I got a press release today from alluminaire.com reporting the launch of their DIY custom wallpaper site. My first thoughts were: Meh, another example of technology gone bad and How much is this wallpaper gonna cost?

Alluminaire custom wallpaper

Alluminaire custom wallpaper

I take it all back. I just spent a very fun 10 minutes playing with their custom wallpaper tool, which lets you drag and drop a variety of patterns and colors, size them up and down, and see them displayed with a couple of furniture options. Prices start at what seems like a reasonable $8/sq ft (I did a quick search on “custom wallpaper” and found prices ranging from $6-$15/sq ft). Here are a couple more examples:

alluminaire-redshoes2

alluminaire-redshoes3

Have you bought custom wallpaper before? Would you do it again? I’m dying to know — I have a bookcase this wallpaper would look great in:

alluminare-kw

Design Inspiration

1. Jose says:

It's 8/sqft. That's not a steal for wall paper. And it doesn't offer anything you wouldn't be able to find at lowes for a lower cost

2. Thank you for all the great ideas about custom wall paper. It is always fun to create something that you can call your own. It shows how special you are in the way that it reflects in your home.

Dan and Deanna "Marketing Unscrambled"

3. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Maria Heim and Karen Buckoski. Maria Heim said: A really great blog post, @KarenRedShoesPR and @Alluminare http://bit.ly/NaWWx [...]

4. Nicolette says:

Not this kind of custom wall paper, unfortunately. Though there are wallpapers with complete graphics like maps, dragons, etc. These don't look like it's worth the prices.

5. Lucy says:

I think this is a great idea. I have a couple of lamp shades from this company and I love them and am going to try out the custom wallpaper. It is good that I can just order what I need and use it as an accent.

6. Carole says:

I love that wallpaper is finally making a huge come back. What an incredible way to decorate and the custom wallpapers are awesome.

7. Maria Rogers says:

I am doing murals for nurseries etc. etc. I wonder if this wall paper could be bought blank and if it is receptive to painting on? Or, if anyone has another suggestion for wallpaper? Sny how-to's are welcome also , as in how to handle such a giant amount of material? This wall paper here is a great idea for creative people m (that means everybody), but I do hope the company offers more than geometric designs only.

8. Romi says:

I'm definitely not a fan of wallpaper. I am much more interested in using creative solutions for the walls. Try using coat hooks to make any wall look more decorative – and to create a practical place to hang hats, scarves, kids' clothes and more. Check out the article called "Decorating Ideas with Coat Hooks" for more creative ideas.