No need to spend your whole decorating budget on walls. Take a look at these inexpensive, wow-worthy wall treatments like this $20 eye-popping headboard made from scrapbook paper glued to the wall. It’s ideal for apartment or dorm dwellers, who are not allowed to paint and don’t want to bother with an actual headboard for the bed.

mosaic  paper headboard

I love this! It reminds me of a Rubik’s Cube! The bolder and brighter the colors, the better.

I’d never thought of using electrical cords as decor until I saw these ideas collected by Miss Decorate. My favorite  turns an ugly cable into a whimsical garden scene by adding paper leaves and a red paper bird. Ingenious!

For another $20 project, don’t miss these smart, no-sew fabric wall panels that turn insulation board and scrap fabric into art. (Scroll down; the top photo is the before photo.) A staple gun is the only tool you’ll need for this easy project. Just pull the fabric taut around the board and staple treating the corners like you’re wrapping a present.

Check out how Cheap Thrills Decor turns Robert Frost poetry into decor. (Third photo.) If you like this look, choose a lengthy favorite poem and fill the wall. If your handwriting is less than beautiful, use stencils or tracing paper.

Molding can transform a home, but it can be expensive. To cut the cost, make it from materials like foam and plastic instead of wood. Thrifty Decor Chick shares her molding know-how and project photos. Get inspired!

1. Will I Am says:

This is beautiful. I think whoever designed this must be very smart, and probably super hot.

2. Christina says:

sounds like you were the one to design it lol

3. Kelly@ColorSizzle says:

What an amazing idea! Great use of paper, too.

4. Sarah @ Thriftydecor says:

Thanks so much for the mention! I appreciate it!

5. [...] http://blog.hgtv.com/design/2010/03/26/budget-aka-brilliant-wall-decor/ Leave a Comment No Comments Yet so far Leave a comment RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI Leave a comment Click here to cancel reply. Line and paragraph breaks automatic, e-mail address never displayed, HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <pre> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong> [...]

6. Nicole says:

These ideas are great! I'm in the process of redecorating my apartment and just bought a bunch of amazing travel photos from Vicarious Eye and put them in some bright frames from Ikea. I'm going to attempt your fabric wall panel next! Thanks for the inspiration!

7. islandnancy says:

I am an island gardener and have composted for years with a open bottom, on the ground, compost bin. Unfortunately, my neighborhood has become overrun with rats. Willard the Rat moved into my yard and chewed a hole in the side of my plastic bin and moved in. Everytime I lifted the lid to deposit compost, he was there waiting. Everytime I saw him, I screamed bloody murder, annoying my neighbors. I started putting only yard waster, mostly grass clippings in it, but then Williard decided it would be a good, warm place to take up residency. This composter offered is off the ground and should be a bit more difficult for the dirty rat to take up residency.