It’s that time of year again! Time to send the kids back to school, give the yard work a break (it’s too hot anyway) and take a good hard look at your house — the closets, the garage, the overall clutter.

The task may seem a little daunting, but we have the organizational tips, the helpful checklists and the step-by-step solutions for creating a more manageable life. Now, let’s get started.

First: A Little Inspiration
It’s hard to imagine a clutter-free home when all you see is chaos in every corner and cabinet. Check out these stylish, yet organized spaces from our Rate My Space community.

lngregory-scrapbook-studio.jpg
Contemporary Craft Room by lngregory

tnprph-ladybug-bedroom.jpg
Little Girl’s Playroom by tnprph

Second: The Clutter
Whether the mail is taking over your house or your husband’s tools have conquered the garage, don’t miss any of our handy checklists for getting your spaces back on the straight and narrow.

clipBoard_icon.gif Four Steps to Less Paper Clutter

clipBoard_icon.gif Organize Your Garage Checklist

Third: The Rooms
Check out our quick organizing tips for every room in your house: bedrooms, living room, kitchens, offices and more.

hmofs-home-office.jpg
Organized home offices from Myles of Style

Fourth: Your Time
Too much on your to-do list? The key to staying organized is developing good habits that will last for life. Use our checklist to get you started.

Share some of your favorite organizing tips in the comments.

Decorating Guides

1. Joanne says:

I want to know where Carole lives and how much she charges. My house looks like the city dump and badly needs organizing. I'm handicapped or I'd do it myself. I used to be very organized, but then I became a mom and it all went out the window.

2. sealiz says:

This last year has been a great organizing/decluttering exercise for me. Here are a couple of hints I learned and that have helped me (I don't have a ton of time to spend on this, am rather a "creative messie", and am looking to declutter once and for all.

1. Clothes – start with one drawer. Completely empty it, go through the drawer, sort it, give things away (put in the car after you're done THEN), and go to the next drawer. Just having ONE drawer completely organized gives me the impetus/motivation to continue moving along.

2. Paper. I am a paper/magazineaholic. I now tear sheets from magazines that I want, then after they're in a file for awhile I scan them and have them electronically. I throw away the paper. I burn things to DVDs and then make a backup on an OFF-SITE backup site. I donate the magazines to my workplace gym as well as to the local library.

3. I have started really thinking about what I need to keep and what I enjoy. I have moved to a place that is 1/2 the size of my former apartment. It's amazing how much stuff you find you have and therefore don't have to spend gas and $ to buy :)

3. Carole says:

Hi Joanne,
    I live in Santa Fe and would be happy to help you get organized. Where are you?

4. As a Realtor in Columbus, OH, I refer many of my clients to Let's Get Organized as a way to guide them in preparing their homes for showing. Just about everyone seems to catch on and put the tips to work. It really is amazing to see what a little bit of direction from a site like this will do for anyone who is motivated!

5. Carole from New Mexi says:

I have a question for anyone who has been a yo-yo dieter. If you have lost alot of weight, should you keep your large size clothing…just in case. I'm organizing my friend in San Diego and we are dealing with this very subject. I'm saying, get rid of old clothing and keep up the great work. Once you get to your goal, go out and fill your closet with all brand new things. Donate and recycle things that don't fit. Why do people hang on?

6. Titan says:

Love the way plants have been used inside home offices to give that natural look. Here is another source of inspiration on using indoor plants.

7. Alex Bubrig says: