I love estate sales, digging through other people’s garages, cabinets and basements is how I spend most Saturday mornings and I ALWAYS bag a bargain. My latest find was an assortment of cut glass plates, small bowls and candlesticks. Just decorative tchotchkes on their own but I have bigger plans for them: They’re going to become the centerpiece for my holiday table.

Here’s a sneak peek of the end result, learn how to make your own after the jump:

2blog_glittered-pinecones-and-greenery

This is definitely a big bang-for-your-buck project. All you need, besides the glassware, is food-safe, waterproof glue that is permanent and dries clear. This may sound like a tall order but I found the perfect thing at my local hardware store: an adhesive whose label states that apart from bonding glass to other items it can also be used to seal fish tanks, which must mean this is some heavy-duty stuff.

Start by thoroughly cleaning your finds. I filled a sink with warm water and bleach and soaked them for several hours to loosen up decades of dirt and candle wax then ran them through the dishwasher to create a sparkling, pristine surface.

2blog_adding sealentOnce all the parts were thoroughly dry, I added a bead of adhesive to the candlestick rim and set the plate (or bowl) on top, being careful to center it.

2blog_empty-plate-tiersThat’s it— set the joined pieces somewhere they won’t be disturbed for 24 hours to allow the glue to cure and your newly-created, vintage-look serveware is ready for service.

2blog_silver-and-evergreen-Christmas-centerpieceFor my centerpiece, I layered bits of cut evergreens (from my backyard) with vintage mercury glass Christmas balls and glittered pinecones.

2blog_glittered-pinecones-and-greenery

The glittered pinecones add a rustic touch of bling and are a snap to create: just gather a bunch from your backyard or nearby woods. Working one at at time, coat each pinecone with spray adhesive (like Super 77) and while the glue is still tacky, cover it with a dusting of crystal or metallic glitter. So pretty and so easy, these are a great project to do with kids. Add a bit of wire or ribbon to the top to create an ornament or tie several onto a wrapped gift in place of a traditional bow.

2blog_Christmas-servers-centerpieceWhile I was at it, I also made a few accompanying pieces with non-glass candlesticks as bases. So, give new purpose to the mismatched pieces in your china cabinet or wander through a local flea market or antique store and see what you can come up with, then share your holiday centerpiece pics with us at Rate My Space.

1. Kelley says:

These are beautiful. What a great idea for a holiday centerpiece: rustic and elegant. I love the blue version, too.

2. home decor guy says:

Beautiful decorations. great home interiors and gifts
    home decor guy http://www.wensdecor.com

3. Amm says:

I think the colors clash to much and take away from each other instead of complementing each other and standing out. Maybe some red apples and/ or green would work and look better than the orange. + loose the bleu!

4. faust says:

Best regards,
    Helen

From: Me
    To: Admin
    Date↓: 01 Sep – 4:36 AM

I can't describe what kind of difficulty I'm facing right now to proceed
    with the payment procedure you told. Is your paypal email
    Please tell, so I can forward my payment
    to you. I am unable to login to your prescribed link with my email address
    even though I am getting logged in separately.

From: Me
    To: Admin
    Date↓: 01 Sep – 4:27 AM

I can't describe what kind of difficulty I'm facing right now to proceed
    with the payment procedure you told. Is this your paypal email address is
    Please tell, so I can forward my payment to you.
    I am unable to login to your prescribed link with my email address even
    though I am getting logged in separately.

From: Admin
    To: Me
    Date↓: 01 Sep – 12:52 AM

Dear Muhammed, in order to complete the payment with PayPal, you need to go
    to the link which I have provided, On the butom of the page which you will
    open there is a button: "PayPal click here to pay" Click on that button
    and than follow the instructions.

From: Me
    To: Admin
    Date↓: 01 Sep – 12:40 AM

I have only paypal account. Don't you have your Paypal email address with
    you? I need to send payment to that email.

From: Admin
    To: Me
    Date↓: 01 Sep – 12:39 AM

Dear Muhammed,

The only way you can pay is through the link which I have provided to you.
    If you are not able to pay with PayPal, please use 2CheckOut

From: Me
    To: Admin
    Date↓: 01 Sep – 12:29 AM

Hi,

I need your paypal email address to complete that payment. Please reply
    immediately.

Thanks,

From: Admin
    To: Me
    Date↓: 31 Aug – 10:46 PM

Dear Muhammed,

Please go to the following link and proceed with the payment:

You can pay with PayPal or 2CheckOut. You should not have any problems
    with that. Please let me know if you will have any questions, I will
    gladly answer all of them

Best regards,
    Helen

From: Me
    To: Admin
    Date↓: 31 Aug – 8:57 PM

Hi,

do you have paypal account where I make my payment directly? I am having
    a hard time while paying through your instructions. Thanks,
    Muhammed

From: Me
    To: Writer
    Date↓: 31 Aug – 8:43 PM

Hi,

do you have paypal account where I make my payment directly? I am having a
    hard time while paying through your instructions. Thanks,
    Muhammed