Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 22

David on the All Stars Finale: The Toast Goes To…

David Bromstad Design Star All Stars Host

David breaks down the designs and the final decision. Plus, inside intel from the judging room.

Here’s what David had to say from the set:

Do you agree with David (and the judges)? Did the right designer win? Weigh in in the comments below.

Posted at 10:40 am

212 Comments

1. I've got to go with the majority. It should have been Hilari. Her space looked incredible on TV and she has a great personality. Since I thought this was the criteria, I'm very confused. I have nothing personal against Leslie, but I have to be honest, I will not be watching when she appears – wherever. Hilary or Tom would have been a priority for me to watch. I guess lesson learned; don't bother to watch because the hoops they make them jump through to show their talent evidently mean nothing. If you're just showcasing your pre-picked new "talent", be honest.

JRT on August 23, 2012 at 12:09 pm
    • So Wrong! I really don't believe there was an agenda here, regarding your comment about pre-picked talent. The designers all went in with a clean slate and Leslie just jumped through those hoops better than the others. She won fair and square.

gailed31 on August 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm
  2. I thought Leslie had a great personality. I'm looking forward to watching her in the future.

gailed31 on August 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm
  3. Leslie was consistantly better through out the run of the show. The camera loves her and she is good at what she does. She deserved to win.

maebob22 on August 23, 2012 at 12:39 pm
  4. I have to agree that Hilari's design was by far the best, including her color choice! She made that small space so warm and inviting and functional. I'll agree that Leslie's Murphy bed with chalkboard paint was a great idea, but to spend more than a weekend in her container would be difficult. Hilari's bookcase/room divider was perfect as was the wall treatment making the deck extra living space. To top it all off, I find Hilari's personality and range to be much more compelling television than Leslie's "sass" ever could be. Sorry Judges, you got it wrong!

Rick on August 23, 2012 at 1:03 pm
  5. I can't believe some of the things I'm reading, here. I didn't even like Hilari's style, nor did I see this "personality" she supposedly has. I think the judges got it right. Leslie was just a cut above the rest. She has great taste and did great on the camera challenges. I was rooting for her on Season 6. I hope HGTV gives her a show. I'd love to see more of Leslie.

maebob22 on August 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm
  6. SO happy to see all the love for Hilari! Her space and color pallette was by far the most beautiful and innovative – plus she carried the simple design of her window screen through in the wall divider and the exterior porch wall. That is incredible given such a short time frame and really showcases how organized her design process is. And, as much as I love her design work, I honestly love her personality! She owns her sense of style and is refreshingly entertaining to watch. Extremely disappointed in HGTV. A huge loss for them if they can't capitalize on finding this true "design star" and tv personality. Hilari, don't stop until you have your own show – you are brilliant!!!

Jodi on August 23, 2012 at 1:09 pm
  7. I really don't think Leslie won because she's blonde! Nor do I see how Leslie winning has anything to do with Danielle.

maebob22 on August 23, 2012 at 1:25 pm
  8. The only thing I agree with in your diatribe was your assessment of Hilari. I really don't like her style. I do like Tom, but Leslie was the clear winner.

maebob22 on August 23, 2012 at 1:28 pm
  9. Interesting. That would explain alot. I'm not getting this parade of positivity for Hilari anymore than I understand the negative things being said about Leslie. I liked her. She certainly didn't do anything to inspire such back lash. I'm at a loss.

maebob22 on August 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm
  10. Hilari was robbed!!! She is the best on-air personality and should have won the title. She was the best designer. Leslie's space was so kid friendly, it didn't hold the eye of an adult. Someone presuaded the other judges that got it right the first time. Right Geneieve? It's obvious!!!

Janetye on August 23, 2012 at 1:44 pm