Design HappensGuest Blogger: Chelsey Bowen, decorating editor, HGTV.com

After a long and relatively painful search for a new home, my husband and I have finally found our first place. For the most part, we’re happy with the rooms, but they all need to be painted.

The Home Depot was having its regular Memorial Day paint sale, so my husband, being the budget-minded man that he is, decided Monday would be the perfect time to buy paint. This, of course, sent me into a panic attack. What? No testing the paint on the walls, no trying multiple colors! I work for HGTV; I know the rules.

With a good deal of apprehension, I admitted defeat (let’s save a few bucks!), and we sat down to choose our colors. We decided on a warm color palette to grace the walls of our new home, and to be honest, I’m a little fearful of the results.

Behr paint color palette

Kitchen: We’re updating the kitchen with stainless steel appliances and gray/brown quartz countertops, so we choose Sweet Georgia Brown to bring out the flecks of brown in the new countertops.

Living Room: This room will be painted a combination of Clair de Lune and Sweet Georgia Brown, since it opens up to the kitchen.

Dining Room: We decided on Mountain Ridge for the dining room to contrast with the white wainscoting.

Bedroom: I’m dreaming of a gray-blue, white and black palette to create a restful retreat, so I picked up Gray Area for the bedroom.

Home Office: Ashwood is our pick for the home office off the entryway, which is being painted Clair de Lune.

So, what do you think? Are they too dark? Did I make some good choices or have I failed at my first attempt to paint a house?

1. Marie says:

I love your choices. They are dark, but with the right accent colors and furniture I think it will be beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing the end result. Please post pictures!!
    GOOD LUCK!!!

2. Tiffany K says:

I think the colors go nicely with each other, but the mountain ridge and sweet georgia brown are pretty dark. I don't know that it's necessary to use so many different colors – maybe you could just use the other three? Or, you could lighten the dark ones up with some white paint mixed in. If your new space is big and open you will be fine with your original plan. Just some thoughts to consider!

3. Paula Schroeder says:

I love your ideas and colors. If the kitchen has plenty of light then the brown will look great. My kitchen/family room is painted a little lighter brown and we love it…we use white, brick red and some black as accent colors. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

4. Jen R says:

I like the colors a lot, and the palette is great,though I am wondering if they are too dark (they would be for me..)…Once you get 4 walls reflecting on each other, they get way darker…If you think they are too dark, you could always move one down on each color strip or Ben Moore will cut them for you.. though if that's your color personality, they might be perfect.. hey, it's only paint ;)
    Jen R

5. Devon says:

I love the colors! Please please please post pictures of your bedroom once you get that finished! That is exactly what my husband and I want to do in ours but we are having a hard time finding the right shade of gray/blue.

6. Rosa Garcia says:

yo pienso que esos colores estan demasiado sobrios. De todos los
    que mas me agradan son clair de lune y el ashwood. Deberian ir
    por colores neutrales pero no tan sobrios. Me parecen colores de
    personas ya mayores.

7. Anna M Leuenberger says:

I like the colors especially the clair de Lune. I used it with the next shade of gold (don't remember which was darker) in our last house and it was warm and inviting in the living areas. I don't know why it looks brown here, mine was a soft gold. When we sold the house, it sold in the first hour on the market. I have never used greys but I have admired them in other homes. I think the whole effect will be warm and sophisticated.

8. Deborah says:

I tend to go for the brown color palette myself,so I like your choices. I feel to pull these darker colors off you need large rooms and high ceilings with some light coming in as well,especially for the dining room. I too would like to see some pics after completion!

9. kwalters says:

Fab! This is a great way to go neutral without being bland. Love the way the whole spectrum, from chocolate to taupe to warm gray, gives so so many opportunities for color in furniture and accessories. Can't wait to see the pictures here!

10. catherine s. says:

I love your brave choices of the new neutrals. I have been thinking fo goin with a warm gray for the main living areas in my home, too. I hope you are thrilled with your results. and yes, please post pictures.