Monica-Pedersen.jpg

Having trouble finding the perfect shade for your entryway? Did you try out a disastrous new color palette and don’t know how to fix it? Designer Monica Pedersen of Designed to Sell will answer your questions in her upcoming video series.

Post your color dilemmas here and we’ll pick the best ones and send them to Monica. Be sure to include your first name, city and state.

Here’s an example to get you started:
Hi Monica,
I’m having a hard time finding the right blue for my bedroom. What are your suggestions for picking the perfect hue?
Chelsey from Knoxville, TN

The new video series will appear this fall on HGTV.com. Stay tuned!

Designers & Shops

1. Betty says:

Hi Monica,
    We lived in our house for almost 11 years now & still have not come up with the perfect color palette for the house. Last fall,I finally had the entryway & family room painted a Sherwin Williams Belivable Buff & Camelback on upper walls in family room. I painted the future formal dining room a Ralph Lauren red & think I made a big mistake. I think it makes the room look too dark & small. The rest of the house is in desperate need of color but I can't seem to come up with the right choice of color or colors. Master bedroom,guest bedroom,& future office all have white walls because I can't decide on what is the right color &/or right shades. How do you decide or know what color to paint. I hate to go through all the trouble of painting only to have to repaint again. I would like colors that flow through the house & not look choppy or hard on the eyes. My hushand has been getting on me to paint the office for the last year now but I need help. We haven't purchase office furniture yet because I haven't decided on a color. I thought maybe a green but husband wants dark green I think it would be too dark & than thought of a beige color but think it may not be enough color. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Betty, Cary, NC

2. AL Larson says:

Hello Monica,

We would like to add color to our walls because they are all off-white and boring. We love seeing the different colors used on the HGTV shows but are having difficulty in selecting the right combination. We have some interesting architectural features in our house such and multible arches and extra high ceilings. Do you have any suggestions for picking the color combinations?Thank you for your attention.Regards,

Al from Eugene, OR

3. Pam says:

Do you do any landscaping, backyard, or patio work?

4. Donna says:

I am at a standstill in choosing a color for my kitchen. I've tried various yellows… My cabinets are sort of a pine not too dark not too light. Should i put a dark color on walls. My floors are read oak (sort of light almost matches cabinets). I was thinking something Tuscan like terra cotta or something. Please advise. Thank you.

5. PATTY says:

I rent a house, the carpet in my bedroom is a deep wine color; what color scheme goes with the deep wine so that I can get curtins and bed covers to complement the carpet?

Thanks,

6. Sharon says:

Hi Monica,
    My color delima is with the color Orange. I love this color but am having a difficult time coordinating my room around this color. My shams and coverlet are deep orange. My furniture is a orange-brown and so are the floors. With all this orange around me, what color other than green would be best for the walls?

7. Kathi S says:

We are redoing our very small Master Bath and my question is, will a dark floor with light walls make the room look smaller.There is no natural light in this room.

8. Jenn says:

Hi Monica,
    I have a dark purple sofa that was a hand me down. A new sofa isn't going to be possible for awhile so I was wondering what colors I could use to accent the room that will lighten the purple.

9. Karrie Q says:

Hi Monica,

I have an open floor plan with a great room, dining area, and kitchen that flows from one to the other. Varying ceiling heights and angles in the walls define each room. I recently painted the great room tan. The dining area is next to the great room, followed by the kitchen. Both rooms are boring bone white. What color do you recommend for the dining area and kitchen? The dining room furniture and kitchen cabinets are a warm maple. The floors are a mahogany red. Should I use the same tan color or choose a lighter/darker shade or ??? The two rooms do not have a lot of wall space but it still gives me a headache trying to decide.

Thanks,
    Karrie

10. Wilma says:

Hello. I have a very small bathroom. White tolet and sink and tub. I am redoing my floors and puting in wainscott on the half bottom of the wall that has a light wood tone. What color would be good for wall and floor. Thanks Wilma