If you haven’t checked out HGTV’s new show, Dear Genevieve, what are you waiting for? It’s one of the network’s newest makeover shows, and it’s hosted by a designer you may recognize. I first fell for Genevieve Gorder when she was an unpretentious, bouncy, barefooted designer on Trading Spaces whose work was almost always wow-worthy. As the host and designer of Dear Genevieve, she’s slightly more composed but just as passionate. From what I’ve seen so far, Genevieve carries her own show with grace and exuberance and offers up plenty of good design and creative ideas to boot.

If you’ve missed Dear Genevieve, here’s a look back and a sneak peek of the episode premiering tonight at 8:30 p.m. On the show’s premiere, Genevieve went above and beyond for a family of six, even taking them to get their first family photos in more than a decade for wall art that’s truly memorable. Genevieve created several storage solutions and activity zones and left this deserving family with a stylish, functional space. Check it out!

Before: A Space Plan That Wasn't Working and a Lack of Storage, Organization and Style

Before: A Space Plan That Wasn't Working

After: Fabulous for the Entire Family

After: Fabulous for the Entire Family

In tonight’s episode, Genevieve takes on a dark, paneled basement.
Before: Boxed-In and Mismatched Basement

Before: Boxed-In and Mismatched Basement

After: Colorful and Current
After: Colorful, Current and Personalized

Like what you see? Get in on it! Upload your problem room(s) here and Genevieve just might knock on your door! Be specific about your design dilemma, and be sure to show off your family’s personality in your video.

And, please. Tell us what you think about Dear Genevieve.

Design Inspiration

1. Pam says:

this is more a question………
    My son is painting the dark woodwork in his condo. He said, "White is out and tan/beige is in." Is white out and tan/beige in??

2. Shenoy says:

Dear Gen,

I have a weird fireplace. On top of the fireplace I have about 3 foot of open space then the ceiling. The foreplace is open on 3 sided . I need to decorate it. Please help!!

3. Rosalie says:

Dear Genevieve
    I live in the State of Rhode Island. I have lived in my home since 1972. A few years ago, I hired a contractor and removed a wall that seperated the kitchen and the living room. I also moved the stairway from the center of the home to the back of the room. now when you enter my home you can see from one end of the home to the other. I am now comfortable in my own home and I have no idea how to make it comfortable., it is not a large space and I do need help, please. Rosalie in RI

4. Lois Braithwaite says:

Dear Genevive,

I am on the board of a wonderful Cancer and Heart Fund Charity, which will have been in business for 50 years in 2011. We have a small office space that is sadly in need of renovation and we need your help. We are a completely volunteer organization and try to use the majority of our funds to carry out our pledges to the area hospitals. The name of our organization is the Ruth Newman Cancer and Heart Fund (RNS).

Many of us on the board watch your show and love what you do, and would like your help with our office renovation. We hope you will be able to help us.

Sincerely,
    Lois Braithwaite, Immediate Past President

5. Lois Braithwaite says:

Dear Genevive,

Sincerely,
    Lois Braithwaite, Immediate Past President

6. Becky King says:

Dear Genevieve–my husband and I have a 63" space to put a 45" flat screen tv on the wall and create shelves around it for speakers and components to sit on. He is handy with woodworking skills, but an idea of a design is what we need. Our home is traditional style. I would appreciate any suggestions.

7. Dawn says:

Hi,
    I love your work! Hopefully you can help me with this question. My house is oak trimmed from, all cabinets, windows, baseboards, stair rails. I HATE OAK! If I use a dark stain do I stain everything, or can I stop at some point?

Thanx' for any input. Dawn

8. Daisy Helber says:

Crazy question, but really, how do I write a letter to you? First off, I love the style, sensibility and functionality of your design. I'm a mom of two crazy boys, so we sold our charming and historic home and moved into a larger, newly constructed home with a nice backyard. But really, the new house has too much space, or at least if feels that way. I'm in a total design dilemma, one room after another… super high ceilings, very open layout, there's a mix of modern and earthy finishes… I know I need to connect it all with color, texture and character to make it feel like our home, but I don't know where to start… Please help!

9. Laura says:

Dear Genevieve,
    I have loved watching your show and have learned many things but I have a problem- my home is stuck in the 70's (the whole house) and I just dont know what to do to get started. There is all this dark paneling. Can you just paint over the panels or should they be taken out? There is cathedral ceilings throughout which make it nice and open, which I like, but with cheap wood beams – should we just paint them to match the ceiling? I plan to do some work in the kitchen so I would have to be careful with money when it comes to the rest of the house. Could you make some suggestions?

10. Duncan says:

OMG! Has anyone been watching DG? Last night she 'made over' a dining room. I have to say in years of watching HGTV, I've never seen anything more hideous. Who seriously paints a ceiling dark, metallic gray? And, who puts a bunch of wrinkly dark curtains all over the room. And that rug, …..are you kidding me? She's got a lot of nerve calling herself a designer.