Last night I experienced Cirque Du Soleil for the first time when Alegría came to a venue here in Salt Lake City. I’d been told to expect the unreal, the unbelievable, the mind-blowing. But what they didn’t tell me was that I would come away from this…this…adventure having been transformed. My minimal aesthetic just got a huge kick in the butt.

circus4

The acrobatics, of course, were the star of the show, but the heart of it for me? The color, the costumes, the elegance of every line and detail. Alegría means “jubilation” in Spanish, and the core message of the show is about the pricelessness of youth and the inevitable passing of time.

circus2

Perhaps I’m a sentimental schmuck, but I felt like a wonder-filled six-year-old the entire time. The show transported me to those carefree moments in my youth when bills and taxes and the mortgage weren’t eating my brain.

circus1

I laughed hysterically. I gasped. I covered my face. I stood up on my feet and clapped maniacally.

circus3

In the past few years my style has moved quite far into themes more modern, more streamlined. We live in a mid-century home, and I’ve honored that style with the furniture and patterns in each room, meaning that bright spots of color and crazy textures are rare. After seeing this show, however, I can’t stop thinking about mixing it up a bit. Maybe going wild. Like, flying to Paris and clearing out an entire flea market.

circus5

I was so inspired, in fact, that I put together a mood board for a bedroom that would envelop and dazzle me like that show did last night, with furniture and accessories that have the color and texture of the blue-feathered nymphs. Not a circus-themed room, no. Something whimsical and reminiscent of the playfulness of youth, something vibrant, something unrestrained. Something totally not me.

moodboard

Design Inspiration

1. racher says:

This is the third time TODAY that I've come across that bedding from Anthropologie in my internet surfing. A sign from the universe, perhaps? Also, how great are mustard yellow and royal blue together? Love. Have wanted to see Cirque du Soleil for some time – this has ramped up my interest for sure.

2. Jeanne says:

It is an amazing show, I loved it and would pay again to see it over an over again, so beautiful and colorful, beyond amazing!

3. Debbie says:

I've seen 4 cirques and Alegria and Saltimbaco (sp?) are my favorites. The CDs are fantastic!

4. Alegria is the very first Cirque I went to, in my early 20's, it remains my favorite of them all. Quidam being a close second. I love the inspiration that it brought you. We are in the process of converting a nursery into a den/media room. I think these vibrant colors would look great in the small space we have to work with. My husband already wants that blue chair.

5. lynn says:

I have LOVED Cirque for the past 11 years; they are made of awesome! My favorite was Dralion. Also, I'm surprised you were allowed to photograph as that is usually a no-no.

6. dayna says:

I love bright colors in my daughters' rooms. I want that blue chair.

7. nothankyou says:

Carnie Folk. *Shudder*

8. TOTALLY understand- first time I saw Cirque, I think I grinned for a solid hour afterwards, and talked about it for days. It's gorgeous!

9. Josie says:

The first time I saw Cirque I could not stop crying – too much joy and wonder – couldn't believe my eyes! I am thrilled that you felt some of that same child-like delight Heather.

10. Tonja Morris says:

Like Cirque the Mood board is playful yet classy!