Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 26

Ask the Producer: Design Star Finale

I chat with Design Star producer Loren Ruch each week about behind-the-scenes moments we didn’t see on the show. This week: How do the designers keep the winner’s identity secret after the finale? Plus, how big is the DS crew? Read on to find out.

Design Star Winner Danielle Colding With Producer Loren Ruch

This question comes from Parkebernet on the blog: Loren, how are the city locations chosen each season? Would you ever consider moving from a huge city like LA or NYC to, say, Billings, Montana?
We actually choose the locations for a variety of reasons. This year, we wanted to get the show on the air earlier than in the past because we wanted it to wrap before the Olympics. That meant that we needed to shoot in January and February (instead of March and April), so I thought New York City would just be too cold during that time frame especially for outdoor shoots. We also take into consideration where it’s the most convenient to find a good crew to work on the show (which tends to be LA or NY). That said, I would definitely be open to trying other cities provided there are enough shopping options, decent weather, and good accommodations for a huge crew plus our designers and panel. Design Star is a huge commitment for David, Vern and Gen, too, because they need to move to the destination of our choice for over two months. That means packing up kids, spouses, pets and lots and lots of wardrobe options!

How large is the Design Star crew compared to the typical HGTV crew?
Great question, and no one has ever asked me that before! Design Star is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than any other show on the network. We have roughly 150 people working on it as compared to a typical show, which may have 15 to 20. There are just so many departments on a show like this including challenge producers, reality producers, production assistants, talent coordinators, makeup artists — the list goes on and on!

This one comes from Sally Richord on the blog: How doesn’t anyone know who the Design Star is when they go home after they have been eliminated?
Fun question, Sally. Actually all of the designers are invited back for the finale, so they do know who the Design Star is, but we swear everyone involved in the show to secrecy so that they don’t spoil the fun for our viewers. As for keeping the public from spilling the beans, it’s pretty easy, because we shoot the show far before it airs – which means that onlookers don’t really know who the designers are until a few months later.

What can you tell us about Danielle’s new show, Shop This Room?
I can tell you it’s fabulous! Danielle is such a talented designer and has such a fun approach to design. On her show, she starts the entire process of designing a room by shopping for one finishing touch. Once the homeowners have signed off on that, she builds an entire room around it. So, instead of starting with a space plan or broader concept, she shops first, and designs after!

Any clues as to what we’ll see in next week’s Design Star All Stars premiere?
Design Star All Stars is my personal favorite season I have ever worked on in the Design Star franchise. The first episode features some of the best designs I’ve ever seen in any season…and without giving too much away, future episodes include Dancing with the Stars and The Facts of Life – how much more fun does it get than that!?

Have a question for Loren? Ask him in the comments below!

Posted at 3:29 pm

49 Comments

1. Loren: When do we get to see Kellie's and Brittany's On-Line Shows? I have searched high and low for Kellie's but haven't been able to find it. Its been a year now so surely it is on your site somewhere? Thank you for a WONDERFUL and Entertaining Season!!!!

Sam: last year they did the same thing with Emily Henderson the previous year's winner as they did this year with Meg. EMILY HENDERSON ROCKS!!!!! She is as good as Candice Olson!!!!

HGTV Fan in NC on July 28, 2012 at 1:25 pm
    • She can I find emilys show? I counld only find one. Thanx

***Guest on July 28, 2012 at 1:47 pm
    • Hello HGTV Fan in NC! Thanks for your nice note — and I'm so glad that you are excited about Britany's show. Kellie's show does exist online but I need to find out how to access it…stay tuned for that…I so appreciate your support!

loren on August 2, 2012 at 10:09 am
  2. *Where not she

***Guest on July 28, 2012 at 1:47 pm
  3. Huge disappointment.

Amie on July 28, 2012 at 5:09 pm
  4. im NEVER watching design star again BRITTNEY DESERVED IT!!!!!!

BRITNEYROCK! on July 28, 2012 at 5:18 pm
  5. Danille is so fake and brittney is the fan favorite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not danille. Im never going to watch the show on shopping because all other design show are about that! If candace olsen was a judge she would totally love brittney!
    HGTV,
    Please give brittney a show! Everyone loves her! She is real and everyone can realated to her! She has that energy! I also think you need new judges the judges pic the same fake foney person almost every year (expect meg) All my friends love brittney!!!! so many people love her! PLEASE give her a show! Danniles isnt even gonna last a month!

BRITNEYROCK! on July 28, 2012 at 5:53 pm
  6. Wow! Great show and a truely tough decision. It came down to my two FAVs so I'm pleased w either!!! Can u share the designer of the grayish purple dress Brittany wore at the end of the finale? It was gorgeous!

Michele20 on July 28, 2012 at 9:22 pm
  7. I am interested in the color of the room that Danielle used in the living room????

Veronica on July 29, 2012 at 7:14 am
  8. I also AGREE, these are some of the nastiest comments I've ever read concerning a show. I am happy for both young ladies……infact they all worked very hard and are talented. In life some people win and some lose competitions. But both are winners. So why do we make the nasty, ugly comments about people that are trying to achieve a dream. IT shouldn't be personal — not about me or you — its their dream and HGTVs professional panel made their decision, the fans (some who voted numerous times in a day) got their Voice heard. An certainly I'm sure at the end of day…….There are many people in the WORLD that will continue to watch HGTV..

Dianne on July 30, 2012 at 8:55 pm
    • I can't even tell you enough how much your post means to me! At the network, we really think that all of our Design Star designers are amazing, and we want nothing more than to have our panel select someone who is going to be a wonderful designer on a wonderful show. We think Danielle is a wonderful choice — and Britany will be favulous on her new on-line show as well. Thanks for your support!

loren on August 2, 2012 at 10:13 am
  9. Can you have someone do a voice over so we don't have to hear Danielle's horrible nasally voice?

C. Miller on July 31, 2012 at 10:32 am
  10. I have become a big fan of Design Star, however, this season's winner is the wrong choice. My opinion is that the judges, especially the Oriental man(sorry, don't know all their names) was obviously in favor of Danielle. Everyone is entitled to have their personal favorite, but a judge should not appear to be so biased. It was really off-putting, so much so that when the program was over I said I'm not going to bother watching this show again. And I may not. I realize that Brittany won the 'Fan Favorite' but that is not my reason for feeling this way. I think that particular judge should be replaced. His professionalism is in question.

Wolverina23 on July 31, 2012 at 11:11 am
    • "oriental" refers to an object, not a person.

Just saying on August 1, 2012 at 12:19 pm
      • NOT necessarily. I should have said Asian. Either terminology can be used as a descriptive.

Wolverina23 on August 1, 2012 at 4:14 pm