I loved reading the Choose Your Own Adventure books growing up, so when we were talking about them in the office yesterday I thought, “How appropriate when applied to decorating!” and knew I had to write some of my own.

If you’re tackling home improvement projects this Memorial Day weekend, like my friends are, pick from the following scenarios to get started. The end result is up to you, preferably involving less office (by Lori Dennis) and more pool (by Kerry Burt) though both spaces are stunning. Good luck!

design by lori dennis (left) and kerry burt (right)

If you’re terrified of color you can:

If you don’t have a big budget to spend you can:

If you need some design inspiration right now you can:

Decorating Guides

1. Tracey says:

I absolutely need to have that outdoor room with the fireplace! In the Midwest we cherish our summers, because they are way too short. A fireplace would extend the time outdoors!

2. kathy says:

We have just downsized to an 1800 sq ft house. How do I go about finding an interior designer to give ideas. My husband and myself are very handy, we just need the ideas. Our livingroom/family room has a vaulted ceiling and is 13' by 18' with losts of windows for light and a fireplace. We were thinking of mounting a TV above the fireplace….any ideas!!!

3. Carrie Fundarek says:

??? Merry Meet, How do you make a Log Cabin bedroom into a Medievil Castle like room? Merry Part, Carrie*

4. Melinda P. says:

My house has quite a few 80's inspired design elements which are hard to live with! One glaring example: the brass-framed sliding mirror closet doors in both guest bedrooms – hideous! If I cannot afford to replace them, is there a great way to cover them?

5. Fay Schiebel says:

My husband and I just bought a home in Ogdon, Iowa and have a basement that is great space and very dry. In the NW corner of the basement it looks like a swimming pool bathroom with cement blocks approx. 8 feet long. When you go look behind this cement wall I will be darned if there isn't a shower and toilet…Very scary…..I would like help with this basement as my husband works for railroad and gone most of the time and I just had back surgery so I can't do much….If you would like a basement to fix up as a game room we would love to have you…..Fay Schiebel 641-751-1465 Thank you

6. Maddox says:

I'm moving this week and had friends move my 49" x 27" plasma into
    my new townhouse. It sits over the fireplace. I'd like to camoflauge the TV
    when its not in use and have purchased a large canvas to cover it completely to
    look as if its just a piece of unframed artwork resting on the fireplace mantle.
    Here's my challenge.

I don't want my youngest son who will be 10 next month to damage the artwork
    by taking it down when its time to "watch a show". I'm trying to figure
    out how I can have the light weight picture on some sort of pulley system so that
    he can just pull the string and tie it off (like a roman or roll shade). Of course,
    then there's the issue of seeing the strings! So I'm thinking of industrial
    fishline or something like that.

Do you have any suggestions for how to pull this project off? I'm thinking of
    padding the back of the picture with fleece or batting so as not to scratch the
    plasma screen. The TV is NOT in a recessed hole over the fire place.

Thanks!