Recently the drawer that I use to store my cosmetics has become an unmanageable mess with bottles of lotion and hair product thrown haphazardly here and there because my daughter is late for school. And putting things back in their proper place is just so much work. No, it really is. Because I’ve just spent the last half hour repeatedly screaming, “YOUR SOCKS GO ON YOUR FEET.” Or telling my husband over and over again that the baby is in the fireplace.

And then I inevitably forget to throw away things that should be thrown away. Or more accurately, I get down to the last three drops of lotion, think I’ll eventually use those three drops, and then leave that empty bottle sitting at the bottom of the drawer for the next three years. Multiply this by about a thousand, and THIS IS MY LIFE.

bath2

I got the spring cleaning itch the other day, maybe because out of the ten bottles of lotion in my drawer I couldn’t find a single one that hadn’t dried up. Civilized people shouldn’t live this way. I mean, there are entire shows dedicated to people holding interventions for people like me. Why has my family not stepped in?

The accents in this bathroom are mostly dark orange like this:

bath1

So I found a fabric that would match the rest of the decor in the room, a heavy cotton with a small, dark orange coral print (for a total steal! $8.99 a yard!):

bath3

And then I measured and cut a piece to fit on the bottom of the drawer. Instead of gluing it or nailing it in place I used double-sided tape to hold it in place. This way, if the fabric gets dirty or I get tired of it I can change it out easily. Because if my family is not going to step in, then I have to do all the thinking.

bath4

Then the hard part: throwing things out. I had to really ask myself, Heather, have you even SEEN this nail polish since you moved into this house. No? GONE. This process alone cleared out half of the mess. What was left I gathered into groups, some free-standing, others arranged in small, clear containers. And now there is a designated place for everything. And now every time I open this drawer I get a huge smile on my face. It’s just, pretty.

bath5

You guys! I found a headband I totally forgot I had! WHO KNOWS what I’m going to find in those other drawers.

bath6

HGTV and Heather Armstrong (@HGTVHeather) invite you to our next “Watch with Heather” Twitter Party! We’ll be tweeting this Saturday during Battle On the Block. Join us at #watchHGTV from 10-11pm EDT for all the fun.

To make comments and/or replies, please follow @HGTVHeather and include #watchHGTV in your tweet

Design Inspiration

1. Justine says:

i cannot believe people are a) getting paid to write about re-organizing their bathroom drawers and re-lining it with wasted fabric, b) have the time and interest to read about re-organizing their bathroom drawers and re-lining it with wasted fabric, and c) are self-absorbed enough to take the extra time to respond to a post such as this when that time could be spent RE-ORGANIZING your own stupid drawers, purchasing less items that are probably toxic to your skin, your children and our environment and GET OUTSIDE MEET YOUR NEIGHBOURS, BREATH THE STILL CLEAN AIR, MAKE COOKIES WITH YOUR KIDS AND EAT HEALTHY TO PROTECT YOUR SKIN.
    sheesh people. get real.

• Larkspur says:

Justine, please. Step away from the keyboard. Go outside, meet your neighbors, et cetera, blah blah blah. Honey, you will feel so much better. So will I.

• pennygirl says:

Agreed. I am organizing two houses to move into a third and gee! I never knew I could have made an HGTV blog out of ALL THIS ORGANIZING. (I normally don't write in all caps but just thought I'd make a point since this is Heather's motif.)

• grublet says:

and yet you ticked boxes b) AND c) when that time could have been spent getting some meds.

• AMB says:

Um, hello? Isn't this what you just did?!

2. jennie says:

just wanted to point out that justine's snarky comment complaining about people taking the time to read about reorganizing is the longest comment so far. so who is wasting their time? instead of pointing out other peoples' "faults" go do something positive. Good job looking like a cranky jerk.

i just moved into a new house and can't wait to try this or something similar out!

• pennygirl says:

Along the lines of "everyone who disagrees with Heather is JEALOUS" when really, who the F cares about reading about reorganizing of drawers?! I really look to the web for such advice. HGTV Fail…

3. Janie says:

LMAO, Pennygirl. So why'd you READ it?

And Justine…well, I guess it's not necessary to comment on the ironic stupidity of someone commenting on what other people should or shouldn't be doing when they have just DONE it themselves!

4. Christy says:

She's getting paid for the stuff she writes on here, we don't. Who's the smart one now?
    I like little ideas and tricks. Keep them coming Heather! xo

• whatever says:

Since when is cleaning out a drawer and lining it with something (who cares what) a new little idea or trick?! I'm pretty sure people have been doing that since drawers were invented. This was pointless and rather useless.

5. DodiM says:

The clear contact paper is an excellent addition to this idea – now it all makes sense!

6. Kelly says:

I love the idea of using double-sided tape! This is great for me, because I always seem to have a bottle of lotion spontaneously combust in my drawer. I also wanted to say, I have the same green and leaf printed makeup bag for Bath and Body! I love how roomy it is!

7. Bobbi says:

Your "before" drawer looks pretty much like my "after "drawer. Were are the ramdon q-tips, , the broken eye pencils, the 14 bottles of hotel shampoo, the half used bar of soap, 37 hair ties, 3 broken necklaces, 8 single ear rings, a nail file from 1987, and my all time favorite the the odd cotton ball with hair stuck to it! I think you are pretty lucky if your "before" drawer looked like it does in the picture. Clearly I need help!

8. Amanda says:

Inspired!

9. Megan says:

I have to ask: where is that green pouch with the leaves from? LOVE IT!

10. Lani says:

Looks nice!

Also? Glad to see that someone else under the age of fifty uses Pond's Cold Cream; I'm twenty-two and feel like I'm bertraying my young counterparts whenever I run out and have to buy more (which is often, I use hooker-amounts of mascara.)