I know that by putting this out into the Universe that it may just come right back around and bite me, but I think it’s finally Spring in Utah (holding breath, waiting for a rock to fall out of the sky and hit me in the head). It’s still unseasonably cold, but I will take whatever I can get, especially since the blooms all over town are under the same impression that I am: time to move forward, put the snow boots in storage, and party like it’s thirty degrees warmer.

flowers8

Spring in Utah is one of the top reasons we remain here. It has the potential to be some of the most glorious weeks of the year especially in terms of flowering trees and bushes. I’m sure it’s just as glorious elsewhere, but the contrast between the horrifying winter and the majestic way color bursts into the landscape is so drastic, so gratifying, that you simply can’t ignore it. And I think I did ignore it when I lived elsewhere. I have Utah to thank for opening my eyes to so much beauty.

flowers1

flowers2

flowers6

flowers7

flowers9

I lived in Los Angeles for five years, and while I know the greenery there is so much more lush and abundant than it is here, I never really took the time to appreciate a tree or yard in bloom. The seasons there are just too similar. Also, people there are abnormally attractive, so let’s say there were other distractions.

flowers10

flowers3

flowers4

Since coming back to Utah, I’ve been inspired more by this season than ever, in the way I design websites, in the way I add small touches of style to a room, and mostly when I’m looking for a great fabric. I’m always browsing pictures of flowers when I first sit down to start a project. There are so many takes now on the floral print, and even though I’m thoroughly modern in my heart, I’m still drawn to the traditional, the casual, to the simple and the ornate. For me, the design of a room now starts with a bloom and grows from there.

fabric

Design Inspiration

1. Tracy says:

Yes, fabric sources please!

2. Laurie says:

Beautiful pics, Thanks Heather. I'm curious about the lack of source on the prints though, I'm especially interested in the blue swatch at the bottom right. Am I missing it somewhere?

3. Anna says:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how exactly do you tie the prints into your design? Are they accents like throw pillows? I am thinking about using fabric as framed artwork and was wondering if you'd ever tried something like that.

4. Anna says:

5. Anna says:

6. Charming's Mama says:

I love spring in utah also, lovely pictures.

7. Charming's Mama says:

I love spring in utah also, lovely pictures.

8. [...] Heather Armstrong as part of a promotional blog tour celebrating her recent association with HGTV. I was the only male. So if anyone was going to get Heather’s perspective on the rapidly growing [...]

9. MileySmith22 says:

Fall is definitely my favorite season but I never knew the details behind the color changes. Great post!! I love the changing leaves. There are numerous fall and harvest festivals where I live.

Houston personal injury

10. Stevie says:

I live in Seattle so I completely understand your feelings toward the season change. It's a bit more mild here, but we get so much rain and gray, so when the sun starts shining and the blossoms start coming out, we all go INSANE in these parts.

I've always been attracted to floral prints. I constantly obsess over Art Nouveau prints, as well as vintage horticulture prints. They're really easy to find at flea markets and garage sales! And I love how they can work with any room, depending how they're framed.