Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 22

David on the All Stars Finale: The Toast Goes To…

David Bromstad Design Star All Stars Host

David breaks down the designs and the final decision. Plus, inside intel from the judging room.

Here’s what David had to say from the set:

Do you agree with David (and the judges)? Did the right designer win? Weigh in in the comments below.

Posted at 10:40 am

212 Comments

1. Leslie was the better designer. She deserved to win. The judges got it right.

trevs78 on August 23, 2012 at 1:48 pm
  2. Congratulations, Leslie! The judges got it Right! Leslie is stylish, informitive and fun on camera. I can't wait to see more of her on HGTV!

kk66 on August 23, 2012 at 1:55 pm
  3. I can only believe that Genevieve and Vern thought they were still on Trading Spaces and that Leslie designed Hilari's room. I suppose they think their viewers lack common sense. Children would injure themselves in Leslie's room after they hurdled the coffee table to get to the bed. Hilari was absolutely cheated and so was Tom. I would not have had an objection had he won because at least he was creative, and those drawings were fantastic! HGTV designer's are beginning to look like Stepford Wives. It's time for another network to take over. BTW why are they airing Million Dollar Rooms in this economy??? Oh my, now I know why Leslie won, her parents had a cottage just like the container – where was it now, Cape Cod?!?

juanda2 on August 23, 2012 at 2:41 pm
    • I thought it was Leslie and her wife who had a second house on Cape Cod, which their children loved, but I could be mistaken. I think we are seeing so many House Hunters and Million Dollar Rooms because they are probably cheaper to produce. For decorating shows, HGTV has to pay a "star" designer, a carpenter, and pay for building/decorating supplies. And the design contests cost a lot , too, because HGTV has to pay "star" designer judges, and the host/mentor, travel/lodging/meals for all the contestants, building/decorating supplies, carpenters to assist them, and drivers to take them all shopping for supplies, and has to supply the spaces for them to decorate in many of the episodes, like the white rooms, the yurts, glass houses, miniature houses, storage containers like last night, etc. So I understand, but it's still frustrating. I did enjoy Real Estate Intervention, though. I thought it gave the homeowners trying to sell their homes, as well as the home audience, a good lesson in not buying real estate at the top of the market or paying more than you can afford, thinking the value will always go up. It was a rude but beneficial awakening for people to see how fast a home can lose its value, how unrealistic some sellers' expectations were as to what they could get for their homes, despite the improvements they may have put into them. It was a good lesson to keep many people from making those same mistakes in the future when they see how much money some of the sellers had to bring to the table just to get out from under their mortgages, often to move to a place where they had procured new employment, or simply to get out from under crushing payments. Many of those people should have rented in the first place. Speaking of renting, I miss Jodie's "For Rent." I thought it was a useful show to help people select rental spaces, and it was also a decorating show when Jodie would fix the new place up for her clients.

Moonbeam on August 23, 2012 at 7:44 pm
  4. I was shocked and amazed that Hillary did not win!! If not Hillary then at least Tom, but I really believed that Hillary had the best design for inside AND outside.

Their selection is clearly not based upon selecting the best designer. So, in my mind, all future show selections are suspect. I am very disappointed. They could solve this by letting the viewers have a vote or at least letting us have some input to the selection.

Aleta Wilson on August 23, 2012 at 2:58 pm
  5. And can we please get someone to tell Genevieve that her Sharon Stone, Basic Instinct impersonation is not working. WEAR SLACKS if you can't manage to sit on a stool decently!

juanda2 on August 23, 2012 at 3:06 pm
  6. Watching the show I always felt Hilari did a wonderful job. Sometimes she came across snippy and I always put it up to her being tired. I hope the best for her, she is very talented. Leslie was the crazy person as David said but I think she always put too much stuff in her designs, sort of like her personality. I really enjoyed this show. The designers should have listened to David more. Their loss usually.

Marata on August 23, 2012 at 3:10 pm
    • Yes, whenever they ignored David's advice, it would almost always bite them in the butt with the judges later.

Moonbeam on August 23, 2012 at 7:46 pm
  7. P.S. Congrats to Leslie. Your tastes are high class, and you've come a long way in facing the camera. Still think HIllary was/is the natural on camera, but you put your skin into this. Way to go. P.S. Tom, we loved your style too!

@DIYMarta on August 23, 2012 at 4:01 pm
  8. David,
    Maybe I need a more itemized theoretical way of scoring the contestants (color, space, innovation, use of outdoor space, etc.), as I have been testing students for over 30 years. You have to justify grades when you teach college and so I think the judges should justify theirs on this show! While I do not know if the rationale for such a decision is obvious to the players, it does smell fishy to the audience. You said yourself that Hilari had a great design and the outside space was far superior. It is obvious that you do not like Tom. As for Leslie, a murphy bed concept was not created by Leslie. Those chains are questionable for holding an adult or for kids bouncing. The indoor space was jumbled and convoluted. The outdoor space was minimal and something I could have done on a Saturday trip to Home Depot. C'mon, what is really going on behind the scenes?

Susanprof on August 23, 2012 at 6:37 pm
  9. I agree, Anne. And I also agree about Hilari's grammar and her overall speech pattern. For instance, she said, "Let the chips fall where they lay," rather than "may." But then I've also heard Clint Eastwood say, "At the same token," rather than, "By the same token." You are also correct about the newscasters. Sometimes they say "I" when "me" actually would be correct. I think Hilari has so much going for her, but she needs to tone down the bragging and work on a professional speaking voice. I hope we see more of her on HGTV, and I think we will. She really has so much talent and charm (when she isn't talking about how wonder she is). I do get the impression that Hilari is a kind and caring person, though.

Moonbeam on August 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm
  10. Leslie can buy great coffee tables. Period.

guest on August 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm