Our New York interns, Sarah Garza, Katherine Whelan and Eliza Grosovsky, got an early look at the show and got to interview Antonio. Lucky gals! Here’s the rundown:
The one-hour show is packed with the cool vibe that Antonio is known for. Now joined by his dog, Chewie, and a team of guys just as crazy as he is, Antonio is even more fun to watch and — oh yeah — his designs rock, too!
And now for the interview….
10 Questions With Antonio Ballatore
1. What instance in your life plays the biggest role in your design aesthetic? I think my whole childhood influenced my design aesthetic. When I was a kid, I used to rearrange my rock posters and furniture once a month. Both my mother and father were artists, we had 3 art studios and a house filled with crazy antiques, art and artifacts. Growing up in such an artistic house, from day 1 I was taught to color outside the lines, not be afraid to be different and to take chances with art.
3. When did you realize you wanted to be a designer? I don’t really think of myself as a designer but as a creator of cool things, whether it’s cars, spaces, music or art.
4. What was your first design job? I think it was helping out my dad when I was 10, doing a Macy’s Christmas window display in NYC.
5. What is your favorite show on HGTV? House Hunters International, Divine Design and Holmes on Homes.
7. Who do you think has the biggest influence on design trends in America? I really don’t follow trends, so I can’t exactly speak to who influences them. I hope this isn’t just a trend, but I do love anything green, sustainable and recycled.
8. What is the one piece of furniture you would die for?