I’ve always considered myself something of an expert in small living spaces. After all, I lived in Manhattan for five years. But the members of the small house movement have put me to shame with their 100-square foot havens.

Tough economic times are putting them in the news lately. I saw a post on Strollerderby today, and it references a recent CNN profile of two different home owners. If you check them out you’ll read a lot about how these people give up space in order to save money or even to make a political statement. The element I think they both miss is that these homes are beautiful. The architecture, both the modern and the traditional, is lovely and on such a small scale every single detail shines.

Check out this sweet bungalow. It’s a mere 250 square feet.
loring.jpg

You can get a tour of two interiors courtesy of CNN.

I love the cozy space, the rigorous organization, the elegant efficiency. Some day, admittedly after my son is grown, I could see myself happily ensconced in my own perfect 250 square feet.

If you decide to downsize, Small Space, Big Style has what you need to make it work.

Inspiring Spaces

1. Danap says:

A little over two years ago, I downsized from 3000 sf to 1200 sf, and I've never been sorry. What my tiny ranch style house, which was built in 1950, lacks in size, it more than makes up for in character. When I moved here, I adopted a more minimalist attitude and began to furnish this house in the mid-century modern style it deserved. Gradually, I've replaced most of my large furniture with smaller vintage pieces from the 1950s and have learned that I'm happier with a more streamlined style. I've also learned that it's OK to use lots of color in a small house. It takes a little planning, but small spaces can pack just as much punch as large ones. To see my small house, search danap in RMS.

2. Carole says:

I love that little house! How much room do we need anyway? We live in probably 20% percent of our homes everyday. I moved from 3000sf to 1000sf. That doesn't sound dramatic, but it was.. until I realized that I was so comfortable and didn't feel like a marble rolling around in a large space. When you are raising a family, it's a bit different. You might need the space. When you are alone, it becomes a nightmare to have to keep up with everything. Embrace the small space!

3. penny says:

I moved 1000 miles away from where I grew up and spent 55 years of my life. I took only my clothes and a few precious items. I did not need "things." I now live in a 725 sq. ft. condo, and I would not object to going smaller. I don't need a lot of things –after all, they are simply t h i n g s. I feel cozy in small spaces as long as they are brighly colored.

4. Phylli says:

We live in a 650 sq ft house… built in 1945. I still have the original cupboards… I live on a lake; and I need ideas of how to decorate our cottage. I have all knotty pine… in living room; and 2 bedrooms. Husband has redone the knotty pine; and he is truly against getting rid of the knotty pine!!! HELP!!!! I would appreciate any and all ideas!!

5. Angie says:

I have lived in 240 square feet with husband and small dog for over 10 years. It has caused me much depression and anxiety. We have no indoor plumbing or kitchen. I cook on the porch. Living like this is no picnic. If I had 800 square feet in which to live, it would feel like a mansion to me. As I have gotten older, the harder it is for me to live like this. My husband feels like he's in heaven but the lack of room to even turn around when we are both in the "cabin" is driving me over the edge. Due to health problems, I cannot work full time anymore; hence the inability to afford to build a bigger home. To those of you who have downsized to only 1,000 sq. ft., be very thankful for your huge homes.

6. M.S. says:

My current house is 1100 sq. ft. which I live in with 3 dogs quite comfortably. I also dug out the sloping crawlspace to make a basement apartment which is about 300 sq. ft. It has a separate kitchen, sleeping area and bath with standing shower. It is well laid out and quite cozy. As long as you aren't attached to lots of "things" it is a great place to live in.

7. Jennifer Meisner Sco says:

I love the picture of the house on this page….I don't understand why more small cottage homes are not being built., every developer builds homes that all look alike and aren't built well and are boring …we don't need McMansions what a waste of space
    where are the books of designs showing small homes with a little personality ?

Jennifer

8. Bev says:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Americans got so caught up in 'keeping up with the Joneses" they got themselves in a whole lotta debt and are paying the price now. I have a 1,100 sq. ft Cape Cod. It doesn't have granite countertops (gasp!) and it doesn't have stainless steel appliances (double gasp!) and we have 1-1/5 bathrooms, thus no 'master suite'. (Are you feeling faint yet?) But it's clean, comfortable, cute and well maintained, but most importantly it's what I can afford. The key word here folks: AFFORD. Too many people with 'champagne taste on a beer budget' paying the price now. Little by little I am updating the interior. HD laminate countertops that look like granite…and they are SO affordable. Sorry…new white appliances at a fraction of the cost of stainless and they look beautiful and work just as well. Let's start getting sensible America! Really, does EVERYONE in the household really need their own bathroom? And builders should start getting sensible also by building houses that the average American can afford to buy without risking their children's college fund! We're not ALL millionaires.