Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 15

David On All Stars Ep 3: “Listen, I Warned Them…”

David on Design Star All Stars Episode 3

David chats about why Hilari and Dan should have heeded his advice about the “slime green” wall color, and why Leslie and Tom’s set was made for TV.

Watch what David had to say about one of his favorite Design Star episodes, ever:

Do you agree with David’s critique? Did the right designer go home? Voice your opinion in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 am

83 Comments

1. There is a reason that David goes around offering his 'opinion'. He is trying to get the designers back on the right track. Leslie and Tom listened, Dan and Hilari didn't (although Hilari actually did but couldn't convince Dan). Dan stuck to his guns, but it just didn't work out. That green was ugly. I thought he was going to win it all, but now it's anyone's game.

Rickapolis on August 15, 2012 at 8:58 am
  2. The green wall was terrible because Dan forgot that the actors need to be the focus of the set. However, he put to together a beautiful fireplace and did everything else well. I think Hilari has learned to play the game–she didn't try to change Dan's mind about the green paneling or the blue curtains. Thus, she eliminated her strongest competition without saying a word.

Linda on August 15, 2012 at 9:03 am
    • Great insight. Hilari, apparently, knows how to play the game. Dan's ONE mistake, though glaringly apparent, sent him home. He's still the winner in my book.

Marsha on August 15, 2012 at 9:53 am
    • She had injected her feelings about the green color several times to Dan but he wanted to go with his "gut" feeling. I think she said many words but he would not be swayed. I dont know that she tried to get him eliminated by not trying to change his mind…I thought she did but he wanted to let his design sense show thru thus she acquiesced.

Wayne on August 15, 2012 at 8:10 pm
  3. What is it with Leslie? It is hard for me to believe that she was a fan favorite the last time around since I never saw her then. Last week she made a mess of things and Sparkle took the blame. This week she chose awful wallpaper and even worse colors for the walls. David saved her. It seems to me that she might be the "chosen one" and she is my least favorite. Dan, Tom and Hilari would have been a nail biting conclusion to the show.

Pam on August 15, 2012 at 9:20 am
    • Pam you obviously have no taste and no sophistication. Leslie tried to help Sparkle and he would not listen, she tried to help Tom and he didn't listen. Hilari is a bully who talks poorly of everyone in the interviews and speaks like she is from the ghetto.

Jordan on August 18, 2012 at 6:37 pm
  4. Oh no! I love Dan! I was crying when he got eliminated. But it would have been hard for me whoever got eliminated, I love them all. I love Tom, I love Hilari, I would have had a terrible time making a decision this week. I kind of got excited when Genevieve said she didn't want to send anyone home – I was hoping they were going to do that. Say that all four were going to the final challenge. Project Runway did that one year.

I know they are not winning a show, but I'd like to see all of them have their own show. Although I love Leslie, I am currently having a little trouble with her high energy so not sure I'd watch her. I want a mail carton house! Can't wait for next week, although I'm sure there are going to be more tears for me. Not even sure who I want to win either HIlari or Tom.

peggy on August 15, 2012 at 9:34 am
  5. Just because David didn't like the green wall doesn't mean other people didn't. Could their have been some better choices made about the wall, yes, however it was a bold choice and once made he stuck to his guns. I felt that Leslie and Tom had a disasterous room. There was clutter everywhere and their choices to update or bring the room to this century were way off the mark. You all sent the wrong person home.

Guest on August 15, 2012 at 9:38 am
  6. How Tom and Leslie's room represents teenage girls of today, I have no idea. And if I'm off base and don't comprehend the boarding school click, neither does 99% of the country. The room looked like it was designed by two middle aged people with a lust for tacky accessories. Tom should have gone home, not Dan. I think Dan was being punished for not being a kiss a**. I mean, can you really imagine watching Tom and his hyper activity order on a real design show? I don't think I'm tuning in anymore.

Guest on August 15, 2012 at 10:17 am
    • Don't include the rest of the world in your opinion. Tom and Leslie's room looked more like a high end expensive boarding school. Dan and Hilary's looked like a sorority house. There is a big difference. I also love Dan as a designer, but he deserved to go home.

jodyb on August 15, 2012 at 1:30 pm
  7. Sorry, David, I don't think you should "warn" any of the contestants. The design is supposed to be their work. I've watched this happen before when you have given design advice to a contestant, but especially this week, Leslie's own original bright colors might have been the tipping point between her and Dan – so you tipped the scale! Oops!

Ellen on August 15, 2012 at 12:14 pm
    • That's what a mentor is supposed to do. He warned both teams, but only one team heeded his advice. That is why Dan went home. Two people, including his own team mate warned him about his color choice but he wouldn't listen.

jodyb on August 15, 2012 at 1:35 pm
    • I respectfully disagree as David is their mentor. His advice is valuable if listened to and a speed bump if someone finds themselves in the bottom two.

Trekwannabe on August 15, 2012 at 5:20 pm
    • Ellen, remember that David gave both parties advice on the garish colors so Dan & Hilari could have toned it down. I think Dan was pulling an Antonio and holding firm to his design choice. Actually, he was more in tune with younger kids' taste for neon colors.

Susan on August 15, 2012 at 7:18 pm
  8. Although I thought the lime green wall was all wrong—whether for a TV show or in "real life," Dan is definitely the person I would have watched in a show. He has just the right personality. I don't like the mix of bold colors (blue, green, orange)—too garish–but, it is definitely more in tune with a younger crowd than Tom and Leslie's room. It was too "old" and not a bit modern. And Tom over-accessorized to the nth degree. The shocked look on his face when he was told so by the panel was shocking in itself—the fact that he couldn't see how over-wrought it was! I liked Leslie's rollerskate tie-in with the "Facts" show—I thought that was clever—but not clever enough to win. COME BACK, DAN!!!!!! :-)

Pookie on August 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm
  9. I am so bummed. Dan needs a show of his own. Tom and Lesli's room was boring and not something today's teenage girls would relate to. I guess the judges forgot it was suppose to relate to TODAYS girls. Bight colors are in. I think Hilari is the one who went overboard, Those orange poofs were too much and a coffee tablw would have been much more in tune with usage. Dan works well with others and he let her have her way. That is working as a team. Also, for HD TV, you need saturation in colors. Tom and Leslie's boring, pale room would be lost. Dan is by far the best of this group. He was robbed the first time and was robbed agian. He did so much during all of the shows, one perceived slip should not of sent him packing. Judges, be more open minded and take a broader approach. One color does not make a man. When I think of all of Dan's designs and contibutions, I smile. Judges, you blew it…again!

mareski on August 15, 2012 at 1:07 pm
  10. I thought Dan and Leslie's "pale" room was classy and wonderful. It's for a TV set and the set shouldn't outshine the actors/actresses. They are the ones who should stand out, not the decor. I thought Hillary and Dan did way too much, especially for the set of a TV show. It was way to busy (yuck to the wallpaper), the poofs were cute, but didn't fit with the overall design. It was a total hodgepodge with no connecting points. I think Hillary is a capable designer, but her camera challenges drives me nuts. I don't think I could spend ten minutes watching her on a TV show. Leslie is my favorite, with Dan a close second.

Jill on August 15, 2012 at 1:16 pm