Why sacrifice style just because your piggy bank is starved for cash? Last night Design on a Dime revealed their Top 35 Budget Decorating Secrets. If you missed it, catch the rerun May 18 at 5pm e/p. Here are three of my favorite tips.

design on a dime window treatments

Secret #16: I love the idea of moving the curtains to one side of a window in order to create height and dimension.

design on a dime less is more

Secret #15: Maybe it’s the minimalist in me, but less is definitely always more!

design on a dime modular design

Secret #1: This speaks directly to renters and small-space dwellers: Make your room easily interchangeable with modular furniture that serves multiple purposes. Less cost for fewer pieces, more money to add stylish accessories.

What are your favorite tips from the show?

Inspiring Spaces

1. Ann says:

Nice tip regarding the curtains. Not only will it add height but also would allow natural light to get in, which will make the space airy and feel more spacious. I liked the third photo…so nice.

2. Eleanor says:

I loved this show, especially since Design On A Dime is one of my favorite shows. I also loved FreeStyle. I can't afford someone like Candace Olson (spelling ?), although, I think she is a fabulous designer. I would love to see more of the shows that teaches you how to do your own spaces while spending as little or no money as possible. P.S: I miss Lee, Summer and Charles, my absolute faves. Where are they???

3. Sherri says:

Eleanor, I couldn't agree more. We are also on a very low budget and i do a lot of DIY projects and have learned a lot from some of the shows but they seem to have shows that have budgets of thousands of dollars instead of hundreds. I wamt shows that help me not make me envious(?). Thanks for letting me vent.

4. Mae Dell Irby says:

I need help in decorating a home in Woodstock, Ga., which my son and I bought together. I am at a loss of what to do. Please help Mae Dell Irby

5. sharon venable says:

what do you do with two focal points?? 40inch plasa tv and a fireplace??? Please help

6. Lisa says:

Where is Candice going if Thursday @9:00pm is a show change?

7. acer says:

8. Bea Cochran says:

As a school librarian, I would like to redo our elementary (K-6) school library in a western (Texas) theme. Needless to say, the budget is very limited. It needs to have a very inviting look.

9. Katie says:

Does anyone remember what was used to create this beautiful glass candle holder that was featured on the show? I don't even remember whose idea it was, but it had a larger candle holder and a smaller one inside, and broken glasses were used to fill the gap and some sort of clear liquid was used to set the glasses in. I want to make the same one but can't seem to find anything about it. Thanks for your help!