One of my favorite things about summer is the cool evening after a blistering hot day. Wouldn’t it be dreamy to sleep outside this time of year?

sleeping-porch-11

In the early 20th century, many people took advantage of the cool night air and slept on their screened-in sleeping porches. Luckily for us, these porches are being integrated into 21st century design and decor, and I couldn’t be happier.

Porch beds with rustic bed frames and mosquito nets make any space romantic.

Sleeping porches are popular at lake homes, and this one is beautifully cabin-esque.

Many older farmhouses are blessed with sleeping porches, and I love the simple style and decor.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to be rocked to sleep by a swinging porch bed? Check out these vintage bed swings.

Quilt bedding reflects country style and decor of traditional sleeping porches.

These modern porch beds use straight lines and contemporary furnishings to make a fresh, new statement.

Discover more about sleeping porches and their 21st century comeback.

Design Inspiration

1. Tonja Morris says:

One of my biggest dreams. Here in the NW we get few chances for it, but put sleeping porches on the top of my wish list!

2. :Lark says:

No. There'd be a spider in the bed.

3. averillcox says:

Just gone through the Sleeping Porches,they all are great,they are looking simple and comfortable in the pictures.

hard drive media player

4. Susan Schultz says:

When my dad was growing up in southern Louisiana they often slept outside on the side porch…mostly because it was so hot and secondly because it was the only porch with screens.

5. Lahri says:

Beautiful Porches!

6. Stella says:

Beautiful Porches!

7. davidmorgan says:

It looks awesome and fabulous. The arrangement made is really good and place selection is the best. It looks attractive with the design and sophisticated arrangement. I like it at first glance.

bravissimo voucher code

8. LynnCoggin says:

Thanks so much for this post on Sleeping Porches. I have one! And a couple of years ago, my husband and I built a swinging bed and hung it on the second floor sleeping porch which is screened in. I would love to post a picture but am not sure if I can do that. Let me know if there is a way to post a photo.

Thanks HGTV!

Living the Dream!

9. @taunitweets says:

oh my goodness. Love these sleeping porches…so jealous each time I crack the Pottery Barn catalog.

10. Buzz Light Year Toy says:

They look so cozy. I'll include this in my wish list. Thanks for the great idea.