Sadly, we won’t be doing Freebie Fridays this week. I’m sorry to disappoint everyone.

Gotcha! I may be a day late, but I couldn’t help myself! To make up for that lame trick, we’re giving you the chance to win an awesome freebie this week!

design-happens-freebies-modern-metalworks533x400

Model Metalworks is a husband-and-wife team with a passion for handmade pieces of art and for supporting traditional artisan communities. They work with 23 families who weave pine-needle baskets that represent their cultures.

Model Metalworks has partnered with us to give you the chance to win a handmade pine-needle tray with handles. For a chance to win, answer this week’s question before 12/11c, Monday, April 5. Be sure to provide a valid email address so we can contact you if you win.

This week we want to know: How do you support your local community when it comes to design? Do you refuse to shop at chain furniture stores and visit smaller, local showrooms instead? Do you support the artists and designers in your town? You have until 12/11c on Monday to answer. Click for official rules.

Freebies

1. Prairie Sunshine says:

I live on the prairies of South Dakota in a small community. I am an artist at heart and so I like to support those types of people who also like to create. I have bought several items from local talented people like pieces of jewelry, baskets, paintings, photography, quit pieces and even a handmade coyote caller for my husband.

2. Patricia Spellman says:

I have a wonderful opportunity here in Albuquerque, NM to support local artisans from many cultures. We have the Rio Grande Arts and Crafts festival here about four times per year, I am able to visit Native American Pueblos and Reservations for purchasing authentic handmade items such as jewelry, pottery, handwoven rugs, baskets, etc. I love to shop at Morningside Antiques here in Albuquerque in order to furnish my home with eclectic pieces that provide interest and a sense of history, I am able to go to art sales at the University of New Mexico and buy drawings and art pieces that have been made by students there, I enjoy shopping in Old Town for jewelry or at many shops here in town that are locally owned. All this, and I'm only an hour from Santa Fe, one of the largest populations of artists in the country. I'm am truly fortunate.

3. Richard Langley says:

I live in WASH.D.C. area, i love to shop Georgetown shops. Also enjoy shopping in old town alexandria VA. Also like to shop antique stores in VA. and also MD. I support all local artist; we have many to choose from.Great place to live;

4. Laura Stewart says:

I definitely support artists!~

5. Lisa Bucklin says:

I love the Farmer's Market. There are lots of good deals and it's all local!

6. prisi says:

We have various art fests and street markets where local artist can showcase there work. It's a great way to find cool new stuff.

7. MattieRose says:

I live in the heart of Old Town, Fort Collins, CO. We support our local artists intwo ways: 1) by featuring their work in our own renovated 1892 blacksmith's shop, turned residence; and 2) attending all the local arts and crafts shows and fairs that are held throughout the year practically right outside our front door. Our home is full of original works of art created by local artists and artisans.

8. Mary says:

We always support the local community when ever possible from the farmers market, local art shows, antique shops to restaurants as the service and the product seem to be much better than from the big chain stores.

9. Jenna says:

I have local artwork and have purchased a lot of our furniture from the local consignment store.

10. Laura says:

Several towns I've lived in and visited have had artists cooperative shops–they've been great places to pick up something with local flavor, and a source of surprisingly affordable gifts–paintings, prints, jewelry, and pottery

• Select paint colors like a pro with these simple tips.

• This HGTV fan has been very busy this summer!

• 5 Outdoor Ideas for Galvanized Metal Wash Tubs