Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Aug 22

David on the All Stars Finale: The Toast Goes To…

David Bromstad Design Star All Stars Host

David breaks down the designs and the final decision. Plus, inside intel from the judging room.

Here’s what David had to say from the set:

Do you agree with David (and the judges)? Did the right designer win? Weigh in in the comments below.

Posted at 10:40 am

212 Comments

1. Hilari was the best designer hands down. Leslie space looked cramped and it didn't take any designer skill to do what she did with the deck. It was so ordinary and blue collar looking. I expect great things from Hilari in the future.

Jenny on August 22, 2012 at 6:48 am
    • Completely agree – I wish she was getting her own show. I would have Hilary and Antonio (Antonio Treatment) redo my house any time!

Boston on August 22, 2012 at 9:31 am
      • I completely agree. Based on the challenge, I would have had Tom next, and put Leslie last. Her boxcar looked super messy and thrown together.

ArmoP on August 22, 2012 at 10:58 am
    • I agree — Hilari should have won! The other 2 contestants did not create an outdoor space out of the deck, Leslie only added furniture. Hilari stepped out of her box and did something different from her usual stlye. The only complaint with her room was the wall color, that only one of the judges did not like. That wall color was not offensive in the least, it frankly added to the pieces in the room.
      It makes me wonder if the show is rigged — I watch HGTV every night, but I think I may give it a break , after last night!

gdbk215 on August 22, 2012 at 12:14 pm
      • it's ironic that genevieve was negative about hilari's room when genevieve was wearing the same color…it was obvious they wanted leslie to win. they're wrong, hilari should have won.

terry on August 22, 2012 at 6:51 pm
    • I totally agree. THE WINNER SHOULD HAVE BEEN HILARI……..she has a great attitude and she has versatility and she is likeable. I was really upset that Leslie won. She did not deserve the win, Hilari did.

wkphd on August 22, 2012 at 12:26 pm
  2. Hilari should have been the winner. She made something quite special. It was live a haven and you would quickly forget you were in a metal container!
    Tom did Tom which is fine and has its place – I love his taste but feel he never showed variety.
    Leslie's was a disappointment – it looked like a room inside a metal storage box. Easy enough to do when you are centering it around children.. though I.don't know how well it would go over on Cape Cod.

Hilari was consistenly good throughout and she has a good bit of charm. Her rooms always had personality – I loved that she usually found something irresistable to add to each project – something that "spoke to her" . If she has a fault it might be in her grammar. She was not always correct – but look at our network newscasters, they aren't either!

Anne on August 22, 2012 at 6:57 am
    • Talk about incorrect grammar; did you catch Leslie's camera challenge? Her first words were, "Me and my family……." So, as she would say, 'lordylordylordy'.

guest on August 22, 2012 at 4:53 pm
    • Yes, I love Hilari but hope she sees a grammar coach, as I am sure she is going to have a career in television. Her grammar at times drove me crazy. Do you remember what she said about Dan's green wall" "Let the chips fall where they lay?" I think that saying is "Let the chips fall where they may."

peggy on August 22, 2012 at 5:53 pm
      • You are right on the money, so to speak!!!

guest on August 22, 2012 at 6:28 pm
  3. So innovation and sass is what set Leslie apart from the other designers……due to video glitches, I haven't viewed the finale yet so hope pictures are posted soon and I can see what all the flap is about! David, check out all the comments on the blog; many are wondering what the criteria was as to the selection of the final design(er). I can't wait to see how it all came together! Judging by your comments alone, it sounds like Hilari was the winner, with her excellent space-planning, getting out of her comfort zone, but still adding several of her trademark elements. I think Tom tried that with his blueberry bathroom, to no avail, and so is it any wonder he sticks with his neutrals, which always rank right up there with class in style, in my opinion? And you're right, Leslie's innovative approach with the murphy bed is a winner, and her sassy demeanor just might add a new twist to a gueststar role on an already established show. So when/where can we watch her??? Congrats, Leslie!!!

guest on August 22, 2012 at 7:05 am
  4. Leslie's room must have looked better in person, because on TV it came across as cluttered, cramped, dark, and depressing. Murphy beds and chalk paint have been done before ad nauseum. Tom's room looked cosier and more inviting. In my opinion, Hilari had the best design. Her room was well thought out, cheerful, and most of all very functional. Her deck was pure genius — so much function packed into that small space. And I so disagree with Genevieve — thought she had the best color choices of the three. Perhaps things looked very different in person, but isn't the idea to create a space that looks good on the small screen? From a viewer's perspective, Leslie's design was the least attractive. That being said, congratulations to her, and good luck to all of the All Stars contestants.

Disagree with judges on August 22, 2012 at 7:05 am
  5. Hilari is the true winner of this competition. Genoveve must have influenced the others because it seemed they got it at first. My best to Hilari as she pursues what will definitely be a "winning" future. God bless you and your family. And just so you don't think I'm a hater. ..Congratulations to Leslie you rocked too!!

Beverly on August 22, 2012 at 7:12 am
  6. I am truly confused as to the judge's decision here. Listening to them, it sounded like Hilari's design was a definite cut above the rest, a winner all the way around. Her deck, alone, was the only one that addressed the challenge of making an 'outdoor living space' not only functional, but pleasing to the eye, with its unique design and creativity. I thought her color choices were fabulous; of all of the spaces, I'd definitely spend time in there; it was cozy, multi-functional, well-conceived, and a winner, in my book. Tom was his classy self with his neutral schemes and David's right, those drawings were incredible. Leslie's murphy bed/chalkboard was innovative, but surely, like Vern said, who would sit on that hard piece of wood other than a little child who might climb up for fun? And as Carter said, her outdoor space really didn't have much thought in it; where was the cocktail party vibe she said she wanted? While I think all of the designers are winners in their own right, each with his/her own unique style, I think the winner, hands down, in this challenge, was Hilari. So still trying to figure out how Leslie's 'innovation and sass blew the judges out of the water', Maybe the containers read differently in person as opposed to tv/video screens, but I really think the judges are wrong this time. And, if you check on Wikipedia, they list Tom as the winner!!! Congrats to Leslie, Hilari, and Tom; you are all winners in my book!!!

guest on August 22, 2012 at 7:43 am
  7. I Like Leslie a lot. Love Hilari, and Tom is alright with me too. While watching the show, as the contestants time ticked away I knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that the competition belonged to either of the two women. Tom's design was redundant-same style, color palette, same look. Hilari's design showcased her range, while remaining true to her style and vibrant personality and character. Leslie, had a Murphy bed with a chalkboard bottom, and rolling furniture. I KNEW the panel would give her the highest praise for being innovative, although in all honesty, with the Murphy bed raised, there isn't any real added functionality of the room. Unless it's raining, children on vacation can care less about a chalkboard. (I only speak for my rambunctious four). All in all a great series. I enjoyed it. Best wishes to all the All-stars. Congratulations Leslie!

DecoratingHobbyist on August 22, 2012 at 7:46 am
  8. Hilari exceeded the other competitors by a very wide margin and definitely should have been the winner. . To consider a tacky murphy bed and chalk board to be a design winner is so disappointing. Leslie never received accolades regarding the room's interior pieces, paint, or design layout, yet was deemed the winner???
    Please find a place for Hilari, she has personality, charm and TALENT AS A DESIGNER!!

Merry on August 22, 2012 at 7:49 am
    • Ditto! There should be a fan petition to get her her own show! HGTV needs her – her personality, genuineness and bold design. BRING HER BACK!

Guest on August 22, 2012 at 9:39 am
  9. I am blown out of the water by the panel's decision. Do they use a numerical rating system, a checklist, a compilation of before's and after's, what is the criteria they use to come up with the winning design(er)? Is there such a thing as a design formula they're following? How much $$$ do the contestants have to work with? How many people help them out besides their carpenter? Several things weren't even mentioned, like the wonderful window screens on Hilari's windows which echoed that multi-functional room divider/bookcase; loved that! And as each container had different windows, she was the only one to address some sort of clever design in that space…..Tom's idea to flank his window with built-in bookcases was a fabulous idea, in my book; I loved the table and chairs placed there in its own little nook. Leslie did make use of every inch of space but it didn't look all that comfortable to me, although it was joyful and fun, whereas Hilari's space, by far, invited me in, right from stepping onto the deck; did you see how the french doors framed the mirrors inside? Beautiful!!! I totally disagree with the judges decision. In saying that, there are elements of each design that appealed to me. So congrats to all!!! Which show will Leslie have a guestspot on???

guest on August 22, 2012 at 8:19 am
  10. Hilari was robbed! She was the clear winner.

jodyb on August 22, 2012 at 8:26 am