Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Aug 3

This Weekend: Watch Danielle’s New Show

Take a break from the Olympics this weekend to tune in to the latest Design Star champ’s brand-new show, Shop This Room, airing Saturday, August 4 at 8 pm et/pt.

Danielle Colding on Set

She’ll turn a basic beige kitchen into an airy, open and bright space after drawing inspiration from one-of-a-kind shopping finds. Get a sneak peek of what you’ll see on the Shop This Room premiere here.

Posted at 4:56 pm

64 Comments

1. I don't mean to bust everyone's bubble but it seemed like there wasn't must to be inspired about in Danielle's designs. Did anyone seem to notice that Danielle's designs borrowed heavily from the other Design Star finalist? Britany used yellow as a pop of color both in accent pieces and dining room chairs. Britany used framed photo's/postcards in their kitchen challenge. Britany is the one who used framed pictures as artwork in her designs. Even the graphic design used in the window coverings seem to borrow heavily from Britany. After all of the copying I wasn't surprised to even see a big "Jack" that Luca used in the living space he and Danielle created.

notinspired on August 6, 2012 at 9:50 am
  2. danielle is a beautiful talented designer. She is very warm and caring. I will be watching her show every week. I am hoping that halari and danielle can decorate their clients home togather because they are both very talented and is willing to LISTEN to their clients.

shalom on August 6, 2012 at 12:52 pm
  3. Danielle has all she needs to be a Design Star and the proof was her first show where she demonstrated not only her talent but also her natural personality while dealing with clients, coworkers, and the hostess ability to face the camera. I'm Design Star fan since the first season where David ( my favorite) was the winner. Congratulations judges of HGTV Design Star !!!!!

Ana Elena Alfonso on August 6, 2012 at 3:43 pm
  4. Great show! I love it! I will watch it again. The judges got it right!!!

girliegirl2 on August 6, 2012 at 4:31 pm
  5. I Saw Danielle's first 2 shows this weekend and thought they were great! I look foreword to seeing more. I did notice that she tends to do yellow and teal but I thin in time so will used more colors but thought she had some good ideas in her designs.

Linda on August 6, 2012 at 7:13 pm
  6. I love Danielle's show!! I'm glad the judges got it right this time. I didn't like it when Emily won and I dont like her shows. Last season I thought that Karl was a better designer than Meg and he lost. I thought that Brittany wazs good but szhe designs the room for her taste and not the clients taste, they didnt really look too happy. Danielle deserved to win and she showed thzatg with her two shows on Saturday. Good luck Danielle!!

spockslady on August 7, 2012 at 1:01 pm
  7. I obviously am in the minority but I haven't been at all impressed. She always sounds stilted as if she reading or regurgitating lines. The designs looked…. like I've already seen them. She'll go the way of Kim Myles.

innerjuju on August 7, 2012 at 7:32 pm
  8. Would not wish Danielle's kitchen on anyone… She is NOT a designer. She could be a decorator, maybe. Or even better, work on a show like What Not To WEAR.
    This is not a kitchen for people who actually COOK or have little children!!! ISLAND in a narrow room? Is that her idea of "BEACH-y "? Rug with stripes in a narrow room? Refrigerator, or any other appliance right next to the side wall… never a good idea. Was there no plumber on her show? Sharp corners everywhere., table in the middle of the main walkway….these people will have soon 2 little kids! Where is the beach theme? Toy boat and other tchotchkes on the shelf?
    She (or her crew) removed the ceiling, but did nothing with the space…nothing. And the most important space is on the ground and totally wasted. Area with build-in shelves should have been used for a seating…bench and OVAL table, maybe some custom high chairs (which don't flip over)? Or childproof cabinets (so there is no need to use ugly plastic safety latches)? Upper cabinets are beyond boring, and what are those little ones above the fridge??? How about putting in a third window, or remove the two old ones a put new wide one in. Put a sink underneath it? The space under both windows should have been used for cabinets. NO Island! Maybe a small sofa chair/U shaped sofa near the door for night time feedings, or midday hugs, nursing between soup stirrings… place where to put a baby gym… oh so many missed opportunities, so much wasted money (2000$ shutters!!!) Yeah that's what they needed…. (keep the small separating wall…How did she listen to her clients??? Are most people on this blog her family and friends? What did Genevieve or Candice say about this? Did she take whole 2 minutes to "design" it? Does she really have NO friends with kids or NO friends who can cook? Or she refuses to ask for help? Or take advice? HGTV, please give this family extra money (taken from Danielle's pay), so they can hire a real designer, who can REPAIR what Danielle "FIXED".
    This kitchen was not designed with a COMMON SENSE. One can learn how to dress, how to speak in front of the camera, how to smile…but how do you teach common sense?

suze on August 10, 2012 at 10:09 pm
    • Look on the bright side, suze, at least she didn't cover the floor with sand, for a beachy effect! "Beachy" as a theme for a kitchen is really idiotic, even at the beach. I guess someone has to put the "kitsch" into the kitchen.

The shutters were the worst. Clearly, Daniele never heard of a CNC router (nor any kind of router for that matter). And, it is hard to believe that her "carpenter" knew anything about it either. When you are spending that kind of money on routering a piece of wood, why would someone use as the material of choice, a cheap piece of plywood? Real wood would have allowed for the routered edge to be beveled, just by using a different bit. That couldn't be done on plywood, as the beveled bit would have chewed up the surface layer on the plywood. Maybe they could have used European birch plywood, but really, when spending that kind of money, go with top quality wood, and stain it to match the cabinets (As cheap looking as the cabinets were). In close up shots of the shutters, they looked awful.

The "found" space in the ceiling, could have been put to better use, by doing what a real designer would have done, go upstairs and see what was behind that high wall. Most likely a bedroom, where built in drawers and half high closets could have been cantilevered into the kitchen space, creating much needed storage, with out losing floor space in the bed room. The kitchen should have then designed in a "U" shape, with a higher ceiling in the center of the "U", with the upper,cabinets at ceiling level.

A lot could have been done with that kitchen, IF, as you said, Daniele were really a designer, instead of just a shopper!

erikcreature on August 11, 2012 at 10:36 am
      • Covering the floor with sand… ha, ha.

Under "beach effect" i understand relaxing place with soothing colors: blue, white, green and yes, even beige.
        Kitchen spaces with kids are more often stressful then relaxing and this family is not going on any relaxing vacation anytime soon. So for the window treatments I would have loved to see double roller shades. (one sheer and one for darkening maybe with a map of their favorite beach area. Glass tiles in a bluish tone as a back-splash, maybe?) No need for kitsch.

Erik, your cantilevered closets are brilliant! May i steal your idea?

Speaking of stealing ideas… Searching for other designs by Danielle I found THE YURTS EPISODE. Words fail me. Danielle stole Britany's idea (putting white plastic behind latticed walls ) but it is also incomprehensible how is Danielle's YURT better then Hilari's???
        Somebody powerful must be behind Danielle, otherwise it makes no sense. So much for "NON-FICTION" TV.

suze on August 12, 2012 at 11:58 am
        • Use my idea, as long as it works for you! Ideas are made to be used!

Don't even get me started again about THE YURTS EPISODE, AGAIN! All three of them were clueless. Hilari was no better than Daniele. None of them got the circle idea. They all tried to turn it into a square. Hilari's furniture was much too high, above the wall/roof line level. She has no sense of space.

I've rarely seen glass tiles used effectively, nor even tastefully. That's one fad the is mercifully past it's time.

erikcreature on August 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm
      • Let's just say that someone on the team works for a shop that owns a CNC and that someone making money decisions limited the selection to ply. It actually looks good in person though.

anonymous team member

anonymousteammember on August 19, 2012 at 6:45 am
        • Painted plywood always looks awful generally, especially with out filling the cut edges, or having the them covered with edge banding. The the shutters did look awful in the brief close-up shot, shown on the show.

I was sure that the "carpenter" knew as little about CNC, as Danielle did; nothing.

erikcreature on August 19, 2012 at 8:41 am
    • Being the guy behind the scenes. I can assure you that we worked within the tight budget to give the home owners what they wanted and needed in the space.

The "island" is floating and is living on the window wall.
      The built in has a laundry closet built on the top/back side of it (uber functional)
      The refrigerator couldn't be relocated due to inability to relocate rough ins under the budget.
      The ceiling space that was opened up couldn't be used without renovating a bathroom on the other side. (Also not in the budget)

There's a lot you don't see when you're just viewing a post edit final product.

Anonymousteammember on August 19, 2012 at 6:40 am
      • What we did see was bad enough. Getting rid of the shutters idea would have freed up the budget to add counter tops under the window, and the refrigerator could have been placed between the windows at the end of the counter, for a "U" shaped kitchen. Then the ceiling could have been cut out just in the center, and raised there in steps, which would have saved money and avoided the lopsided effect that opening it all up "achieved."

Not seeing everything that was going on, doesn't negate my ability to know what could have, and should have been done. If HGTV is hiring talking heads to host a "design" show and pretend to be carpenters and designers, at least they should have people behind the scenes who really know what they are doing, (Even if they themselves aren't deemed camera worthy) to assure that the alleged results of the pretend designer, appear excellent. Though the general audience appears, based on these blogs, to be clueless about Real Design anyway, I guess that's why HGTV doesn't bother about it, nor care about it.

erikcreature on August 19, 2012 at 9:29 am
  9. I enjoy Danielle's new show. She teaches not just shows off. So many of the shows it seems like the hosts just want us to watch them be smart & clever. Whereas I can follow along with Danielle's thinking and see the decisions that are made & why. It's so clear that she loves what she is doing and her personality is fun. I like the interaction she has with her carpenter and her assistant. It's fun to visit the stores with her plus to see what the carpenter does to produce the final furniture piece. I also like seeing the drawings of the vision and then seeing the final product. She asks questions for the viewers even though she may already know the answers. Great show!

tvfan001 on August 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm
  10. I LOVE her! Great choice, great show. Please tell Danielle I love her show:)

Karen on August 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm