Last year when I was pregnant with my second child Marlo and agonizing over the tiniest details of her nursery, I remember conducting random word searches on Flickr for inspiration and stumbling across this incredible arrangement of plates on a wall:

plates

CC image courtesy of shareski on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/shareski/2098598077/

That sounds a little menacing, doesn’t it? PLATES ON A WALL. Like you show up late to a meeting, your skirt accidentally tucked into your pantyhose, and you’re all SORRY! PLATES ON A WALL AGAIN!

That is going to be my excuse for everything now: The plates. On the wall.

I found that photograph and others like it so inspiring that I wanted to decorate one wall of the nursery with a delicate set of pink plates, an idea quickly squashed by my annoyingly logical husband. Breakable plates in an infant’s room? Did I really want to see my child bleed and possibly sever her carotid artery?

I guess there is a reason I keep him around.

So I opted for something much more infant-friendly, or so I thought. My first child Leta was such a sedentary kid and was never interested in outlets or dangerous cords. We never had to child-proof anything with her around because she was much more interested in deciphering letters and words. I mean, there we were at an amusement park waiting to ride a carousel when she turned to me and said, “Can we please go back to the hotel so that I can read my books?”

Is that not the cutest little geek ever?

I found a set of whimsical magnetic flower art that I installed in a dramatic flourish up and over the dresser in the nursery:

wall1

The dresser that I intended to use as the changing table, yes. You can probably see where this is going. Your jaw just hit the floor, I know. But you have to understand! If this had been Leta’s nursery she would have stared up at the wall, arms calmly at her side studying the intricate way the flowers seemed to burst forth from the wall! How mathematical!

But Marlo is no Leta. Marlo is very interested in touching and grabbing anything potentially fatal: glasses full of water, our phones, forks at the dinner table. How many times I have had to pry the remote control out of her fingers before she has swallowed it whole. Yummy, yummy channel changer!

And so this is what that section of the nursery looks like now:

wall2

Lesson learned: PLATES! ON THE WALL!

Design Inspiration

1. Michelle says:

Given that Heather pokes fun at herself in the title ("Practicality is not my strong point"), I think it's pretty obvious she's discussing the challenges of designing a room when you have small children. In other words, the limitations you face when decor must be functional, not just pretty.

I don't understand why people insist on following someone around the internet and disparaging them. Heather is trying something new – something she likes, has an interest in and will hopefully make her some money. If you don't give a rat's patoot for Heather or her writing style or opinion, then why the heck are you here? Do you just want to see her fail at something or begrudge her success? Because if you do, that's a pretty sad little life you've got going there.

2. Katie says:

Ahh yes. The diaper changing pad on the dresser. We have that. And we actually had a MIRROR hanging over the dresser. Boy #1 never really touched it. Boy #2 was intent on tearing it off the wall, and shattering it. It has now been replaced by a quilt.

Decorating with small children around is a challenge.

I do love those plates though…..

3. Megan says:

Amen Michelle. These people are more pathetic then Heather will ever be. GET A LIFE. Love you Heather.

4. kim o says:

LOVE the plates!

Just wait until you are forced into putting your furniture into awkward arrangements in order to cover outlets, decrease climbing temptations and avoid other hazards. I look forward to seeing how to creatively conquer those ;)

As for, sue, Kristen, Brooke…quite sure we have seen your annoying SINGLE crazy self before…Karma is a crazy thing…do us all a favor and just go away already. Freedom of speech is one thing, harassment is quite another. Shame on you.

• jumbo says:

Thanks Kim you just said what everyone is thinking…those others are just a bunch of peeps who have nothing better to do than be mean…

5. I am CONSTANTLY pulling the remote out of "mister stealth's" hands. Dude is S-L-Y.

For his changing table, I did an Ikea hack, and pretty much bolted everything down, with a mirror on top, and a BASKET OF TOYS! next to the table, so I can whip out one more NEW! toy! to distract him for the 53.8 seconds I've managed to whittle down diaper changings to…

6. jumbo says:

Hi I'm Sue and I can't spell…I just doing get it?????

7. Annie says:

I love the plates! And that "Pants on the Ground" song comes to mind when I read PLATES ON A WALL. Anyway, I hope the crazies disperse, too. Surely there must be something else to occupy your time, other than following someone around on the internet that you don't like? Let's hope.

8. ABDPBT says:

The plates remind me of the patio at the viceroy in Santa Monica. Kelly Wearstler was the designer, very cool looking. But I did always wonder how they got them on the wall without totally destroying them.

<a href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zRX5RDfH_vk/SmdXYi-U2PI/AAAAAAAACUg/knALNSc1Vw0/s400/viceroy+santa+monica+kwid.jpg&quot; target="_blank" rel="nofollow"&gt <a href="http://;http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zRX5RDfH_vk/SmdXYi-U2PI…” target=”_blank”>;http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zRX5RDfH_vk/SmdXYi-U2PI

9. Very cute and funny story! A picture is worth a thousand words… I could see the fixtures being pulled of now, lol!

10. TishaMarie says:

HGTV made a great choice bringing Heather into their mix. While I have occasionally watched, I wasn't even aware of the amount of online content they have to share. Now I am HOOKED!!!
    As for Heather's following of twisted bashers, (which is really only one person with no life what-so-ever), hopefully they will tire of this one day and let the rest of us enjoy what we love.