Spring is in full swing in most parts of the country, which means it’s time to break out the patio furniture. But if you’re tired of last year’s hunter green and beige patio set, you might be less than enthusiastic about spending time outside. Here are 5 timeless design ideas that will restore your faith in your outdoor decor.

Outdoor patio room

1. Paint select portions of your wooden furniture to create interest like Rate My Space user danap did. I love how her earthy choices of green and red blend seamlessly into the landscape. Did you notice the green-painted spindles on the bench? How about the Zen gazing ball? Extra points if you spot the colored planters.

2. Yellow, gray and black are the go-to color trio this spring, but the color scheme has been around for a while (hello, bumblebee!). Create a spring table setting outdoors with a gray tablecloth over an unsightly table, and add black charger plates with yellow napkins.

3. Tulips are one of the hallmark flowers of spring, so gather a container filled with rocks (to keep it steady) and arrange bursts of tulip color wherever your outdoor space needs it. Especially beautiful next to a chair or bench at your front door.

4. Take a can of spray paint to your aluminum furniture. Black is always classic, but you might experiment with deep brown to simulate the look of wood.

5. Invest in a new umbrella for your patio set. Changing up the umbrella to a bright, bold color like red will always be in style.

If you prefer trendy style or are bored with the same-old outdoor style, check out these fabulous outdoor room trends.

And if you’re not quite ready to head outside because it’s still snowing, you can always bring the garden to you.

Inspiring Spaces

1. fay says:

Can you please tell me about this patio "floor"? What is it made of and how was it done?

2. Caren says:

Fay, the person who uploaded this photo to Rate My Space says on the photo's page:

"My house was built in 1950, and I'm told that this concrete patio embedded with river rock is original to the structure."

Very cool!

3. Tracey says:

I love how the outdoor room is clearly defined by the river rock patio and border surrounding it! They also did a great job of softening with the floral pillows. A perfect solution if you do not have a green thumb- add color with accessories!

PS I don't know about the black, yellow, gray color trend. We have very long winters here, and I lean toward strong mixes of color in the summer. Personal favorite- cobalt blue, purples, and yellows or oranges.
    Tracey

4. Yolly says:

I would like to know how to do the floor in this picture. Thanks!
    793975

5. Shearrine says:

Hello my name is Shearrine Diaz-Maya and i have been in love with your show for some time now. I would like some information on how to get my yard remodel. right now we have a big space but no grass. you can do so much with the backyard but we lost money in the prosses. please help my family turn this yard in to a fun yard for me and my kids. It seems no one will or has been in the yard when we brought this house. please help

6. Great outdoor room!
    That looks so inviting!

7. Deana says:

Love it the only thing I would have to change for me is the plant on table looks great but it looks as thow it would make it hard to see and talk to someone across the table.