Tax Day, the day we all love to gripe about. The NY Times reported 47 percent of Americans owed no income tax for 2009.

I’m in the 53 percent who did write a check to the IRS on April 15. I won’t gripe. Taxes pay for civilization. If you want to see what a country looks like where no one pays taxes, go to Somalia. I’ll take interstate highways and public schools for all, thank you. I can dream about what goodies I would have bought with a tax refund, though.

1. At the top of my wish list is a Manhattan Leather Club Chair from Pottery Barn. In Berry Red. I know, I know, PB isn’t wildly cutting edge and this chair has been around for a decade, but I adore it. I’ve coveted it in PB catalogs for years, from the days when it was only available in Cognac and Black. It’s voluptuous and lusciously Art Deco. I could lay sideways in it and read a book. My dogs could jump on it and not harm that supple, full-grain leather. Maybe I should cave and order one right now. Fiscal prudence be damned.

PB's Manhattan Club Chair was inspired by vintage 1930s chairs found in a Paris flea market.

2. Beneath my Berry Red chair: A Liza Phillips rug, in a green Ballcourt design. No kids toting cups of fruit juice will be allowed within 30 yards of it.

3. I’d trade in my 12-year-old TV for a 42-inch HD flat. Large, but not vulgar, because your TV should never be larger than your sofa.

4. For the HD flat, I’d get this handmade Lo-Do Media Unit from New Mexico furniture designer Damian Velasquez.

Albuquerque furniture maker Damian Velasquez makes gorgeous contemporary pieces.

Photo from DamianVelasquez.com

5. This floor lamp from the Deco collection at Rejuvenation.com would finish off my fantasy furniture collection perfectly.

I just spent $8,500 of tax refund I didn’t get. Maybe I can get Social Security numbers for my dogs and declare them as dependents, wrangling a tax refund next year. Or I could become the nonprofit Church of Manhattan Leather Club Chair Lust and pay no taxes at all.  Hope Pottery Barn doesn’t phase out those red Manhattan Club chairs between now and when I finally stop dreaming and buy one.

Design Inspiration

1. Anonymous says:

I think your comment about Somalia is extremely insensitive to the suffering the people down there have to go through, not to mention extremely RACIST!

2. C&E says:

Funny you should ask this question, because I just got a catalog in the mail yesterday with two pieces of furniture I absolutely covet. One is a bedroom dresser from Mikita Furniture — Amish-built of poplar with brightly painted accents of willow saplings. A mere $1500 will get me this beauty! Then there is the Dakota sectional sofa, oversized in buttery-soft, broken-in leather in a cognac color, with nailhead trim and antiqued pine frame. Let's see, if I get one corner unit, two chair-arm units, and two armless chair units, plus an ottoman or two — yikes! I don't think a tax refund will come close to covering this cost! Oh well, even if I could never in a million years afford these things, I can still dream, can't I?

3. Charming's Mama says:

I spent it on plane tickets so grandma could see the kids.

4. DJD says:

Gorgeous chair! It would look wonderful in my living room <a href="http://www.thejerseyshort.com” target=”_blank”>www.thejerseyshort.com

5. JAR says:

IF i got a refund I would send it all to Candice Olsonif she would just TELL me what do in my family room! ;)

6. LKH says:

I am entitled to the 8 grand as a new home buyer but the IRS has decided they don't know whether they will give it to me or not even though I had all the documentation ., am retired and owed no taxes so how bogus is that? I filed first of March and they waited till Mid APril to inform me that they haven't decided yet!

7. TMF says:

If I got a refund I'd ask one of the designers to help solve the problem of my V-shaped pantry that you can't get into easily and in which foods get lost easily until you clean it out and find out they are too old and have to throw them out.

8. Dawn says:

If I get the refund I'm SUPPOSED to get, I'll finish redecorating the small (350-375 sq ft) guest house I live in. I just bought a mirrored side table & now I'm waiting to get 2 slipper chairs to go on either side!! I'll need just a few more knick knacks & I'll be finished. Now I'll just have to wait until the end of May to see if my dreams will come through, or if the IRS will find a way to snatch my money away from me!!

9. I am haviing a landscaper reseed and fertizile my lawn and fix my garden beds.
    This yard has gone to pot.

10. Lorraine says:

Hi, About the Tax refund, would of bought a new car, or vacation somewhere , or get a home . With a back yard to let my big tom cat Roam, have to have a fence Guys, Ha, to keep him in there, and alot of Flowers, I would be growing around it , to really make it look nice. thanks