I’ve had a blast writing this design blog, but it’s time for me to move on to a different climate, a new adventure and undoubtedly a new home that I’ll get to design all over again. I’m looking forward to channeling the talents of my latest design crush: Mr. Angelo Surmelis. He has a knack for making something out of nothing in the most detailed way.

You’ve probably seen by now that he’s the host of Rate My Space the show, which got its start from our Rate My Space community online.

Rate My Space episode 101
Check out the first episode for a glimpse of his makeover magic.

But what I especially love are his Spacecast’s — weekly design critiques of the online community, where he highlights spaces I’ve never seen and gives out advice for low-rated spaces. Thanks to Rate My Space, your home can be the center of attention at HGTV, and if you keep uploading your spaces it might just land on this TV series!

spacecast.jpg
Head on over to watch the vlogs

It’s been fun bringing you the latest and greatest from HGTV. But don’t you go anywhere! Expect to find more great design in the future from the HGTV team right here on the design blog.

In the words of Angelo Surmelis, “Go forth and design well.”

Inspiring Spaces

1. kris says:

I love the new show "RATE MY SPACE!" It is always great to watch what Angelo does with a room and on the NEW show he gets to interact with other people on the web-site. HE'S SO GREAT WITH PEOPLE!!!!

I loved watching the room come together using inspiration from other peoples' houses. How Angelo can see something and re-do it so well is beyond me. The guy is a design genius!! (and 'cute as a button' as my 80 year old neighbor likes to say.) He is just fun.

2. Jayson says:

I have to give it to Angelo – that room looks lived in… it does not look "designed" but as if it was created over years. And at the same time, it could be in a design magazine. Really cool. Best of luck to you – I've enjoyed your blog!

3. Molly says:

I saw the first show on Sunday and I must say, I think its going to be a hit! Angelo is an extremely creative and talented designer, along with the works of a great team. I'm very excited to see what they are going to come up with this thursday!

4. Katie says:

Hi,

I just ran across this show and thought it was awesome! I'm excited to see more. Come do mine!

5. IMK Studio says:

Looking forward to the next show(tonight already!)Angelo, what style you have. Love,Love,Love those leather chairs!

6. willowp says:

Caren I agree with you. Angelo is making our cyberworld space lots more fun. He's got a knack with signs, a sweet disposition and a pleasing color sensibility. You will have to change his tagline just a bit to reflect your new adventure. May I suggest "Go forth and design well" – with SPARKLE!!!
    Thanks for all your thoughtful design happening posts. Take good care ;)

7. Tracey says:

Oh My Goodness, I LOVE this new show. Angelo, your designs ROCK! and I can't believe how much you pack into 30 minutes. What I love most is how you are able to take inspiration from one space and create something totally different (like the wood & chrome details in a kitchen turning into a wall of wood & metal) you are a true talent, can't wait to see more episodes. KUDOS Angelo & HGTV, you've got a great one here.

8. Grace says:

I am trying to get to where I can upload photos of my familyroom/bar area for HELP!!!

DESPERATE FOR YOUR REPLY.

THANKS,
    GRACE

9. Mary Bryant says:

I'm having trouble hearing your shows because of the monotonous tone and beat of the background music. I try to turn the volume down, then I can't hear the people talking. It looks like I will have to stop watching your shows because of that noise. Is there any way that could be taken out? I'm sure it's bad for other people with hearing problems. Thanks so much for your consideration in this matter. Thanks, Mary

10. Sarah says:

This show is AWESOME!! Angelo I do not know how you do it! I have been watching you ever since you did that show with Lisa Rinna (I don't know if I spelled that right).

Your designs are always inspired and I love that you really LISTEN to what the peoples design taste is and don't just do your own thing like soo many designers.

My husband and I have always said you truly stand out from the pack of make-over shows! We are both so excited about Rate My Space and cannot WAIT to see upcoming episodes!

Now we just need to get our place in tip top shape so our home can be an "inspiration" for people! Wish us luck!