Sadly, we won’t be doing Freebie Fridays this week. I’m sorry to disappoint everyone.

Gotcha! I may be a day late, but I couldn’t help myself! To make up for that lame trick, we’re giving you the chance to win an awesome freebie this week!

design-happens-freebies-modern-metalworks533x400

Model Metalworks is a husband-and-wife team with a passion for handmade pieces of art and for supporting traditional artisan communities. They work with 23 families who weave pine-needle baskets that represent their cultures.

Model Metalworks has partnered with us to give you the chance to win a handmade pine-needle tray with handles. For a chance to win, answer this week’s question before 12/11c, Monday, April 5. Be sure to provide a valid email address so we can contact you if you win.

This week we want to know: How do you support your local community when it comes to design? Do you refuse to shop at chain furniture stores and visit smaller, local showrooms instead? Do you support the artists and designers in your town? You have until 12/11c on Monday to answer. Click for official rules.

Freebies

1. Kaci McDill says:

Summertime is my favorite time to shop because fairs and festivals are going on. You can get some really unique items from local vendors! We also shop at the local Farmer's Market down the street from our house for food and flowers. Happy Easter!!

2. Lorrie says:

In our Cub Scout Pack we have tried to cultivate design/creativity through one project we call litter to glitter. The scouts use recycled materials to create something useful or artistic. Everyone gets the same 'Genius Kit' full of identical recycled items. It's amazing to see what they come up with.

This year we are doing this activity as teams!

3. Deborah says:

I shop at small store… they need the business more than the big box stores.

4. I love to support local artists by shopping our local community art centers for one of a kind pieces that you will never find anywhere else. You can find everything from handmade functional pottery for the home to beautiful jewelry and yard art. Everytime you go back there is something new and exciting!

5. Rebecca says:

By saving pieces of furniture, home decor, etc that are left by the curb for our waste management people to take and fill our dump needlessly. I've saved many many beautiful pieces from going to the dump by incorporating some elbow grease. I've furnished my home with art from alumni sales (like Seattle we have a fantastic arts community in Providence and with RISD here – need I say more!), art festivals, secondhand stores and the curb. I also try to shop in my own city and design OUTSIDE THE BOX store where creativity can be spoon fed. My son loves when we can reclaim something and transform it. He's helped and he's learning that it is great for our environment too. He's also learning about what "floats his boat" artistically and that translates to another me in the future!

6. Kathi says:

In the summer I like to go to the art fair held down town. Unfortunately our area doesn't have individual artists shops. It would be nice if something like the antique mall would open with artist all under one roof.

7. Megan says:

We thankfully have a large artist base here in Orlando. Lots of Framers Markets to buy produce and handmade products. We have tons of small businesses that sell local artists furniture and design pieces. My fiancée' and I are also part of the local art scene – he makes wood pens, bowls, vases and kaleidoscopes and I make jewelry and crocheted items to sell at art shows. The agriculture business here in central FL is also pretty strong. We'd rather buy landscaping products from small nurseries instead of big chain stores because we feel they are better quality and help keep small farms alive.

8. CAROL MOODY says:

I ALWAYS SHOP LOCAL AREA STORES & LOVE TO PURCHASE CRAFTS MADE BY UTAH ARTIST'S…IT MAKES ME PROUD TO LIVE IN A STATE WHERE THERE ARE CRAFT STORES EVERYWHERE..WE ARE BIG ON SCRAPBOOKING ! SEVERAL BIG COMPANIES "LIVE HERE" …WE RECYCLE & REUSE TOO !!!

9. Tracey says:

I love going to a place in Estacada called the Wade house, there is also a wonderful place down town
    for local artist to show their work.

10. Dana Godfrey says:

In my community, we have local jewelry dealers . I love going in these stores to learn new tricks. It is important to support these stores to keep them here so that we can have a one on one friendship. We also love the Hospice and Resale shops, everyone volunteers to help these special groups out.

• Want it Wednesday: Decorations and Products for Halloween

• Eclectic bird cages are grouped together to create a fun

• A sitting area comprised of blue and white furniture holds

• Organization: DIY Children’s Clothing Rack