design-star-sheila-bridges175x175Let Sheila Bridges help you turn your design daydreams into reality. Named “America’s Best Interior Designer” by CNN and Time Magazine, she has designed offices for former presidents and been named one of House Beautiful‘s Top 100 designers. Sheila hosted four seasons of Sheila Bridges: Designer Living on our sister network, Fine Living, and continues to reach new audiences with her 2002 book, Furnishing Forward (also out in paperback). She has also designed fabric, bedding, wallpaper and plates featuring her Harlem Toile de Jouy pattern. Check out what Sheila had to say about her sought-after design.

What’s your favorite design style?
I love classic furnishings combined with modern art, as well as mixing antiques or old furniture with newer, more contemporary pieces.

What’s the essential home accessory (or piece of furniture) you use in your designs?
Side chairs and ottomans are my favorites because of the flexibility they offer a room.

What’s your favorite vacation spot?
I don’t have one specific vacation spot. I love to travel and try to visit at least one new place a year for inspiration! Morocco, Paris, Havana and Buenes Aires are some of my favorites.

Show us a picture of the room you most enjoyed designing and tell us why you love it.
I enjoyed decorating this room (which is the dining room in my guest cottage) because I got to play around with my Harlem Toile De Jouy wallpaper and these colorful Fornasetti chairs. I love mixing antique pieces with more contemporary things in the same space, even if it is small.

design-star-shiela-bridges-dining-room291x400Sheila’s Hudson Valley dining room

design-happens-bridges-toile-greenOne of Bridges’ Harlem Toile designs

Designers & Shops

1. barb says:

gives me the willies

2. Nicole in NY says:

I am SO HAPPY to have come across this article on Sheila Bridges' Harlem Toile designs! I have always loved toile and desired to use it for window treatments for both my bedroom and my daughter's bedroom. This is the first time I have ever seen toile depict Black people, and I think Ms. Bridges has done a wonderful job at creating a whimsical and wonderful toile pattern. I only wish that the bedding came in as many wonderfully delicious colors as the wallpaper (and in twin size, too).

3. Ann says:

Gives me the willies, as well. She must have something against her african american side.

4. Julie says:

Wonderful!

5. PEARL TYSON says:

I REALLY MISS YOUR SHOWS… PEARL

6. Thank you for posting this blog! I have never heard about this designer until now. She is an amazing designer and her strength with her Alopecia is very inspiring. I developed it about a year and a half ago and it has been a challenging battle.

7. Marie says:

Not a fan of this room the chairs look just UGH! ….I will definitely search for her other work though. Those chairs are awful! I like the wall paper

8. Dawn says:

the fabulous thing about design is that it is very personal. everyone doesn't like the same thing which is why there are so many wood/paint color/fabric/furniture choices. this room is very unique. I love the idea of the harlem toile. what a nice way to pay homage to Blacks.

9. ETHELENE STUBBS says:

DEAR SHELIA: I WOULD LOVE TO GET INTO DESIGN. HOW DO I GO ABOUT DOING THAT. IT HAS BEEN A LIFE TIME DREAM FOR ME. ETHELENE