Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jul 25

David on the Finale: “She Just Glistened in Front of the Camera”

Design Star Winner Danielle Colding With Host David Bromstad, Judge Vern Yip and Judge Genevieve Gorder

The mentor and host joined the design panel this week as guest judge. See his critiques of the designs + why the panel chose Danielle.

Do you agree with David’s critiques? Who did you want to win Design Star? Chat in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 am

190 Comments

1. It was a great finale, however, my favorite, Britney did not win. It was very disappointing because Britney's redo was best. David said he picked Danielle because she gave clients what they wanted. I disagree. She just added storage space and hung their own paintings, very boring look with clashing colors. Britney gave her clients what they wanted plus a professional done job with Britney's own awesome creations – that's why you hire a decorator, to go beyond what you want!! Anyway, it is too bad, because Britney will fade into oblivion and I really would like to see her talented approach more. I think we should go back to the audience picking the star as Britney is the fan favorite this year. Nothing against Danielle, but her overacting "gee, golly gee" remarks about the funky chair was soo put on! One last thought, is this now more about a personality or decorating talent? Britney's personality was getting better and better like David's has, but her talent was much superior.

Thea Pimental on July 25, 2012 at 10:10 am
  2. Congratulations Danielle! At first it was Brittany all the way, but then I was leaning toward Danielle. I think I would have liked to have seen Hilari in the final two, I don't think I would have cared if Danielle or Brittany went home, as long as it paved the way for Hilari.

Evelyn on July 25, 2012 at 10:13 am
  3. I'm so glad Danielle won! She not only was talented as a designer, but she showed the viewers more sides of her personality than any other designer this season, and I think that's what gave her the edge over Brittany. Danielle was also respectful of her co-designers and carpenters, even when things did not go well. She pitched in to get her room done when Miera messed up, even though it caused her to compromise part of her own design. She did not talk badly of her carpenter in the yurt challenge when the bed did not come out the way she had hoped. Brittany's graphic designs were outstanding, but her " her room was good, but my room was better" attitude took her down a notch, in my opinion. For some reason, I could see last week's judge,Mark, contacting Brittany for a spot on Entertainment Tonight. We'll see! I really hope to see more of Brittany, Mikel, and Hillari. They, along with Danielle, were my favorites.

Tamara on July 25, 2012 at 10:15 am
  4. I am so annoyed by the heavy handed editing throughout the series–so much camera time devoted to Danielle, who after all is not that great a designer. Grant you that her personality comes across as warmer and more natural than Britanny, but I really want to tune in to see a real "designer" impart information and ideas. This Danielle resembles another "stylist" winner Emily. I'd like to see a bona fide interior/exterior designer with some formal education and smarts one of these days. I think the HGTV "family members" are getting too carried away with this "star celebrity personality cult" Please, I watch HGTV to get away from all that ****.

design show fan on July 25, 2012 at 10:17 am
    • Danielle is educated with formal training in design.

Phillygirlinde on July 25, 2012 at 11:25 am
    • Danielle doesn't remind me of Emily at all.
      Emily is just too cutesy, and her design show is the worst – lets decorate a room and then take everything away?

Danielle is much more engaging and talented than Emily.

jill on July 25, 2012 at 1:48 pm
    • Nope! You are just plain wrong. Sorry you are disappointed but watch reality TV much. Editing, editing, editing! Danielle is a designer and educated. Unlike many others on other seasons.

Renee on July 25, 2012 at 3:37 pm
  5. Danielle congrats!!! I will look at your shown. You are very engaging and you know how to shop for fine pieces.

Yvette on July 25, 2012 at 10:18 am
  6. Danielle is awesome, her design more than met her clients family wishes. Britney put together a great room, very glamorous but more of what you would fine in maybe a model home or your storefront. It didn't appear to match the family's personality. I agree, some seasons to judges missed the boat but this year they made the right choice. Jordan comments were right on point, Danielle's pilot was incredible, enough said. The excitement of the judges were so, so different this year. Even Genevieve excitement spoke the success of this winner. I look forward to a successful career for Danielle.

I do however must make this point, why is is when there is a person of color and the one of color is a clear winner, you feel there should have been two. The very thing happen on Trumps show. Come on people… There are talents among all of us. Give her some love and credit.

Toni on July 25, 2012 at 10:32 am
  7. DAVID: Re: Danielle's room: How is the family supposed to watch the TV? It is stuck on a credenza with no seating facing towards it? Further, of what use are those two, goofy wooden stools sitting along the wall? Hardly comfortable seating. And the 70s-inspired chair with the wild fabric—no arms. Furniture without arms in living rooms makes no sense. How can one relax? AND, the green wall color clashes horribly with the homeowner's artwork. Danielle is personable but I'm unimpressed with the dysfunctional living room.

RE: Britany's room: The wallpaper—it makes me dizzy! I wonder if the homeowners are keeping it.

RE: Sectional sofas: Over-used. Yawn.

Pookie on July 25, 2012 at 10:37 am
  8. I do hope the producers at HGTV read these comments….Design Star is interesting and fun, but I totally agree that there are too many real estate programs…what's with those twins in LA??? Boring….Candice Olson is the best and that's what I'm looking for on HGTV…DESIGN! Property Brothers are good also…and the "Selling" series…so much focus on the super rich and their agents…boring….

Bonnie on July 25, 2012 at 10:37 am
  9. While Danielle was not my favorite, she did do a good job on her "show" and the concept has a different focus than in other HGTV shows. HGTV fans give her a chance! It annoys me that some of the comments here are so adamant about never watching her new show. Meg was not my choice but her show is fun and fabulous – I won't miss it. Even Emily and Antonio (also not my top picks) are watchable if not wonderful. I really miss Myles of Style and I love Color Splash. There is a lot of junk on TV but HGTV rarely fails. Brittany – we WILL see you again – you're just too good for HGTV to ignore! Good luck, Danielle! See you August 4th!

Jules on July 25, 2012 at 10:47 am
  10. I was extremely happy to see Danielle win last night! She gave the couple exactly hat they asked for , and that is the purpose of the show. You're not designing for yourself, you are designing for the house owners!! Briaanny's design was more about what she liked than what the custumer wanted, and she is not comfortble in front of the camera. Finally, the right person won. The rest of you should stop whining!!

spockslady on July 25, 2012 at 10:59 am