Design HappensGuest Blogger: Chelsey Bowen, decorating editor, HGTV.com

After a long and relatively painful search for a new home, my husband and I have finally found our first place. For the most part, we’re happy with the rooms, but they all need to be painted.

The Home Depot was having its regular Memorial Day paint sale, so my husband, being the budget-minded man that he is, decided Monday would be the perfect time to buy paint. This, of course, sent me into a panic attack. What? No testing the paint on the walls, no trying multiple colors! I work for HGTV; I know the rules.

With a good deal of apprehension, I admitted defeat (let’s save a few bucks!), and we sat down to choose our colors. We decided on a warm color palette to grace the walls of our new home, and to be honest, I’m a little fearful of the results.

Behr paint color palette

Kitchen: We’re updating the kitchen with stainless steel appliances and gray/brown quartz countertops, so we choose Sweet Georgia Brown to bring out the flecks of brown in the new countertops.

Living Room: This room will be painted a combination of Clair de Lune and Sweet Georgia Brown, since it opens up to the kitchen.

Dining Room: We decided on Mountain Ridge for the dining room to contrast with the white wainscoting.

Bedroom: I’m dreaming of a gray-blue, white and black palette to create a restful retreat, so I picked up Gray Area for the bedroom.

Home Office: Ashwood is our pick for the home office off the entryway, which is being painted Clair de Lune.

So, what do you think? Are they too dark? Did I make some good choices or have I failed at my first attempt to paint a house?

1. elaine says:

I must say that you picked some great colors!
    iam afraid of such a dark color in the kitchen area///. i would love to see the end results…risky risky///

2. Lisa Simmons says:

Hi Chelsey,

I think your color selections are all nice, with the exception of the Clair de Lune. From the sample shown, it doesn't seem to go with the other selections you've made. I think your other color choices will flow nicely together, especially if you have light (shades of white) as your furniture pieces and accents, and if your style leans more towards contemporary.

I'm sure it will turn out lovely. Much success on your new home!

3. Georgia says:

Even though the colors are dark (which I love) I think you will be able to add a few bright accent colors to really make the room pop.

4. Rebecca S says:

I hope you have lots of windows and light furniture, as well as accent colors…these are quite dark…and bland at first glance! I hope the end result is the look you're going for! Will you post pictures when you're done? Good luck :)

5. Roxanne says:

I like them all but the Clair De Lune, a little too flesh colored for me… I would tend to go lighter in the kitchen but if it's accented with the right colors it wil definately pop.
    I do love the bedroom and office colors. Happy Painting!

6. Keely says:

I think it depends on the lighting and windows. Those are some lovely colors (I'm very curious what the countertops look like) though I'm not totally on the boat with the office color. Looks a little… too office-y to me.

7. Jackie says:

Really nice colors if you have LOTS of windows. If I were you I would paint a wall, or a large portion of a wall with the darker colors and make sure you can live with them. I have been in my new home for a little over a year and am about to re-paint the great room and kitchen/DR for the third & hopefully last time. This time I am trying out the colors first!

8. sheryl says:

I just watched Candice Olsens show tonight. Although the walls were light…the color family was the same as yours. I sat in my living room at 1 am and thought…do I dare do it? RMS has convinced me I need not be afraid of color…but not my hand yet. I still don't stroke it on. I love your colors and hope you will share on RMS so we can see when it is completed. '
    p.s. you can try them on my walls if you want. :)

9. karen says:

I agree completely about the clare de lune color swatch. Too pinky beige. Should have been more of a taupy gray. Nice thing about paint — easy to redo… especially since it is entryway and party of living area. Good luck. Please post pictures.

10. Terri says:

Chelsey, It's nice to see that you are not afraid of color. Love the palette especially the bedroom. I disagree with the comment that the colors seem drab.

No, color testing? You have way more color confidence than I. I would love to see pics once it is done.