Design HappensGuest Blogger: Chelsey Bowen, decorating editor, HGTV.com

After a long and relatively painful search for a new home, my husband and I have finally found our first place. For the most part, we’re happy with the rooms, but they all need to be painted.

The Home Depot was having its regular Memorial Day paint sale, so my husband, being the budget-minded man that he is, decided Monday would be the perfect time to buy paint. This, of course, sent me into a panic attack. What? No testing the paint on the walls, no trying multiple colors! I work for HGTV; I know the rules.

With a good deal of apprehension, I admitted defeat (let’s save a few bucks!), and we sat down to choose our colors. We decided on a warm color palette to grace the walls of our new home, and to be honest, I’m a little fearful of the results.

Behr paint color palette

Kitchen: We’re updating the kitchen with stainless steel appliances and gray/brown quartz countertops, so we choose Sweet Georgia Brown to bring out the flecks of brown in the new countertops.

Living Room: This room will be painted a combination of Clair de Lune and Sweet Georgia Brown, since it opens up to the kitchen.

Dining Room: We decided on Mountain Ridge for the dining room to contrast with the white wainscoting.

Bedroom: I’m dreaming of a gray-blue, white and black palette to create a restful retreat, so I picked up Gray Area for the bedroom.

Home Office: Ashwood is our pick for the home office off the entryway, which is being painted Clair de Lune.

So, what do you think? Are they too dark? Did I make some good choices or have I failed at my first attempt to paint a house?

1. Estella Barrozo says:

593200
    Hi my name is Estella. I am installing white shutter in my home, but I am having trouble finding a color. I have bought many sample, but still cant find a color. Can you give me some suggestions in what to look for. I like warm colors and netural colors. I want to do two color in my living room.

2. We recently put a metal roof (smoke grey)on our house. Now we want to paint the exterior to match the roof and we will install shutters to the windows. I need help with color or color combination that will all go together… Please Help

3. Kyle Osborne says:

Speaking of color…we recently bought a home that was built in the late 90's, when Hunter Green was the color of choice. In the kitchen, the tile reflects that color, plus a horid wallpaper, but beatiful oak cabinets. While replacing the tile is my ultimate goal, I am looking for some temporary fixes. I am considering painting the walls a bamboo color, using a sisal under the table (which is light oak and white), adding wheat colored roman shades (2 windows), and adding a white curtain to crisp things up a bit. Any suggestions/comments would be great!

4. Nancy says:

I am wanting to paint my living room/kitchen (great room), but I simply do not know what to do. Here is my living room..leather sofa (brown), beige carpet light stained piano and stone fireplace. The kitchen has hardwood floors (light color mixed with some darker wood), black granite counter tops, light stained oak cabinets and off white appliances. The table and chairs are oak (light stained). My house is very country and outdoors. My husband and I love the outdoors, but I am ready for some changes. Right now the walls are painted off white and the bottom of the living room has beautiful paneling that I don't want to change. The trim in stained "Special Walnut" and I love that. I just want to add some color.

What do you think? Do I have to paint the kitchen and living room the same color sinces the walls connect with no break? HELP

Nancy
    North Caorlina

5. Nancy says:

Painting ideas/ COLORS Here is my living room..leather sofa (brown), beige carpet light stained piano and stone fireplace. The kitchen has hardwood floors (light color mixed with some darker wood), black granite counter tops, light stained oak cabinets and off white appliances. The table and chairs are oak (light stained). My house is very country and outdoors. My husband and I love the outdoors, but I am ready for some changes. Right now the walls are painted off white and the bottom of the living room has beautiful paneling that I don't want to change. The trim in stained "Special Walnut" and I love that. I just want to add some color.

Nancy
    North Caorlina

6. sky says:

You should either not tell people that you work for HGTV or not tell them these are your colors. They all look like neutrals to me, except for the gray, which looks blue. But at least you should be ready for the 'Designed to Sell' phase of your life in the future.

7. Sheri says:

Don't listen to those that say the colors are too "drab" or "dark" etc. Most people are afraid of going too intensely neutral and will choose light bland shades that are as dramatic as oatmeal.

Many people who say color is the way to go and neutrals don't count are the ones who get carried away and paint every room a different crayon color. This can make a home lake a cohesive image/style.

I love all of your color choices and think that those colors contrasted with your lighter furnishings — ie stainless steel etc. — will make a glamorouss and dramatic impact.

8. Kirby says:

Hi!
    I used Clair de Lune in my last house and I'm using it again in this house. I LOVE it!! It may be the one color I take from house to house forever.

9. elena says:

The colors are very classic/Tuscan. Beautiful. It will depend on the color or wood stain of your furniture, but you are fortunate that it will pair very nicely with rustic, classic or contemporary furniture pieces. I do love the Clair de Lune color, a warm color that will compliment any dark shade. I am a little hesitant on the bedroom shade; do you want to lean a little more on the "blue" side and less towards the "gray" side? Only becuase it may read a bit cold. Again, paint is just the canvas of your room, what you put inside the room is what makes it pop off the canvas. I wish you much luck, you wont be sorry with your color selections. :)

10. Denise Slease says:

Obviously you don't like or are afraid of color because all of your colors are so neutral. Hopefully, you plan on kicking it up a notch with some colorful accessories. But I do like the colors that you've selected.