I have a feeling that the second I hit “Publish” on this post, my mother will come bursting into the front door, scoring tool in tow, scolding me for even considering wallpaper as a viable wall treatment for our home. Yet I can’t help it, Mom, because wallpaper is back and it’s killing me.

design_for_mankind 2010-08-17 at 5.27.42 PMThis Charlotte Mann photo shoot sealed the deal.

Yes, I realize wallpaper can be painstaking to apply and, yes, even more ridiculous to remove, but for a gal afraid of pattern, it’s a must-do in order to conquer my fears.

design_for_mankind 2010-08-17 at 4.47.46 PM

This is precisely why I’ve chosen not one, not two, but THREE wallpapers to feature in my home, among other treatments I’ll mention below. Because I’ll be painting the bulk of my home white in a glorious Olympic shade, I’m in desperate need of something textural to break up the monochromatic color scheme. Behold, my top picks:

design_for_mankind 2010-08-17 at 5.07.10 PM

1. Black & White Tree Bark Velvet Flocked Wallpaper at Design Your Wall
2. Vivienne Westwood Wallpaper at Cole & Son
3. Random Geometry Wallpaper at Hermitage

design-happens-emily-henderson-sunroomEmily’s Wallpapered Room

Beautiful, yes? And after seeing dear Emily Henderson rock the wallpapered look in this week’s Design Star episode, I can’t wait to splash my own walls with super contemporary wallpaper.

Of course, bold patterns won’t work in some rooms, so we’re opting for a few cedar walls (in our master suite, for example) and white wood paneling to add a bit of character to the otherwise boring spots. I know, Mom, you’re also rolling your eyes at the wood paneling, but I promise it will be gorgeous and not at all cause for alarm.

design_for_mankind 2010-08-17 at 4.56.15 PM

We’re also thinking about adding character by faking it till we make it. I’m talking faux molding here, which is sometimes a no-no, but in my book? Well, anything goes.

design_for_mankind 2010-08-17 at 5.17.53 PM

Stay tuned to see what we come up with. As for now, I’m off to tackle siding with Husband (a decidedly un-fun project). Wish me luck. You’ll see our progress next week!

Design Inspiration

1. Jess says:

Yes! I love wallpaper and am having a hard time convincing the mister that it's so it right now! I love your choices too – they are so you! a nice mix of fun (which you most certainly are!)

can't wait to see the finished product!!!!

2. erin / dfm says:

you're too sweet, jess — thank you! :)

3. Jaimie says:

is there a link to the polka dot wallpaper? please.

4. erin / dfm says:

Hi Jaimie:

I can't seem to source the exact wallpaper, but have you ever tried wallpapering with wrapping paper? Works much the same with some craft glue and precision. This design would work particularly well: http://www.nstatepackaging.com/Polka-Dot-Pearl-GI

If you're up for a less permanent solution, I'd recommend painting your wall a silver, pearl color with white vinyl polka dot decals!: http://www.decalrocket.com/index.php?main_page=pr

Good luck!
    e.

5. Valeria says:

Love the geometry wall paper. It's hard work, but doing just one "accent" wall can look just as great!

6. caroline says:

I especially love the Vivienne Westwood paper. The blue and white look so crisp together – I think it would be lovely with all your white walls and wood accents. The geometric blue and white also reminds me of Sashiko embroidery, which feels very clean and modern even though it's a traditional stitching technique.

Can't wait to see what's next!

7. erin / dfm says:

Thanks, ladies — and yes, Valeria — I completely agree with one accent wall!

8. [...] Source -Guest Blogger: Design for Mankind at From The Right Bank -The Royal (Wall) Treatment(s) at HGTV.com -Three Good Things at The House That DFM Built -Design is in the Details at FLOR -The Genius of [...]

9. fixitgirl says:

After removing wallpaper a fixing the sheetrock in every house we have ever owned I will never wallpaper another wall even if it is done the "right" way or is the hottest trend out there. Good luck to those who indulge. I am sure it will look fabulous but not for me…never….(yes, I really said never)

10. erin / dfm says:

Ha — I definitely agree that it's not for everyone and can be a LOT of work! Thanks for weighing in, fixitgirl!