I watch a lot of HGTV shows, and Designed to Sell is one of my favorites. If I can’t sit down and give my full attention to an episode, I love catching design nuggets while I’m doing other things. I had the show on Friday night while I was preparing to meet some friends for dinner when designer Monica Pedersen said something that stopped me in my tracks.
Lavender, Monica said, is the new beige. On this episode, Monica helps the Jacobs, a family of six, design their 1920s Colonial to sell so that they can move to Sweden. In the dining room, Monica is inspired by a blue-and-white, 18th century plate and convinces the couple to paint the space lavender to serve as a modern backdrop for the family heirloom. Kudos to the Jacobs for being willing to go outside the box. About the finished room, they said: “It works!” A potential buyer called the room traditional but also funky. What do you think?
Lovely in Lavender

Lovely in Lavender?

Whether or not you like the lavender, I think this dining room works. Just look at the before picture:
A Dining Room Not Designed to Sell

A Dining Room Not Designed to Sell

If you missed this episode – which also features a fabulous living room and sunroom makeover – mark your calendars for March 12 at 6 p.m. when you can see it again. Click here to find out more about the program schedule and the products used in this episode.

What do you think about the lavender? Would you use it as a neutral? Where would you use it besides in a little girl’s room?

1. pam says:

I hate the lavender, I would have never choose that color. It might have worked in a little girls room but it doesn't work here. I would have taken advantage of the two separate spaces and painted the bottom portion maybe a shade deeper and then painted the top part lighter using a flat base paint.

2. penny says:

No, no, no… it's not neutral. Most men, many women would not like it at all. The only way to pull it off would be if the room were so spectacular, so full of beautiful accents and sparkle that the wall color becomes secondary to the overall design.

3. wanda declouette says:

The before room was a lot closer to the most neutral. The plates and things all about make the room too busy. The lavender only adds to the "too busy look." The china hutch looks formal but the window treatments are too casual. The dining table is too light colored for the hutch. She would have been wise to add some placemats to bring some dark accents to the table. The plates look like something my grandmother would do.

4. DecoratingDummy says:

The yellow is too strong, but it is much better than the lavender. The light fixture & accessories were better in the 'before' pic. The one thing I did like better in the 'after' was the use of more blue transferware plates – that would have looked good in the 'before'. I like lavender but not this time. (My bathroom was ready for repainting & I repainted it the exact same periwinkle that it was before as I just love the colour.)

5. Kathy Tinkle says:

There is just something about the color "lavender" that makes me want to vomit, but the yellow was like someone shouting at me. If I had to make a choice for my house, I might try the lavender only much lighter, like it almost wasn't there.

6. Jane Sylvester says:

I agree with most of the others. I wouldn't use lavendar in the dining room. I would use a lovely medium green with white aaccents.

7. Ella says:

my boyfriend and I were talking about doing our new dining room in a pale blue-lavender (cold-toned grey) to add interest and compliment a theme based on the vintage 1930s art deco hanging fixture over the dining table. the room is currently large, white, and stark. The fixture was painted a matte black by the previous owner, and I was planning on adding a new, fresh coat of paint to this- keeping it black but freshening it up and perhaps a bit more shiny (eggshell?) ….we are also doing a corner bar and a wall of family photos in dark wood colored frames, as well as using a huge mahogany buffet, a mahogany colored dining set, and a mahogany corner china hutch (opposite corner to the future but not yet installed bar)….with all these large dark-colored wood pieces I thought the pale blue-grey-lavender would lighten and freshen up the room and give that vintage/funky speak-easy feel we want, but still be elegant enough for a formal dining room – and neutral enough for various table linens i.e. holiday linens in deep reds and greens – I think the trick is to keep it very pale and not too pink or blueish.

Thoughts?

8. So when you have plans to obtain your home renovated or need to plan an important business trip then immediately
    go with this loan scheme and fulfill your pending expenditures buy tickets online so you
    gratefully obtained a fast cash advance now you’re saddled with the repayments and you just can’t cut it.

9. Look into debts counseling or even clear the checking account for emergencies being capable to
    protect a fantastic financial situation inside long-term concert toulouse therefore, a real program is like pumping in fresh oxygen.

• DIY No Carve Lace & Glitter Pumpkins - HGTV Handmade