In March, Scripps Networks Interactive, our parent company, opened a new LEED-registered building at our headquarters in Knoxville, Tenn. I love our sunlight-bathed, eco-friendly, beautiful digs featuring wall-sized windows, an open floor plan, brightly-colored, ergonomic furniture, and natural materials like bamboo and cork. One of my favorite features is the plant-covered living wall in the lobby.

newbuilding_living-wall-CROP450

You can make your own living wall like this one from Green Your Decor using recycled aluminum cans.

outdoor-decorating-living-wall

Photo by Magda Wojtyra

Drill a drainage hole in the bottom of the can, paint with low VOC paint, fill and install.

Decrease the DIY factor (but increase your cost) and purchase an all-in-one unit with a cedar holder and watering system.

Get more ideas, technical know-how and step-by-step instructions for living walls on DIY Green Walls.

Feast your eyes on this amazing plant wall growing on the side of the PNC Bank building in Pittsburgh. The largest in North America, it requires only 15 minutes of watering per week in warmer months.

For more green goodness (a whole houseful, in fact) tour HGTV Green Home 2010.

1. Great ideas…only concern is to make sure to use aluminum or plastic…they won't rust. If you use a metal container (non-aluminum), it will make a mess of the that beautiful brick wall! :)

2. Mers says:

We're doing the preliminary planning for adding a second story to our bungalow and one of the things on my wish list is definitely a living wall. :) There are a couple of low cost options for smaller sized indoor walls on the market which I'm keeping my eye on, but I'll also have a closer look at the DIY blog that you linked to.

3. judi farmer says:

can you direct me to get help on my home it falling apart my children or really anyone cant visit old home dont have finces to fix gone in all directions my husband and i so lonley mabey you can lead me right direction judi

4. Lushe says:

What vertical garden module was used in the first photo?

Lushe
    <a href="http://www.lushe.com.au” target=”_blank”>www.lushe.com.au

5. MileySmith22 says:

Wow!! What an idea for gardening wall. I loved this wall please tell me what should I do to make wall same as you. I want to do like you.
    Houston personal injury

6. Our Everyday Earth says:

Wow! I love the recycled aluminum can planters, those are really cool! :)
    We have a living wall with a small leaf climber and it is just starting to get established, thanks for the great article.

We just wrote a post about green decorating too; http://www.oureverydayearth.com/2010/10/16/green-

7. Magda Wojtyra says:

You are using my photograph of blue painted cans without permission or attribution. I have writted about this to your website, and here in the comments before. Please either credti the photo or remove from your website.

Magda Wojtyra http://www.flickr.com/photos/happy_sleepy/8274592

8. jan says:

i got canvas shoes bags last season (walmart)……filled with impatients…put them up all over my yard
    …they were gorgeous…

9. Remarkable! Its truly awesome paragraph, I have got much clear idea concerning from this article.

my blog :: internet marketing

10. It’s amazing for me to have a website, which is useful designed for my knowledge.
    thanks admin