Via Ready, Set, Craft!

Via Ready, Set, Craft!

Happy May Day! In many parts of the world, the first day of May is a holiday with great significance, ancient origins and diverse rituals. Put your own spin on May Day with these fun and simple ideas.

Louisa May Alcott wrote about the anonymous giving of goodie-filled baskets, a May Day custom that is hundreds of years old. Surprise someone today with flowers or sweet treats delivered in a handmade container. Joanne from Ready, Set, Craft! shares how to make a basket using two sheets of paper. I can’t wait to try this.

Be true to a French custom and give friends sprigs of lily of the valley as King Charles IX was said to do for ladies in his court. Or for a gift that lasts longer than a few days, check out these fabulous fabric flowers.

Create handmade May cones like these perfect for hanging on a doorknob. Scroll down to see a maypole-inspired cake, easy enough to prepare today for dessert tonight.

Another lovely paper creation — a card stock cone filled with garden roses.

Gathering with friends today? Construct a maypole in the backyard and learn how to do the dance that culminates with a woven pattern down the pole.

Or look to ETSY sellers bdollco and lampshadestudio for beautiful ways to decorate with ribbon.

In traditional English celebrations, May Day was a day to celebrate fertile ground. Farmers completed seeding by May 1 and often took the day off. If you still have planting to do and you decide to start from seed, get tips from HGTV.com’s gardening expert. And don’t throw away empty seed packets. Use them to make charming storage jars for future plantings.

Design Inspiration

1. CraftsbyAmanda.com says:

What an amazing array of links, thank you! I LOVE those vanilla fabric flowers, WOW

2. @CutePole says:

My grandma told me when I was little that the first day of may is the first day in the year when I can sit down on the grass without fear of catching a cold. She is so right! In Romania, the 1st of May is a BBQ frenzy :D

3. annie 21 says:

Thank You, for letting me know this since my Mother was born in Paris, France! I love the idea of lillies in a basket. Just yesterday my 8yr old daughter said she wished she had known her Grandmother! I had mentioned that her favorite perfume was lilly of the valley. Then showed her a beautiful Needlework of Fox Hill Farm framed with a 1st place blue ribbon in it by Charles Wysocki. It was the first needlework my mom had entered in the fair. She couldn't believe she Won! We were all So Happy for Her! :) My 8yr old daughter looked at all the tiny details then said," She must have had lots of Patience!" I said,"Yes she sure did!" :)

• LeslieJudson says:

Oh, Annie. You just gave me goosebumps! What a precious exchange between you and your daughter! Grandmothers are so special, aren't they? It's wonderful that your daughter can get a sense of who your mother was by the stories you share and the beautiful creations she made. And who knows? She may just take after her and create her own one day. And if she does, you tell her Leslie said she must must must upload pictures to HGTV.com and share on Rate My Space. :-D People share all kinds of goodies they've made and rooms that they've decorated.

*Thanks for sharing your story., Annie. Now you've got me wondering about lily of the valley scent. :)

4. MileySmith22 says:

Thank you very much for letting me know that May has important for farmer. I like peas Carrots, Peas is Easy to grow and I think Peace is one of the first vegetables which I can plant.
    Houston personal injury

5. MileySmith22 says:

Houston personal injury

6. MileySmith22 says:

Houston personal injury

• LeslieJudson says:

The best dates to plant certain veggies depends on where you are and your climate, etc. Our gardening section has many, many good tips for gardening all kinds of goodies. So you may want to do some digging :) and check out the next to last link in my post. A good place to start.