Design HappensGuest Blogger: Chelsey Bowen, decorating editor, HGTV.com

Earth Day is just around the corner (April 22), so HGTV is getting in the spirit with their eco-friendly special, 20 Ways Your Home Can Save the Planet. Premiering this Sunday, April 20 at 8/7c, the special takes viewers through a tour of some of the greenest homes around. Plus, get their 20 tips for creating a more eco-friendly home.

Here are two of my favorite ideas:

Tip #5: Recycle with style. Instead of buying new furniture and accessories, look for vintage pieces or those made from recycled materials.

20-ways-lisbon-dining-collection.jpg
The Lisbon Dining Collection was made from sustainably harvested wood, so ecosystems aren’t impacted by tree loss.

Tip #8: Paint it safe. Be environmentally responsible by shopping for products that tout low volatile organic compounds (VOCs).

20-ways-low-voc-paint.jpg
YOLO Colorhouse has premium interior paints with zero VOCs. Now, you just can’t beat that!

Get all the environmentally friendly products featured on the show in HGTV Marketplace.

Don’t forget, as of today, you still have three more weeks to enter to win the HGTV Green Home. Enjoy!

1. Lauren says:

I just want to comment about bamboo flooring. Although eco friendly, in some areas (especially in poorer areas) forests are being torn down so bamboo can be planted.

2. Michelle says:

I didn't see this tip listed on the Top 20: Reuse decorative items or furniture you already own. I know I have taken pieces of furniture or artwork that currently reside in one room and recycled it by adding it to another, designing a new room, if you will. It helps me to focus on staying aware of the environment by reusing what I already own. In some cases, I've even rifled through a long-forgotten box of items and find a gem that works perfectly as a "new" addition to a room. A free, green way to redesign!

3. Helen says:

20 Ways Your Home Can Save the Planet was a good show but how about giving the viewers the information on where they can donate items that can be reused and made into different products? I am particularly interested in the basket which was made out of recycled flip-flops.

4. Carolyn Glass says:

I am almost to the point of tuning HGTV off. Everyone keeps using green paint. Here in the West, green is used on propane tanks and in institutions. Let's see some one use a new idea instead of ugly shades of green.

5. Marcia says:

I love Earth Day! Going green is definitely the way to go. There are so many ways to go green and let's start reusing instead of wasting. I am inspired by people who find creative ways to reuse old furniture and accessories in their homes.

6. tom says:

It is nice. I like it very much.

7. Bonnie says:

I think green is good, but until you make it affordable no one will use it. Yolo paint 14.00 dollars a quart??? I could never paint my house. Since we just bought our home and every room needs painted and the floors need replaced and the kitchen upgraded and the bathrooms redone it will be a long time coming before I use green. But thanks for letting people know.
    Bonnie

8. jhon says:

wow.. this room corner great .. thanks for share