design-happens-kim-myles300x400In honor of Black History Month, we’re honoring some of today’s most inspiring African-American designers. This week we interviewed Kim Myles, former HGTV Design Star winner and Los Angeles designer. Kim hosts Myles of Style on HGTV where she helps ordinary homeowners create spaces they love. Kim dished with us on her inspirations and the most memorable room she’s designed.

Which African-American designers influenced you?
Sheila Bridges stands out for me because of her deft use of strong colors and shapes, as well as her bold personal look.

What’s your favorite design style?
I don’t play favorites! I love mixing different styles and influences — it gives rooms a sense of history. It’s kind of like being at a dinner party: I want to be seated next to the guest who’s got varied interests and experiences to relate versus the person who only talks politics.

What’s the essential home accessory (or piece of furniture) you use in your designs?
Fresh flowers are key. They can be used to compliment or juxtapose any choice you make, and they bring a note of life and grace to the space.

What’s your favorite vacation spot?
It depends on my goal. Relaxation: an island (I can never get enough warm sand and cool water!). If I’m seeking inspiration, Amsterdam. It’s stunningly gorgeous, romantic and full of design eye candy.

Show us a picture of the room you most enjoyed designing and tell us why you love it.

I loved designing a Mexican-inspired living room for the Astorga family. Their story was so full of struggle, hope and inspiration, and they were some of the nicest people I’ve ever worked with. It’s a pleasure doing good things for good people, and I loved that I was able to give them something personal as well as beautiful.

design-happens-kim-myles-windows-couch600x400The Astorga family’s living room

design-happens-kim-myles-chairs-bar600x400

Catch Myles of Style Fridays at 4/3c for more of Kim Myles and her modern, personal style.

Designers & Shops

1. Brenda K. says:

Kim I love your show. Please come to Miami Gardens Florida. Next month would be great we are having Jazz In The Gardens with Tom Joyner. Hope you can make it.

2. Vrina says:

Kim, I love your everfresh ideas. Although I love the gorgeous rooms many designers do, I would love to see a designer to occasionally step out of the box, i.e., and redo someones old 85 etc manufactured home to something new and exciting. Even poor folks appreciate beauty!

3. benno says:

I guess i must be the only 1 to be offended by the question posed to Kim.
    Imagine David Bromstad being asked,,,

"What gay, white, tattoo'd, pumped up, sassy American designers influenced you"?

Kim brings her own unique artistic and creative skill sets and NOT one is traced to Africa.
    Give it a break already. This is insulting. She is bigger than patronizing stereo-types.

4. simonne reinier says:

I love Kim Myles, her show is great and she works so great with her clients. Kim you can do my house any time,

5. Cora Sharp says:

I love Kim's real world sensibility in her designs. Limited budgets are the norm; she shows how taste and creativity can take a few dollars and make a room look like a million bucks. I hope to see more Myles of Style episodes soon! (Oh yeah, if you need a location near Atlanta I would love to volunteer my house!)

6. Bobette Peters says:

How do you furnish someone's else place. I rent and all the walls are white and it is boring

7. Marie says:

Ok color me dumb, but what other African American designers are out there? I haven't heard of any and Shelia Bridges is the first outside of Kim Myles…

8. Gloria8dragon says:

I would like to get some ideas for a Mexican Hacienda home. Kim can you post some in your HGTV.

9. slom_m says:

Kim, I have admired you since day one. I rooted and voted for you on Design Star. Your love and devotion to your family, grace under pressure with never an unkind word and your creative talent is the winning combonation that makes you a STAR! Keep it up. You are more than just an "African American designer" you are an example of an all around great woman. Congratulations!

10. Helen says:

Kim, I miss your shows so much. Is there any way of letting your fans know when you will begin new shows?