressed with rehearsed lines. Solution? Let her ad lib! She'll get it over time. Just looked at the season's best makeovers page, and noted that Hilary's rooms were actually featured quite regularly. Although I felt an immediate connection with Brittany's work and liked some of Danielle's rooms, I discovered I liked Hilary's work, too! The condo rooms she did herself and the living dining makeover she worked with Mikel seemed well done; and, her yurt was detailed (but way too much drapery). Finally, she is an absolute joy to watch. I don't envy the judges – I would've picked ALL THREE, so good thing I'm not a judge. Maybe there's still a chance to pick up a Brittany show and a Hillary show?

Mangofish on July 26, 2012 at 9:39 am
  3. I was SO disappointed but I guess I kind of knew all along they would choose Danielle. I'm sure that her show will be good, but i will definitely miss talented Britany!!! What really got me was the Judges' statement about why they chose Danielle (her supposedly strong performance throughout this season..) Really!?!? anyway, congrats Danielle, and BEST OF LUCK, BRITANY! All of the designers this season were fabulous btw!

kara on July 26, 2012 at 9:45 am
  4. Danielle may have been very natural on camera, but i would want a star who inspires me with ideas for my space. I mean, look at all the Design Star project videos on this website…let's see…Britany's chevron fence, her 3d mirror…her graphic wall treatment…do they even feature anything of Danielle's? Let's face it, Britany's creativity would bring so much more to HGTV!

Lindsay on July 26, 2012 at 9:49 am
    • It's too bad she didn't incorporate those types of things into her idea for a "pilot" – I know she said her photography is important to her, but DIY projects like these may have been better for a show concept. They elevated the basic high contrast style she usually did – without these graphic treatments, her rooms are just about working with color…and the same colors at that – blue and white, black and white, pops of yellow or orange.
      The other piece of hers I liked was the wall art she did for her white room – wood boards connected with brass (I think that's what it was). Plus that brass chandelier for her white room. She has an ability to make her walls almost sculptural – I would have like to see that in a pilot. I don't think the photography would have provided enough content.

Maggie O on July 26, 2012 at 11:02 am
      • True, photography isn't designing. She should have lost the photography! Especially when, based on what we saw, her photography was mediocre.

erikcreature on July 26, 2012 at 11:31 am
        • erikcreature! I really liked your explanation of yurts! I knew someone who went to live in one 25 years ago. You were really thorough in your description.

Anyway, I thought Britany's photography was fine – I just didn't think the concept was enough to carry a whole series, unless the subject of the photograph could inspire more in the design of the rooms.

Plus it was a tricky thing to do considering it had already been done during the season – Danielle took those photos of her and Luca's objects and blew them up for her first room in the house. And Danielle did it again in the condo with the outdoor plants and then Britany did it too for her yurt to bring the outside in. Obviously photography can be used, but we already had 3 examples so . . .

Maggie O on July 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm
    • I agree, it seems like some would really be inspired by some of her original fantastic ideas!

Rebecca W. on July 26, 2012 at 5:49 pm
  5. I couldn't agree more. Some of us still like Traditional design! I have liked David from the very beginning. I think Candace is very talented, but very high end. We could use more affordable designs and how to's.

June on July 26, 2012 at 9:50 am
  6. Kim is most probably back being a hair stylist. She got a big break when she did a HGTV exec. hair and he got her on the show. Kim said she was self taught and had no formal training in design. What judge would go against an executive?

maria on July 26, 2012 at 10:01 am
  7. Only 1,936,000 people bothered to watch the DS last episode. And the show only received 0.6% viewership in the desirable to advertisers, 18 to 49 age level.

It should be apparent to HGTV management, that their efforts to dumb down their shows, to attract the low brow audience, that would usually be watching professional wrestling, soap operas, fake housewives from wherever, or hilly billy fishing, has been a total failure, and only succeeded in losing their core audience.

Scripps, get rid of the idiots who are in charge at HGTV! Who are these jerks related to at Scripps?

erikcreature on July 26, 2012 at 10:26 am
  8. AGREED. its soo obvious that Brittany deserved to win, just compare both Danielle & Brittanys Designs. there's a HUGE deference.

DesignStarFan on July 26, 2012 at 10:29 am
  9. This year finale left me puzzled. Two bright ladies did good on their job, but it was obvious who was favored since the beginning… How to shop? New HGTV line of products? Obviously it was the theme not the talent of the designers. Danielle is sharming and artistic but lacks organization and failed to finish projects in previous challenges. In past seasons, that only was ground for elimination! And for Brittany, she have a more polished style (Candence, anyone?), but it took all season to see her shine in her delivery of information…reminded me of that first champion David and look how far and has he become. I would have love for Brittany to have the TV show, but maybe she will be the the real star with more audience in an online show! Congrats to both!

Diana on July 26, 2012 at 10:36 am
  10. Meg’s voice is so annoying, I cannot watch her show. Also she comes off as bossy and condescending. She orders her carpenter around like a dictator. I seriously doubt she has millions of viewers. I would really like to see the reports on this.
    Design talent is minimal and space planning is a mess.

mikenpville on July 26, 2012 at 11:32 am