Design HappensGuest Blogger: Chelsey Bowen, decorating editor, HGTV.com

After a long and relatively painful search for a new home, my husband and I have finally found our first place. For the most part, we’re happy with the rooms, but they all need to be painted.

The Home Depot was having its regular Memorial Day paint sale, so my husband, being the budget-minded man that he is, decided Monday would be the perfect time to buy paint. This, of course, sent me into a panic attack. What? No testing the paint on the walls, no trying multiple colors! I work for HGTV; I know the rules.

With a good deal of apprehension, I admitted defeat (let’s save a few bucks!), and we sat down to choose our colors. We decided on a warm color palette to grace the walls of our new home, and to be honest, I’m a little fearful of the results.

Behr paint color palette

Kitchen: We’re updating the kitchen with stainless steel appliances and gray/brown quartz countertops, so we choose Sweet Georgia Brown to bring out the flecks of brown in the new countertops.

Living Room: This room will be painted a combination of Clair de Lune and Sweet Georgia Brown, since it opens up to the kitchen.

Dining Room: We decided on Mountain Ridge for the dining room to contrast with the white wainscoting.

Bedroom: I’m dreaming of a gray-blue, white and black palette to create a restful retreat, so I picked up Gray Area for the bedroom.

Home Office: Ashwood is our pick for the home office off the entryway, which is being painted Clair de Lune.

So, what do you think? Are they too dark? Did I make some good choices or have I failed at my first attempt to paint a house?

1. Joyce says:

I dislike the color choices. That's because I'm have warm peach toned skin. I tend to surround my self in colors that I love and flatter me. You must have cool or olive tones in your skin to decorate with these colors. Possible dark haired or ice blond. These colors would depress me so badly I'd have to move. If you've never had your "colors done" read the book
    "Color Me Beautiful" by Carole Jackson. It will clear up a lot of questions about why people love the colors they do. If you love sunny yellow and chartreuse, celebrate it!

2. Lisa C says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE your colors… can't wait to see what the bedroom looks like with the gray/blue,black, and white combo. I also recently moved into my new home and so far my color palette is very similar to yours with the exception of the dining room…I picked a very warm and spicy orange based terra-cotta color! What I have learned from my painting experience so far (I haven't done the bedroom yet but I have a simlar blue/gray color planned) is that with all of the darker colors I needed that warmer and brighter orange to brighten up and enhance my other choices! Anyhow, you are the pro here, so congrats on the house and can't wait to see the pics! I think, with the exception of the dining room (DRAB), your colors are FAB!

3. Liz says:

I agree that the colors you have chosen are quite nuetral, but this will allow you to rotate colors on pillows, rugs and accessories. I have Clare de Lue from Benjamin Moore in my family room and it is has a warm, golden hue. Since all the colors are so nuetral, it allows you the ability to have a variety that blend from room to room. Good Luck!!

4. Alison says:

WOW! Nothing like committing your self to some fun and exciting COLOR to bring all of the gals out for comments. I think your choices are bold, rich and will be a terrific back drop to your room designs. I'm sure being the pro that you are you will no doubt delight us all with your results! I can't wait to see it.

5. elaine says:

I think you can do a lot to make your kitchen POP! perhaps a little dark for a kitchen, it is a nuetral color. the accent colors options are almost endless, soft colores, creams, aqua blues etc..bright colores such as lime green, orange and yellows would make it all pop. I would stay away from dark accent colors. As a employee of HGTV, Constance Ramo & of course my all time #1 designer, Candice Olsen could help out a fellow HGTV employee. I would love to see your kitchen all done.

6. Jan W-Florida says:

Colors are all, except for the biege, WAY too dark, it would drive me crazy!

7. cherry101 says:

I love the colors. The dark color in the kitchen depends on how well it plays off of the cabinets. Gray in the bedroom will be fine, with black and white. It is the color of my bath room with white trim, placing a fabric light gray and white striped blind with a sheer black curtain over it. So good luck and can't wait to see the results.

8. I HOPE THAT MY COMMENTS ARE NOT TOO LATE FOR ANYONE TO READ, AS I JUST FOUND THIS BLOG. I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH A FEW OF THESE COMMENTS THAT WORRY THAT DARK COLORS MAKE A HOME DEPRESSING OR THAT YOU NEED A LOT OF LIGHT FILTERING THRU THE ROOM OR LIGHT COLORS OR WHITES TO COMPENSATE FOR THE DARK COLORS.

GONE ARE THE DAYS WHEN INTERIORS HAVE TO BE LIGHT TO MAKE A ROOM LOOK LARGER OR NICE. COLORS WITH DEEPER BASES CAN CREATE A COZY INTERIOR OR A MASSIVE ONE DEPENDING ON HOW THEY ARE USED, A ROMANTIC SPACE, A TRANQUIL RETREAT. THE COLORS ARE CALMING, SOOTHING. YOU CAN ACCENTUATE THESE DARK COLORS WITH OTHER MEDIUM BASED HUES, THEY DON'T ALL HAVE TO BE LIGHT. THE ONLY CONSIDERATION WITH THESE COLORS IS THE CONTRASTING FLOORS. IF YOU ARE GOING WITH THE TREND, YOUR FLOORS MIGHT BE A WIDE PLANK IN A HANDSCRAPED OR STANDARD PLANK BUT A DARK TONE, AS WALNUT STILL LEADS THE PACK. IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, AN EXOTIC WOOD WITH MORE OF A VARIEGATED TONE (ONE THAT VARIES FROM LIGHT TO MEDIUM AND SOME DARK ALL THROUGHOUT) MIGHT WORK BEST WITH YOUR COLORS. THE FLOORS ARE THE AREA OF EACH ROOM THAT CAN TRULY HELP IN COMPENSATING FOR THE DARK ON YOUR WALLS.

MY OBSERVATION IS THAT YOU PLAYED IT VERY SAFE WITH ALL OF YOUR NEUTRAL COLORS. ITS A SHAME THAT MORE PEOPLE DON'T EXPERIMENT WITH A BIT MORE COLOR. EVEN ONE ROOM OR ONE WALL WILL GO A LONG WAY. (i just blogged about the same thing on my own blog interiordesign2you.blogspot.com(( how funny))

NO MATTER WHAT COLOR YOUR CABINETS ARE, CREAM OR WHITE OR DARK OR NATURAL, THAT SWEET GEORGIA BROWN IS DEFINATELY TOO DARK A COLOR FOR THAT KITCHEN. I USE A TOUCH OF DARK COLORS IN VIRTUALLY EVERY HOME I WORK IN, BUT NEVER IN THE KITCHEN BECAUSE OF THE OVERWHELMING STRECH OF CABINETRY THAT CONTROLS THE SPACE. THATS THE ONE ROOM OF THE HOME WHERE YOU CAN'T FOOL THE EYE AND MAKE IT LOOK LARGER (because of the huge blob of cabinetry all in a row).

LASTLY, THE HALL COLOR LEADING TO THE OFFICE, DESPITE THE FACT THAT IT'S A WARM COLOR LEADING TO A COOL COLOR IN THE OFFICE, IS JUST FINE BECAUSE THE ROOMS ARE DIVIDED VISUALLY BY A DOORWAY. THEY ARE NOT OPEN TO EACH OTHER. YOUR COLORS ARE GREAT. SAFE, YES… TOO DARK FOR SOME, SURE… BUT YOU HAVE TO ENJOY YOUR SPACE. I HOPE YOU DO.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH PICKING COOL COLORS VERSUS WARM COLORS. BOTH CAN INVOKE ANY STYLE. THERE IS NO- COOL COLORS ONLY FOR CONTEMPORARY OR WARM ONLY FOR TRADITIONAL. ON THE CONTRARY, THERE HAVE BEEN COLOR COMBINATIONS CREATED FOR EVERY DESIGN STYLE IN EVERY COLOR PALETTE EACH YEAR.

9. BRIDGETT THOMPSON says:

I HAVE BLACK, BEIGE,AND TAUPE IN MY LIVING ROOM COULD YOU PLEASE TELL WHAT COLORS WOULD BE BEST

10. Mary Ann Stone says:

Could you tell me the color of paint that the living room in the Dream House is painted color and kind of paint.