Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 8

David on Episode 2: “Please Take Some of This Junk Away”

David Bromstad With Design Star All Stars Contestants

Learn why David disagreed with the judges’ favorite room, what he loved in both spaces and why the eliminated designer went home.

Here’s what David had to say from the set:

Do you think the right designer won? Do you agree with who went home? Leave a comment below.

Posted at 9:42 am

89 Comments

1. Vern has always had that funny way of critiquing the rooms…funny to the viewers, but not funny to the designer. I dont think he does it to be mean spirited. He just seems to spout out what comes up but it HAS to sometimes hurt these designers feeling to hear what he says..or maybe they know that its just his perspective and whether he agrees or not, doesnt make their choice incorrect. Dont think you can afford thin skin being in the design biz AND especially being on tv in front of millions of viewers, some laughing at you, some applauding you. You just have to be confident, do your best, and go for it!

Wayne on August 8, 2012 at 9:15 am
  2. I liked Sparkle Josh a lot. Didn't see him the first time around, but I thought he did very, very well for someone who didn't have camera challenges when he did it. I found him humble and grace-filled and I liked his sense of humor, for instance when the doors opened and he saw the dog statues. I hope this season helps him, because he really seems like a nice guy and I loved that he didn't get angry at Leslie – even though her being pushy might well have cost him the spot and that he gave a blessing to the judges. He is a really good sport – even though this is his career, which often makes people act more like Leslie did – though I was grateful when she repented, too. Though it was a little too late and her moving the teammates things was really rude and it is hard to believe they both responded so well to it.

Deb on August 8, 2012 at 10:06 am
    • I agree with you Deb. Leslie did seem as though she felt bad but as we all know, we can repent and turn right back around and do the same thing again…which is what I think she will be doing in the next episode. Moving Toms stuff around AFTER he placed it where he wanted it. Those bad habits can be hard to break or master. I think she might be one of those people that feel only they can do it the RIGHT way. Not a total control freak but one who just thinks they know best most of the time.

Wayne on August 8, 2012 at 7:05 pm
    • Sparkle Josh was so beloved by all the fans in the season he was on the show…It just seems he cannot get any respect from the desgner judges….seems to have taken a lot of Josh's spirit away and for that I feel very sad…He is a wonderful person…Vern Yip is just a small crafty designer who grew through the ranks from his Trading Spaces sad days….He really was so mean spirited in this last episode.

gigi on August 14, 2012 at 4:37 pm
  3. i am late on posting, but i was so glad when the first girl got kicked off! i was so angry with her for telling hilari that she was a freshman invited to senior prom….the nerve of her!!!! obviously she wasn't prom queen!!!!! i am glad hilari remained composed

drw on August 8, 2012 at 10:37 am
  4. 'Sparkle' Josh is just a little too far out there (especially when David Bromstad is on the same show) so I'm not surprised that he got cut. I still liked him, except for when he talked about himself in the third person, and will miss his unique perspective.
    Leslie was so unlike her earlier performances. I've always been a big fan of hers, but Hilari and Josh did well not to lose their patience with her. I hope she learned something, because there is no excuse for that behavior. (And WHY did she insist on mirrors when they were specifically told not to include them?)
    Tom and Dan managed to work out their differences in a mature way, and it showed. A very good room. I still think Dan has the inside track to win.

Rickapolis on August 8, 2012 at 10:45 am
  5. I'd be insanely rich if I could bottle Leslie's energy and Tom's talking speed in one drink!!! Look out Red Bull and 5 Hour Energy!!! Here's DS Energy guaranteed to last you through at least 3 days of stressful work!!! I hope HGTV does not steal my idea!!! :)

MirrorMirror12 on August 8, 2012 at 10:52 am
  6. I thought it was so unprofessional how Leslie acted. She steam rolled Josh and Hillary. She also did not listen to the home owners! Regarding mirrors. Who wants a designer that doesn't listen to you! I think she should have gone home!

Toni on August 8, 2012 at 10:54 am
  7. In regards to the show, I believe that Sparkle Josh was just brought on DS All Stars for entertainment purposes only and not for his design skills!!! Let's face it his design pallet is not going to appeal to everyone; just a small niche group. So, his ability to increase ratings had to have been the goal in adding him to the All Star team. I watched his season, and he was pretty fun to watch. However, this time around he was not as "Sparkly", which is why I think that the producers had no problems letting him go so early.

MirrorMirror12 on August 8, 2012 at 10:57 am
    • Agree with you Mirror12. Think he wasnt as sparkly becuz he knew they werent going to choose him n were possibly using him for entertainment purposes whereas he wanted to win as much as any of them. That would remove anybodys sparkle knowing they didnt have a shot at winning and were there just for the laugh factor.

Wayne on August 8, 2012 at 7:11 pm
      • That's a great point!!! I could totally see anyone, in his shoes, doing the exact same thing!!! Nonetheless, HGTV is where Sparkle Josh received the bulk of his notoriety. So, in my book, it's a win for both sides!!! HGTV receives higher ratings because he's on their show, and more individuals hear about him!!!

MirrorMirror12 on August 9, 2012 at 10:48 am
    • Sparkle Josh needs to lose the nickname Sparkle. While many of his designs have a lot of bling, no good designer should be so one-sided, and by having to "live up to the name" of Sparkle, Josh has lost some of his design credibility. Like his personality and most of his design but I am soooo over HGTV's emphasizing the nickname Sparkle.

Marcy on August 14, 2012 at 7:25 pm
  8. Pleeeease fix the video! It gets stuck right after the opening sequence and the sound repeats like a skipped record. Thank you!

Laura on August 8, 2012 at 11:22 am
  9. i think leslie should hav been eliminated not sparle josh…for the reason that she did not listen to the homeowners she used mirrors in her decor dispite what the homeowners wanted…how is she suppose to have a show if shes not going to listen to her clients and do what ever she wants…

guest on August 8, 2012 at 11:48 am
    • yhe ladi pacificly said no mirror that little blow byes mirrors and changes hilaris designs:@

darrell on August 16, 2012 at 3:35 pm
  10. Pleeeease fix the video! It gets stuck right after the opening sequence and the sound repeats like a skipped record. Thank you!

nanaee on August 8, 2012 at 11:52 am