Last year when I was pregnant with my second child Marlo and agonizing over the tiniest details of her nursery, I remember conducting random word searches on Flickr for inspiration and stumbling across this incredible arrangement of plates on a wall:

plates

CC image courtesy of shareski on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/shareski/2098598077/

That sounds a little menacing, doesn’t it? PLATES ON A WALL. Like you show up late to a meeting, your skirt accidentally tucked into your pantyhose, and you’re all SORRY! PLATES ON A WALL AGAIN!

That is going to be my excuse for everything now: The plates. On the wall.

I found that photograph and others like it so inspiring that I wanted to decorate one wall of the nursery with a delicate set of pink plates, an idea quickly squashed by my annoyingly logical husband. Breakable plates in an infant’s room? Did I really want to see my child bleed and possibly sever her carotid artery?

I guess there is a reason I keep him around.

So I opted for something much more infant-friendly, or so I thought. My first child Leta was such a sedentary kid and was never interested in outlets or dangerous cords. We never had to child-proof anything with her around because she was much more interested in deciphering letters and words. I mean, there we were at an amusement park waiting to ride a carousel when she turned to me and said, “Can we please go back to the hotel so that I can read my books?”

Is that not the cutest little geek ever?

I found a set of whimsical magnetic flower art that I installed in a dramatic flourish up and over the dresser in the nursery:

wall1

The dresser that I intended to use as the changing table, yes. You can probably see where this is going. Your jaw just hit the floor, I know. But you have to understand! If this had been Leta’s nursery she would have stared up at the wall, arms calmly at her side studying the intricate way the flowers seemed to burst forth from the wall! How mathematical!

But Marlo is no Leta. Marlo is very interested in touching and grabbing anything potentially fatal: glasses full of water, our phones, forks at the dinner table. How many times I have had to pry the remote control out of her fingers before she has swallowed it whole. Yummy, yummy channel changer!

And so this is what that section of the nursery looks like now:

wall2

Lesson learned: PLATES! ON THE WALL!

Design Inspiration

1. twisty says:

i have those flowers on my office wall – and i gotta tell you – (although my pattern is not nearly as cute as yours) i love that they are magnetic..i knock them off frequently….i think they are a PERFECT decoration for your nursery. Marlo cant injure herself and when she is older – you can just stick them right back up! :)

2. Amanda says:

haha! crap, now that song is stuck in my head…

3. annndscene says:

LOVE the dresser as a changing table idea! Am I in the dark? Do people have a bad reaction to that?

• nm73 says:

as a soon to be mother myself.. looking at baby furniture .. just about EVERYWHERE has the dresser doubling as the changing table

4. Christine says:

Plates. On the wall.
    Reminds me of
    Pants. On the ground.

5. Nat says:

I enjoyed the post.

6. Lisa E. says:

Heather said on her blog that she makes more than $40K/month from her website. To me, that's a LOT of money – enough to hire a decorator, if that's what she wanted. So when she puts in writing that the reason HGTV hired her is because she's just like "one of us" who can't afford a designer, I disagree. I also don't think running a business from home and hiring her husband as one of her 2 only paid employees, thus pouring business expense money right back into their own pockets, is big overhead. I stated my opinion in a forum that has been created by HGTV, so that their viewers and readers may STATE THEIR OPINIONS. As a devoted, long-time fan of HGTV, I want them to know that some of us think this is not a good match, and that Heather's input is far below their usual standards of content and staff. There is no secret forum where only the bad people who don't actually enjoy Heather's work are allowed to speak. All opinions go here, because HGTV wants to know what everyone thinks, not just the people who blindly worship a woman who hasn't said anything fresh, funny or worth reading in years.

7. jerry says:

lovely plate wall!!

8. Belinda says:

Well, she was a web designer. Why Design Sponge or Cote de Texas or a zillion other design writers didn't get this opportunity is beyond me.