Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Aug 15

David On All Stars Ep 3: “Listen, I Warned Them…”

David on Design Star All Stars Episode 3

David chats about why Hilari and Dan should have heeded his advice about the “slime green” wall color, and why Leslie and Tom’s set was made for TV.

Watch what David had to say about one of his favorite Design Star episodes, ever:

Do you agree with David’s critique? Did the right designer go home? Voice your opinion in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 am

83 Comments

1. I, too, thought Dan would be chosen over Tom, and I could never understand how Antonio won his season. That being said, the lime green was hideous, but was that choice alone enough to send him home? The room was really fun and Hilari's poofs were fun, though not very practical. However, I think Dan deserved to go home because he wouldn't listen to anyone, Hilari or David, when they tried to tell him the neon lime green was too bold — it stole the whole show. Dan has had trouble with color before and for over using that same green before. Had he been smart, and not so eager to show off, he would have let Hilari choose the colors and he would probably be in the final three. I like Tom a lot, and his styling, but I'm not sure he deserves to be in the final three. Dan is so talented — I hope he gets his own show some day!!! So far, David and Emily have been my favorite design stars and I love to watch both of them. Dan would be my third choice — he makes wonderful things and that's what I love about him, even David can't do that. HGTV needs more design shows hosted by men I think. I just love that guy who use to do the curb appeal show and on occasion was the designer for Design to Sell (can't recall his name).

Katherine Freeman on August 15, 2012 at 2:42 pm
    • That was John Gidding. Remember when the homeowners showed a romance novel with him on the cover?

DSWatcher on August 15, 2012 at 2:51 pm
    • I'm with you; I have learned so much from David and Emily; they are my favorite designers from designstar! They continually have fresh, unique, and practical design ideas which always convey not only a sense of style, but a real feeling of joy in the' new ' space. They both just 'get it'; I love to see what they come up with. Plus, they're both so personable and genuine. Remember the Dan from Emily's season? Wouldn't it be fun to have that Dan, plus this Dan, together on their own show? Just think what they could create, together!

Guest on August 16, 2012 at 7:58 am
  2. I can't believe that Dan got sent home. He was robbed of the "Design Star" when he first competed and he was my top choice this time. I agree that the green needed to be toned down a bit for the tv but it is a great color for girls that age. Tom should have definitely been the one to go NOT Dan. I still makes me so mad that Dan didn't win the first time around that I have a hard time watching Design Star. I thought the green was a pretty green, you designers need to remember us in the tv audieance don't love everything that the designers, that have shows, do. I could go on and on about how badly I feel for Dan, I just hope that his personal business thrives.

Mary on August 15, 2012 at 2:45 pm
  3. Dan should have listened to Hilari, she knows her stuff! I really hope she wins Design Star All Stars, she is the best! I can understand why he went home, Keli went home trying to redeem a mistake she made on her season of Design Star and I believe that is what happened here. Dan picked a similar green for a kids room on his season of Design Star and was warned about it then. I believe the show functions in a way for designers to grow and this does not show that he has learned from his mistake of choosing that god-awful green in the past. I believe that Dan is a great designer, but should put constructive criticism to good use like Hilari does. I have seen Hilari's growth since she began the Design Star show, if you look through her original portfolio, she has made remarkable improvements and has used her strengths successfully to adapt to criticism.

Haley on August 15, 2012 at 4:15 pm
    • True.

Wayne on August 15, 2012 at 8:16 pm
  4. Sorry judges, I know you have a huge challenge having to eliminate one person from 4 very talented designers, but Dan should not have been the one to go. Tom should have. One off color contrasted with all the incredibly gifted designs he's made should not have tipped the scales to Tom's excessive propping of rooms. Glad Hilari and Leslie stayed in. Given Hilari's willingness to grow and her exquisite color palettes and furniture choices, so far she's looking like the winner.

Susan on August 15, 2012 at 7:11 pm
  5. I am also sorry to see Dan leave. I was not a huge favorite of the green but it did not fade into the back round as the wallpaper Leslie chose did. I was really hoping for a Dan and Tom finale. Leslie is talented but as much as the coffee table was cool to look at for the camera, not in the least practical for a study or relaxing area. There was a lot of seating area and no place to set a drink, or a book or prop up feet!

I find Hilari and Leslie SHOPPERS and Dan and Tom DESIGNERS, they take the elements of the room and make them better, much more beneficial to the style and integrity of the home. It doesn't take a lot of money as Tom and his sketches and cut outs show us!

Barbie on August 15, 2012 at 7:33 pm
  6. I so enjoy Hilary's energy along with her ideas. I look forward to seeing what she will do next. Leslie is the coffee table queen. Tom is just too hyper for me. Looking forward to the finale.

Diane on August 15, 2012 at 7:45 pm
    • 5 lines yet you said a mouthful and I agree completely on all accounts Diane.

Wayne on August 15, 2012 at 8:19 pm
  7. Dan and Hilari's room had a very disney-channel kids show vibe with all the high energy colors and prints, maybe a little "young" for a real boarding school vibe. Dan's Neon wall was the epitome of this pop-art like aesthetic that is so prevalent in tweeners' sitcoms today. It's contemporary for sure but not actually in line with what was asked– they were supposed to update the Facts of Life set, and part of the FOL story comes from the idea that these kids are away from home & in a place with a bit of history and story prior to the cuurent student residents.Tom & Leslies had a historical vibe that suggested a respected old house

Laura on August 15, 2012 at 7:50 pm
    • My feelings too Laura! You summed it up perfectly.

Wayne on August 15, 2012 at 8:21 pm
  8. Hilari is my favorite of the designers who are left. I could never watch a show with Leslie……Vern Yip might like her 'overly fake bubbly' on air persona, but I would get tired of that very quickly! And Tom……Please!! ….he has no REAL sense of design. But, of course, these are the judges that voted for Antonio….what more do I have to say!

sugare on August 16, 2012 at 6:35 am
  9. I think the saddest thing about Dan is that he knew the paint was a enough of a problem that he agreed to large curtains to cover some of it, but didn't close the curtains in the end! Perhaps three faux windows with closed curtains or even just a wall of curtains would have been better.

Perhaps Dan was influenced by Antonio's pink birds & "no beige!" moments, but I doubt even Antonio would have survived this paint 'n faux windows his season.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to the final ep. because I love tiny homes and variations of white room challenges. :D

SFClaudia on August 16, 2012 at 7:24 am
  10. tom blew it . he may have good ideas but he over does everything . he can not talk to us or the camera
    i doubt he could even read a cue card

law on August 16, 2012 at 11:47 am