• Tell Your Friends

So, I’ve been saving my mold story for a day when my stomach can handle it. Because really, is there anything more unnerving than a mold-infested, 1,200 sq ft basement?

design_for_mankind 2010-06-22 at 12.52.00 PM

It's like a scene from a horror movie, yes? (And I'm not talking that hideous wallpaper...)


And to reward you all for coming along for the bumpy, spore-ridden ride, Husband and I have a special video treat for you at the end of this post. That’s right; we’re sharing our inspiration board in hopes that you’ll enjoy a sneak peek of what’s to come in our humble little home. (If we ever get there!)

First things first. Mold is dangerous, and this is the one area that I don’t always recommend a DIY technique. Because Husband and I had dealt with mold on a small scale, we felt confident in handling our abandoned basement. However, if you’re either (a) impatient or (b) prone to cutting corners, this is not the job for you.

We're shaking in our Hazmat boots.

We're shaking in our Hazmat boots.

If you’re up for the task? Read on, friends, as we’ve got quite the to-do list for you!

1. Do your research. There are billions (maybe a slight exaggeration) of types of mold that require entirely different treatments. In our basement, black mold was pretty prevalent, which was an easy (another slight exaggeration) fix for us. There are, however, a few mold scenarios that I would never recommend tackling yourself. Get the facts about mold at CDC and EPA before embarking on a potentially life-threatening project.

2. Get the look. Outfitting yourself for mold clean-up is key, and this is not an area where I would skimp in an effort to save money. Mold remediation can be expensive, but without the right tools, you’re in for a dangerous situation. Here’s what we used in our basement (and what I’d recommend you use, as well):

design_for_mankind 2010-06-22 at 12.27.18 PM

Behold, your mold remediation wardrobe!

  • A full mold remediation mask (we used this one and loved it!).
  • A full body Tyvek suit/coverall (these are cheap enough that I’d invest in a few, as they’ll tear).
  • Rubber gloves (these are a great option when working with chemicals).
  • Duct tape (Husband and I used duct tape to seal the suit to our gloves, keeping air out).
No, you're not looking at some fancy abstract wall border...

No, you're not looking at some fancy abstract wall border...

3. Stop the source. I know you’re dressed to kill at this point, but take the time to stop the source before removing any existing mold. Whether your home has suffered a broken pipe or malfunctioning sump pump, fix the source of the problem before tackling the aftermath. Basic equation, right?

4. Get to work. Here’s where the fun part begins. Time to battle those spores!

  1. Install a HEPA filter in your vacuum (we used an industrial ShopVac, as we had a lot of square footage to cover!) and begin vacuuming any large spores you can see. Don’t be afraid to use your rubber gloves, as this step is sometimes labor-intensive and your vacuum will need all the help it can get!
  2. Invest in a proper-sized dehumidifier (we used this model) and keep humidity below 60% to avoid additional mold growth. You’ll want to check on your dehumidifier every few hours, depending on the amount of moisture you may have in the area. We found emptied ours at least six times over the course of a 24-hour period.
  3. Once all mold is vacuumed, use a garden sprayer to apply AfterShock directly onto the moldy surfaces. We found it less expensive to buy the concentrated chemical and mix/dilute it with water at home. (According to the instructions!)
  4. Spray the AfterShock formula thoroughly on small areas then brush with a plastic-bristled broom. Repeat until entire surface area has been treated. Note: Although mold doesn’t grow on concrete, it’s important to treat these areas, as well.
  5. Continue emptying out your dehumidifier. You may notice a build-up on the coils from your chemicals and mold. If so, simply remove the coils and wipe clean with a damp cloth.
Goodbye, moldy ceiling!

Goodbye, moldy ceiling!

That’s it! Less difficult/daunting than it may seem if done correctly. Although time-consuming, we saved a lot of money by tackling the job ourselves. Ready for the breakdown?

A quote from a national mold remediation company estimated that the job would take one week and $28,000. Our DIY version? Three weeks and $550. A job well done, right?

Of course, you can bet that after we’ve cleared our home of mold, we’ll be investing heavily in mold prevention forever.

And now, the light at the end of the tunnel? A video treat for those who have stuck around through the ugly parts of this renovation: our inspiration board! Enjoy, and we’ll see you next week!

FILED UNDER:

Design Inspiration

32 Responses

  1. I beloved up to you will receive carried out proper here. The comic strip is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nevertheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you want be delivering the following. sick surely come more previously once more as precisely the similar nearly a lot steadily inside of case you defend this increase.

  2. Anche io devo cambiare le gomme e volevo provare le Michelin ma sono praticamente introvabili! Mi hanno chiesto 700 per le Dunlop (anche queste di trovano difficilmente) e 800 per le Continental 5 dal gommista e 700 da gommadiretto conpreso il montaggio. Che mi consigliate????? giadecia

Leave a Reply

Latest Pins on Pinterest

  • As seen on the HGTV & DIY Network series, Rehab Addict.

  • #TBT Favorite bedrooms from HGTV Dream Homes past

  • #TBT Favorite bedrooms from HGTV Dream Homes past

  • #TBT Favorite bedrooms from HGTV Dream Homes past