design-happens-kim-myles300x400In honor of Black History Month, we’re honoring some of today’s most inspiring African-American designers. This week we interviewed Kim Myles, former HGTV Design Star winner and Los Angeles designer. Kim hosts Myles of Style on HGTV where she helps ordinary homeowners create spaces they love. Kim dished with us on her inspirations and the most memorable room she’s designed.

Which African-American designers influenced you?
Sheila Bridges stands out for me because of her deft use of strong colors and shapes, as well as her bold personal look.

What’s your favorite design style?
I don’t play favorites! I love mixing different styles and influences — it gives rooms a sense of history. It’s kind of like being at a dinner party: I want to be seated next to the guest who’s got varied interests and experiences to relate versus the person who only talks politics.

What’s the essential home accessory (or piece of furniture) you use in your designs?
Fresh flowers are key. They can be used to compliment or juxtapose any choice you make, and they bring a note of life and grace to the space.

What’s your favorite vacation spot?
It depends on my goal. Relaxation: an island (I can never get enough warm sand and cool water!). If I’m seeking inspiration, Amsterdam. It’s stunningly gorgeous, romantic and full of design eye candy.

Show us a picture of the room you most enjoyed designing and tell us why you love it.

I loved designing a Mexican-inspired living room for the Astorga family. Their story was so full of struggle, hope and inspiration, and they were some of the nicest people I’ve ever worked with. It’s a pleasure doing good things for good people, and I loved that I was able to give them something personal as well as beautiful.

design-happens-kim-myles-windows-couch600x400The Astorga family’s living room

design-happens-kim-myles-chairs-bar600x400

Catch Myles of Style Fridays at 4/3c for more of Kim Myles and her modern, personal style.

Designers & Shops

1. Sharon Battaglia says:

I love Kim!! When will there be more new shows? I love the way she creates fun objects out of nothing!

2. Jie says:

I like Kim's program!

3. Janet says:

I like Kim's designs they are always upbeat and full of interesting surprises. She has been an inspiration to me as a DIYer. We need to see much more of Kim.

4. Bonnie Campbell says:

I love you creativity and your visions as each project comes together its amazing!

5. mariela says:

i want kim's come to my house and help me to do my bedthroom>>>>>…….

6. Gloria says:

I love Kim's tastful designs and I would love for her to come to my home and help me design it…Please come to Maryland and help me!

Gloria

7. kat says:

i also want to see kim back. her show was great as she made everything look like it cost 10 times then it did. come to my house? how soon could she get here. espcially my son's room. it's only 9 by 9. hoping to see you soon kim. kat

8. Constance Lord says:

Kim, I love it. Not because I'm African-American, because I'm sensible like you!

9. Dee Pope says:

Kim was my favorite Design Star contestant from the first design she created to the last one. I use "throw-a-way" stuff for projects around the house and love to get ideas from her.

10. ann says:

great show/I hope she is back on soon.I followed her ,when she was in her competion. She deserved to win!!!