No living room is complete without an ottoman. I say this because I was given a rather lovely one two years ago from my older brother and he’s since become a staple in my space (the ottoman, not my brother). I’ve named him Wily Moe the buffalo, and he’s quite the conversation piece.

While I appreciate my ottoman’s personality, there’s just no denying that he doesn’t fit very well into my mid-century casual decor. So a-hunting I went for the latest in footstools. Most of these won’t work in my space, but I just had to share them.

Ottomans, Design Within Reach, Sleek Spaces, Alsto

Left: Design Within Reach, Miss Rio Ottoman, $350: 100 percent recyclable, made from overstocked flip-flops.
Middle: Sleek Spaces, Pandora Storage Ottoman, $139.99
Right: Alsto, Storage Ottoman with Tray, $99.99

Ottomans, BoConcept, Chiasso

Top: BoConcept, Boxy, diamond cover, from $359 and Maroc cushion in white pipe fabric, from $199
Bottom: Chiasso, cubo, $128

Ottomans, ZGallerie, Brocode Home, Horchow

Top: ZGallerie, Blanco ottoman, chocolate, $395
Left: Brocade Home, tufted ottoman – espresso, $1,199
Right: Horchow, Cocoa Leaf Ottoman, $229

I think I’ll stick with Wily Moe for now, partially because my brother would be crushed if he disappeared from my decor. Which ottoman is your favorite?

Furniture Finds

1. scott says:

The little leather one is more me personally. Extra storage is always a bonus too.

2. Rhonda says:

Miss Rio is a must-have in a kids room or play area. I just love looking at it! I prefer the bigger ones like the Brocade Home for a family/liv room. It doubles as a table and extra seating. In a bedroom setting I prefer two or three at the foot of my bed. I love the style of the Horchow.

3. Pattie74 says:

I really, really love that Cocoa Leaf Ottoman. Now to figure out where in my house it would work.

4. Willow P says:

Being a wild nature lover Wily Moe is my #1 pick Caren, but the ZGallerie leather ottoman (as long as it's not a buffalo hide) is a close second. I especially like the sleek lines with a minimum of fussiness in the detail of the two tufts. That ottoman is only 1/2 inch shy of 3 1/2ft. wide and more than 2ft. deep. You'd definitely be able to fit more than two propped up feet on top.

5. Mary says:

Is there anything like the chiasso, cubo but bigger and with storage? I like the tufted leather but would like a some storage with the same wood base and legs, or a little more pointed or angled legs.

6. Robin says:

I'm sorry….but Wily Mo is so ugly it hurts my feelings…. :>0

7. Island_Girl says:

Those ottomans are great! I agree with Mary, tufted leather is great and especially with storage. We found ours at Home Decorators Collection. Love them!!! There is not too many stores available so you can see some great stuff online at their website. A great bonus…my friend told me that if you call the Home Decorators store in Kansas City, KS you get half price on shipping!!! Wish I would have known that before I bought mine!

8. Caren says:

Robin: That's OK — buffalo footstools aren't for everyone. I will say that he's much uglier in that photo than in my living room. :)

9. Michelle says:

I'm looking for one now, I love the one from Brocade and they have it in black , gray & white too, but I don't want to spend $1599. for it and buy a sectional at the same time.