There’s quite a colorful debate cooking on the HGTV facebook page today: “White holiday lights versus colored holiday lights: Which are superior?”

Christmas in Chicago color

You inspired us to dig into Rate My Space and the many merry pictures uploaded from homes across the country. How delightful to find RMS user joebucs32′s Christmas pictures from Chicago. Seems like he decorates in both colored and white lights. The colored-light picture, above, is from this year. And the festive white-light decor, below, is last year’s decor. Same room, two lighting choices. Both beautiful.

Christmas in Chicago white

Rhode Island Rate My Spacer apicozzi decked a lofty tree in white lights, a perfect accompaniment to the room’s crystal-draped chandelier.

Christmas in Rhode Island

As for outdoor decor, RMS user kdavis001 in Virginia opts to light up the night with white.  Alongside classic wreaths, a lovely display.

christmas in Virginia clear

Christmas in the South (at least at Buckhorn Lodge) calls for white lights paired with jewel tone ornaments, a trendy alternative that mixes both crisp white lighting with bright pops of color. We love this look, staygeorgia.

buckhorn lodge clear and colored ornaments

And I had to include a truly colorful Rate My Space find, although lights aren’t the stars of this Dr. Seuss-inspired decor by cozypep.  HGTV hears a Who?!

whoville510

If you’re debating colored vs. white lights or just to see some jolly examples of both, check out the Holiday section of HGTV.com’s Rate My Space. But first, tell us: white lights or multi-colored lights? Which do you like best?

1. LeslieJudson says:

I'll start. I have to say my Christmas trees and garlands of late have been covered in clear lights. I love the look of white light. You can pair it with any color decor. However, this year my husband surprised me by trimming our 4' tabletop tree with multi-colored lights and a mix of ornaments from both our collections, including a few that we've begun collecting as a couple. I love it! So festive and fun. And new. Sometimes, there's nothing better. Happy Holidays, everyone!

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by HGTV Decorating, The CaribouGroup. The CaribouGroup said: Design Happens » Archive » White vs. Multi-Colored Christmas …: Seems like he decorates in both colored and whi… http://bit.ly/4CW60G [...]

3. khristian a. howell says:

white lights for sure! feel like the beautiful glow from candlelight

4. I've had both through the years, but think the monochromatic lights are easier to design around. All red or all clear lights on white trees, all amber or rall ed lights on green trees… whatever your color scheme is.. and then it doesn't look so out of place 'after' Christmas. You can still leave them on through New Years and enjoy the lights, longer, I feel that the multi-colored ones.

5. Gwen says:

I remember from back in the day… (50s – 70s) my mother always used white lights. Would change the color scheme every two years, and would use that color wheel, (you know red, yellow to blue wheel?) But the white lights were always present. I too use nothing but white lights today.

6. Clint says:

White lights, may use a string of red lights through the tree

7. Becky says:

White lights. They are classic and elegant.

8. Carolina says:

I like both. I keep colored lights on our little tree just because it reminds me of being a kid–and it personifies being a child in G-d. However, white lights are elegant and I enjoy them as well–especially in Churches.

9. Kate says:

I like both. I think white is definitely more elegant, so if you're going for that, then white is the way to go. Colored lights have their own appeal; they're fun! But I prefer the small colored lights to the huge bulbs.

10. Bernie says: