Sadly, we won’t be doing Freebie Fridays this week. I’m sorry to disappoint everyone.

Gotcha! I may be a day late, but I couldn’t help myself! To make up for that lame trick, we’re giving you the chance to win an awesome freebie this week!

design-happens-freebies-modern-metalworks533x400

Model Metalworks is a husband-and-wife team with a passion for handmade pieces of art and for supporting traditional artisan communities. They work with 23 families who weave pine-needle baskets that represent their cultures.

Model Metalworks has partnered with us to give you the chance to win a handmade pine-needle tray with handles. For a chance to win, answer this week’s question before 12/11c, Monday, April 5. Be sure to provide a valid email address so we can contact you if you win.

This week we want to know: How do you support your local community when it comes to design? Do you refuse to shop at chain furniture stores and visit smaller, local showrooms instead? Do you support the artists and designers in your town? You have until 12/11c on Monday to answer. Click for official rules.

Freebies

1. Carol says:

I find it easiest to support local artist talent by attending and shopping at local fairs across Long Island. It is so much fun to browse and shop on sunny afternoons in parks enjoying both visual arts and musical arts!

2. Michele Bumstead says:

I live in a very small town, but we do have 1 little antique store that I just love. Our town is so small in fact, that if you arrive at the shop to find it closed, you can just call the owner and she'll come right over! I have my eye on a couple of old wooden chairs she has on her front walk, even as we speak!

3. jw1864 says:

i like to try locally, more unique selections. i do the chain stores also if i can't find what i want

4. I really enjoy what my Dad has taught me through life, to be thrifty. I love going to thrift stores, finding something old, and making it my own. I actually enjoy things better when I "custom-make" them, whether it be refinishing a table, chair, or just painting something another color. Also, if you mess up, you didn't spend your whole paycheck on something new. More people should do that!!

5. Melanie Baggett says:

I usually visit yard sales, the flea market, or Goodwill Industries when shopping for something "new" to me. Goodwill, especially, supports the local community by training mentally and physically challenged individuals the skills they need to be independent. When I support Goodwill, I support my community in a very direct way.

6. @lshillings says:

I'm a designer by nature and gift- I create venue posters for our local theater, I'm a graphic artist at the biggest (and best!) local newspaper, I hand craft jewelry and accessories and sell it at a local artisan run craft shop. I do Pro-bono graphic work for start up businesses so they my become more profitable and become a viable part of our small community.

7. cruzan19 says:

We recently bought a home, and are trying hard to buy from local craftsmen. We thought we were waivering when we bought a couch from Swedish Designs, but learned the manufacturers were from a small company in Indiana, hard hit by the economy! I also just discovered a local hardware company down the street that has been around since the '50s. We are using them instead of Home Depot now.

8. Erin says:

We always support local artists and our community whether it be furniture, artwork, photography, theater, food, clothes. Local is the best and Maine has a lot to offer!!

9. Shauna says:

I prefer to shop at small, locally owned stores first. You always seem to find unique items that all of your friends have. I

10. Darlene says:

I shop in our town, keeping it on the island. I love to go into the thrift stores we have to see what I can find. I love refinishing old items. We have local artist on the island that are wonderful, I love when they desplay thier work in the arts & craft shows we have here. Its really great to live in a small community for great ideas on degisn and to find some great & unusual things.

• Accessories in this master bedroom are kept to a minimum to

• Shades of purple are echoed throughout this formal living

• As seen on HGTV's "My Big Family Renovation"

• As seen on HGTV's "My Big Family Renovation"