There’s quite a colorful debate cooking on the HGTV facebook page today: “White holiday lights versus colored holiday lights: Which are superior?”

Christmas in Chicago color

You inspired us to dig into Rate My Space and the many merry pictures uploaded from homes across the country. How delightful to find RMS user joebucs32′s Christmas pictures from Chicago. Seems like he decorates in both colored and white lights. The colored-light picture, above, is from this year. And the festive white-light decor, below, is last year’s decor. Same room, two lighting choices. Both beautiful.

Christmas in Chicago white

Rhode Island Rate My Spacer apicozzi decked a lofty tree in white lights, a perfect accompaniment to the room’s crystal-draped chandelier.

Christmas in Rhode Island

As for outdoor decor, RMS user kdavis001 in Virginia opts to light up the night with white.  Alongside classic wreaths, a lovely display.

christmas in Virginia clear

Christmas in the South (at least at Buckhorn Lodge) calls for white lights paired with jewel tone ornaments, a trendy alternative that mixes both crisp white lighting with bright pops of color. We love this look, staygeorgia.

buckhorn lodge clear and colored ornaments

And I had to include a truly colorful Rate My Space find, although lights aren’t the stars of this Dr. Seuss-inspired decor by cozypep.  HGTV hears a Who?!

whoville510

If you’re debating colored vs. white lights or just to see some jolly examples of both, check out the Holiday section of HGTV.com’s Rate My Space. But first, tell us: white lights or multi-colored lights? Which do you like best?

1. Amy says:

I love multicolored lights, but my husband likes white….of course, I get my way on most of the house, but i always make 1 beautiful white tree with ribbon on it for him. All of my neighbors have white lights and it looks great, but our children love that we have colored lights, and all the other kids in neighborhood wish they had colored. When my kids are grown up, I'm sure we'll use white, but until then…multicolor it is!

2. Deborah Stevens says:

Deborah

I have seen some beautiful "theme" decorated Christmas tree's. Either all gold ornaments, all red ornaments ect.. I think you get the picture and there nothing wrong decorating your tree in a theme. They are beautiful ! But I can remember as a little girl, the tree my mother spent hours decorating our Christmas tree using the different colored lights and she used all sorts of ornaments, starting with the ones us kids made in school and then she would add the ornaments she had bought. It was beautiful every year. So while I do think that using all white lights on your tree adds a sense of warmth and elegance to the tree,I decorate our tree the way mom did every year with the colored light in remembrance of her. She's no longer with us to celebrate Christmas so I have chosen to carry on the tradition every year. I love putting the ornaments my daughter made in school on the tree and the ones my husband made in school as a little boy that his mom passed down to him along with the ones we bought. It always comes out beautiful! There are a lot of memories on our tree every year that always brings a tear to my husbands eyes as well as mine too. We both think of our mom and dad and the very special Christmas they made for us every year when we were growing up as kids.

3. Meade says:

Hey, Virginia is the South , too!

4. Rob says:

Colored is better

5. Becky says:

Twinsies

6. Luciano delao says:

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

7. Val says:

I like both. The white has a beautiful, classic look, although sometimes it can be a bit glaring, obscuring the lovely decorations around them. The multicolored lights can be very fun. They can also give a beautifully warn glow to a room. I think of years gone by in the warm glow of the large, multicolored bulbs on my grandparents tree. They lived in the country near their small, white, country church, which incidentally had those same large mutlicolored lights on the evergreens outside and the Christmas tree inside.

8. debrarussell says:

Colored is definately better on a tree! Also classic and warm!! One can use white lights for anything at any time so why would one waste a tree on just plain?! B-O-R-I-NG

9. Ottimo post sul blog. Sono informazioni utili.

10. Val says:

I suppose I am not familiar enough with trailer parks to have that image come to mind. I think of years gone by in the warm glow of the large, multicolored bulbs on my grandparents tree. They lived in the country near their small, white, country church, which had those same lights on the evergreens outside and the Christmas tree inside.